Chapman Fall 2012 Applicants

@observe and @anaos, that great!

I am really starting to worry that something is wrong with my application or something. My webadvisor still says "Decision Pending". Any advice on anything I can do? Who to talk to/e-mail to find out what's going on, why my admission is going so slow?

@let's do this

Thanks a lot, just called and she gave me a run down of the decision making process. Said that decisions are still being made this week so I was misinformed previously when I was told I would have a letter in hand by the end of the week. Looks like the wait continues.

- Derek

Hey Derek, what exactly did she tell you about the decision-making process? I am a priority applicant and it doesn't seem like anyone has received a rejection letter yet, so that's where I expect to end up since I haven't heard back yet.

And weezinsuffy: who did you interview with? Alex Rose? John Badham? Andy Lane?

I swear I check my webadvisor every half hour and since 3/19 it has said "Decision pending." I applied for MFA in screenwriting. I am getting nervous now, and am also kinda annoyed because graduation is right around the corner....I just feel like 'decision pending' will NEVER change.

@south Andy Lane. Congrats @let's @anaos @observe - what emphasis did you all apply for ?

Screenwriting. Regular Deadline

I also made a Directing application. I'll probably ask them what they thought about my materials for that. I should visit the campus soon, might make a road trip out of it...

Contact Krystle Hobson, she's super patient and does what she can.

@Derek Shoults
No problem.

@Smallvillefan16
It does change. Hang in there! And see my earlier post on this page.

@weezinsuffy
MBA/MFA, so producing for the Dodge side.

@anaos
The campus is really nice, you should definitely visit if you can.

My WebAdvisor hasn't changed either. I applied before the priority deadline. MFA Screenwriting.

But I will be declining regardless because I accepted an admissions offer to another school. Hopefully if I get in (and then decline), that will open up another spot for someone here on the forums.

This is interesting. My WebAdvisor has also been on "Pending" since 3/19. MFA Screenwriting. It looks like the majority of us who are still just hanging in there are Screenwriting applicants.

@Southbound

What she said was that the process is in two parts: a creative part and an academic part. The creative part is decided by Dodge and they look at your creative skills, portfolio, and supplemental materials and decide whether they would like to have you. Then, if they don't reject you, the decision turns over to Chapman's graduate department who decide if they should accept you based on academic merit. We are currently in the academic phase. Chapman is taking a bit longer this year decided based on academic reasons and, apparently, with the screenwriting applicants. That's all I know.

- Derek

Congratulations to all of you who have recently received an acceptance letter. For those who will be going to Dodge, you can choose to get in touch and get acquainted on this forum at Chapman new students fall 2012 (http://www.studentfilms.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8661022734/m/1080059546), or at a Facebook page created by Dodge especially for the fall 2012 entering class which is described here on Dodge blog(http://blogs.chapman.edu/dodge/2012/01/31/dodge-college-facebook-groups-better-faster-stronger/). Enjoy the exciting transition to this next phase of your life and career.

==============
@Mike_V and any other current students - congratulations on your upcoming commencement in about 10 days. You did it. Now go forth and make some great, exciting, dramatic, inspiring, funny, or __________ films that give the incoming class a higher bar to shoot for.

Anyone on here apply for/hear back for the editing emphasis? My status is still decision pending so I'm hoping they just haven't gotten around to sending decisions for editing yet.

Originally posted by lite1:
==============
@Mike_V and any other current students - congratulations on your upcoming commencement in about 10 days. You did it. Now go forth and make some great, exciting, dramatic, inspiring, funny, or __________ films that give the incoming class a higher bar to shoot for.

Thanks. It's an exciting time of my life that I'm looking forward to.

@welch742: it's a rolling application kinda thing. So when they decide, you'll see the change in web advisor. when you see it, you can probably give chapman's admin office a call and ask directly.

@welch742
I've been keeping track of how many people have applied to what emphases on the first page (http://www.studentfilms.com/ev...734/m/9410042346/p/1 ) of this board. So far, you are the only one on the forums applying for editing this year. Of course, I am sure there are a lot more editing applicants out there but they just haven't posted yet. (PLUG: Lurkers, come out, come out)

Originally posted by Smallvillefan16:
another day and still no change...i'm starting to lose excitement. :(

@Smallvillefan16 and those still waiting

Ah yes, the waiting game. Trust me, you'll gain all that excitement back when you're reading your admission letter :D . I made some comments on page 7 (http://www.studentfilms.com/ev...734/m/9410042346/p/7 ) back when I was still waiting and I think some of that advice still applies.

1. Breathe! I know it's nerve-wracking waiting for something that you have no idea when it's coming, but that's just how it's going to be. Keep yourself preoccupied--some here have suggested filming new projects, writing scripts, or taking on a side job or a hobby. Just do something. Otherwise you'll go batty waiting.

2. It's really therapeutic to read last year's Chapman board (http://www.studentfilms.com/ev...2734/m/654100937/p/6). It only takes like, 15-20 tops to read. Go through it. And if you still don't believe (and have time), go back another year and read their posts. Same emotions, fears, and waiting. Last year, some found out all the way up to August (although hopefully you won't have to wait that long). But know that some of us applied by Feb 1 and just found out recently. And some who applied by then are still waiting.

3. It's been mentioned before that Krystle Hobson is this year's film school liason in the grad admission office. Contact her. Ask when can you expect a decision.

4. If you're losing motivation, re-read your essays and supplemental materials. Remember why you applied in the first place and recall your future goals. School or no school, you should still work towards your goals.

5. (OPTIONAL) If you can manage it, contact current students in your emphasis. Ask them all the questions you would want answered if you got in. Have a cursory idea of what your next steps would be if you do get in (ie, financial, housing, moving). That way, if you do get a letter, you'll already hit the ground running than starting from scratch. Granted, this step leads to higher expectations, so it's up to you.

LDT out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel bad, it seems this is all I do on these forums, but I have ill tidings once again.

I got a call yesterday from Ezra in the Dodge Graduate Admissions office. He said that he spoke directly with the Director of Graduate Admissions from Chapman who told him that certain applications are taking longer than expected this year. The bad news: it could be another two weeks before they finish with all of the graduate admissions.

I do feel at this point that things have gotten past the grace period and for those who, like me, do not live in California, it is becoming increasingly difficult to plan a possible move without knowing if I need to. It will be nearly June by the time we find out and that leaves me with barely a month to find an apartment near Chapman, find tenants for the apartment I live in now, move, get financial aid, etc. Chapman really needs to fix this.

Anyway, sorry for the bad news and the rant, but this is my only outlet at the current time. Hope everyone else gets good news soon.

- Derek

Hey Derek,

No reason to feel bad about any of this. Some of us have an overseas trip to plan if accepted and it's all up to the whim of Chapman when they'll serve us the news.

I'm starting to look at this as a bad joke - "decisions will be rolling out in the next two weeks" has been the catch phrase for the past 2 months. I think my first thesis film will be named that, if accepted. Any screenwriters wanna give that one a shot?

P.S. I am a producing applicant. Applied priority.

-Gueorgui

@georgizdr

I would love to write that, as a screenwriting applicant myself. It could be an ensemble piece, about one student from every emphasis dealing with the stress and lack of communication from the graduate admissions office at Chapman.

- Derek

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back