Chapman MFA Directing 2020

Hey guys, just finished my interview with a professor. I was really nervous but overall the interview is quite good .( but the professor spend some time finding my Skype because my account is too complicated... remember to set an easy one...)
He asked me about my film I submitted and he asked if there are other stories that I would like to do in the future. Except the detailed future concept I handed in, I haven’t had another specific storyline so far, but I did share some themes and topic that I want to focus on, and we had a nice conversation on recent situation in the Eastern Asia. He also showed the strong points of their program, which really makes me try to think to attend this program even if other really good program offer me a space. He said it is a “student-centric’ program and it fully focuses on “training a director”; besides, the professor there are all willing to help students to get intern opportunities.
He said the interview will keep going the next three weeks and the result will come out maybe within a month.
My advice for all of you is to be yourself and frankly speak out your voice and thoughts, and everything will be fine!

Last edited:
Hey guys, just finished my interview with a professor. I was really nervous but overall the interview is quite good .( but the professor spend some time finding my Skype because my account is too complicated... remember to set an easy one...)
He asked me about my film I submitted and he asked if there are other stories that I would like to do in the future. Except the detailed future concept I handed in, I haven’t had another specific storyline so far, but I did share some themes and topic that I want to focus on, and we have a nice conversation on recent situation in the Eastern Asia. He also showed the strong points of their program, which really makes me try to think to attend this program even if other really good program offer me a space. He said it is a “student-centric’ program and it fully focuses on “training a director”; besides, the professor there are all willing to help students to get intern opportunities.
He said the interview will keep going the next three weeks and the result will come out maybe within a month.
My advice for all of you is to be yourself and frankly speak out your voice and thoughts, and everything will be fine!
So you mean they are still sending out interview invites or it's gonna take them three weeks to finish interviewing the current pool of candidates?

So you mean they are still sending out interview invites or it's gonna take them three weeks to finish interviewing the current pool of candidates?
I am not sure whether they are still sending out the requests, cause he just told me all of the interview will end within three weeks. So far I see the interviews are arranged till next week. I think maybe wait for another week and see if they will send out more emails. It seems that there is still some time to interview other applicants.

Hey guys, does anyone know how many people there are in directing discipline each year? I’ve heard it’s a small class
@IndecisiveElle probably knows. Check out the interview with her here:

Q& A With Danni (aka IndecisiveElle), Chapman Directing MFA Student

Q& A With Danni (aka IndecisiveElle), Chapman Directing MFA Student

“Film School is still Graduate School... you're still getting a master's and there's still traditional work that has to be done. And a lot of people just thought like, oh well I’ll just come here and make a bunch of movies.” Danni sitting with camera in kitchen - for her very first assignment...

Sorry for not checking the site soon enough to respond! I heard from the professors that interviewed me that each discipline has 20 students.
No worries!

Is Chapman your first choice of film school? I am as well waiting for the result of USC, and wondering which program fit me the most.
The professor from Chapman told me it’s very competitive to be the director in USC, and I’ve also heard others said that it’s mostly difficult for non-native speaker. While the professor from Chapman guaranteed me that student from directing discipline will definitely get enough chances to direct our movies.
But you know, USC gained really high reputation and it’s undeniable that it’s really an excellent film school for their alumni network and resources.

Last edited:
No worries!

Is Chapman your first choice of film school? I am as well waiting for the result of USC, and wondering which program fit me the most.
The professor from Chapman told me it’s very competitive to be the director in USC, and I’ve also heard others said that it’s mostly difficult for non-native speaker. While the professor from Chapman guaranteed me that student from directing discipline will definitely get enough chances to direct our movies.
But you know, USC gained really high reputation and it’s undeniable that it’s really an excellent film school for their alumni network and resources.
Yeah I hear you. I think Chapman is my #1. Chapman funds some of their student films and let's you direct a lot. USC doesn't give much guidance, and they don't always let you direct films. It's a more open and exploratory school. I like that Chapman is focused and more disciplined, but that's just me. If you feel like you want to explore other aspects of media, then I'd say USC is a better pick, but for me, I want to direct, and I think Chapman offers more help and resources than USC for directors.

Yeah I hear you. I think Chapman is my #1. Chapman funds some of their student films and let's you direct a lot. USC doesn't give much guidance, and they don't always let you direct films. It's a more open and exploratory school. I like that Chapman is focused and more disciplined, but that's just me. If you feel like you want to explore other aspects of media, then I'd say USC is a better pick, but for me, I want to direct, and I think Chapman offers more help and resources than USC for directors.
May I ask what your major is in undergraduate? My major is English language and literature and I studied in filmmaking only for two semesters when I was in somewhere else as an exchange student, so I haven’t really got a formal training in filmmaking like using the camera, lighting or other hard skills.
My ultimate goal is to be a narrative film director. But I am wondering whether I should go to a program with completed training in every aspect of filmmaking cause it seems that a director should as well expertise in all of the filmmaking skills
or I should go directly to the program specifically specialize in directing.

May I ask what your major is in undergraduate? My major is English language and literature and I studied in filmmaking only for two semesters when I was in somewhere else as an exchange student, so I haven’t really got a formal training in filmmaking like using the camera, lighting or other hard skills.
My ultimate goal is to be a narrative film director. But I am wondering whether I should go to a program with completed training in every aspect of filmmaking cause it seems that a director should as well expertise in all of the filmmaking skills
or I should go directly to the program specifically specialize in directing.
My undergraduate was a double major in communication and film. I hear what you're saying. If you want to take more classes in other areas besides directing, then USC really is the best choice for you. Chapman's curriculum is more focused, and they leave only a few slots for additional electives, which fits me very well because I'm relatively confident in my basic knowledge of sound, design, editing, cinematography etc. In my personal opinion, I don't think you need to know all the technical details of every filmmaking department in order to be a good director. If you choose Chapman, I'm 100% sure you will learn what you need to know about all the different departments in filmmaking that is necessary for a director to know. And you can always take different classes, ask your classmates, or ask faculty about anything you're unsure about. If you disagree and really feel like you need more room to explore other departments in-depth, then certainly USC is a better pick for you. Its all subjective though and up to personal preference. That's just my two cents.

Okay folks series finale came early!
Chapman emailed me yesterday and told me I wasn't accepted into directing, but to consider my second choice-- the screenwriting MFA. Anybody else get something similar? I thought it strange to say we like you for our school . . . but not for directing. Lol

Hi guys! Does anyone have any idea if the directing people are done with their interviews? I didn't get an interview request from Chapman but I got from USC, NYU, Columbia and LMU. So I was wondering how does Chapman select their candidates. I spoke with the admission counselor and she told me that as long asI don't get a response from them saying I've been rejected, my application is still in consideration. She also said that all applicants don't have to give an interview but I'm still worried as Chapman is my first choice. I'm an international student from India so I'm not familiar with the whole process.

Hi guys! Does anyone have any idea if the directing people are done with their interviews? I didn't get an interview request from Chapman but I got from USC, NYU, Columbia and LMU. So I was wondering how does Chapman select their candidates. I spoke with the admission counselor and she told me that as long asI don't get a response from them saying I've been rejected, my application is still in consideration. She also said that all applicants don't have to give an interview but I'm still worried as Chapman is my first choice. I'm an international student from India so I'm not familiar with the whole process.

This actually makes me feel a little bit better! I didn’t get an interview from Chapman and I thought I didn’t have a chance anymore but I guess there’s still hope if not everyone who gets in also gets an interview.

I did not get an interview nor do I blame them because I am not at all proud of my application I submitted to them a ha ha! Not too concerned about it though because I submitted a strong application to many other programs as you did!

I have still not heard anything from Chapman, but if they've been sending out interviews for over a month now, I'm not exactly sure what to think. It's odd that so many of us still dont know now that we're into march and weeks of interviews have already taken place, but I suppose they just like to spread out their process more than other schools.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back