Chapman MFA Directing Applicants 2021

liz_ard_

It was mostly just about my films/application materials and goals and they answered my questions. I had a lot. It was super casual and personal - not like an “interview” so much as a conversation. That’s why it’s a little harder to read! I got some great compliments on my storytelling though so even if I don’t get in, it’s encouraging feedback from film professors/industry professionals! They did say decisions will probably be end of March so I’m betting there is another round of interviews after this one. Don’t give up hope if you haven’t heard anything yet :)
Sounds really positive! Thanks for sharing :) Looking forward to mine next week!

liz_ard_

Mostly doing this for future applicants (or me again next year lol), BUT just had my interview with Michael Kowalski and Pavel Jech, both of whom were so frickin nice. We talked about why Chapman, recent films that felt like the kinds of projects I want to make, collaboration amongst students in the Production department, a bit about my Thesis Film Essay, pretty in depth about one of the films I submitted, and where else I'd applied. I asked questions throughout, it was very conversational and positive.
They said decisions would start going out mid March for about a two week window. Best of luck everyone 🤩

cheeeese3cake

Mostly doing this for future applicants (or me again next year lol), BUT just had my interview with Michael Kowalski and Pavel Jech, both of whom were so frickin nice. We talked about why Chapman, recent films that felt like the kinds of projects I want to make, collaboration amongst students in the Production department, a bit about my Thesis Film Essay, pretty in depth about one of the films I submitted, and where else I'd applied. I asked questions throughout, it was very conversational and positive.
They said decisions would start going out mid March for about a two week window. Best of luck everyone 🤩
omg congrats! did you, by any chance, ask whether they will still be sending out interview invites?

Husan

May I ask the specific question about collaboration? What question it is? it seems difficult.Thank you so much

liz_ard_

omg congrats! did you, by any chance, ask whether they will still be sending out interview invites?
I didn't, my guess is they're mostly finished (they sent a link to a calendar with available dates to schedule the interview and I chose one on the later side). But I may be totally wrong! There could be another cycle of interviews before mid-March.

liz_ard_

May I ask the specific question about collaboration? What question it is? it seems difficult.Thank you so much
I asked about how students in the screenwriting program are paired with directors for some of their early projects, and I was very curious about opportunities to work with the TV writing and producing program as well. The amount of collaboration involved in the Directing program is a big part of why it's one of my top choices, and I made that clear. Hope that helps!

Husan

I asked about how students in the screenwriting program are paired with directors for some of their early projects, and I was very curious about opportunities to work with the TV writing and producing program as well. The amount of collaboration involved in the Directing program is a big part of why it's one of my top choices, and I made that clear. Hope that helps!
Thank you so much!And I am sorry,what the more in-depth questions they ask about submitted film? In fact,I never studied film before,and so nervous I cant anwer their quetion at all.

liz_ard_

Thank you so much!And I am sorry,what the more in-depth questions they ask about submitted film? In fact,I never studied film before,and so nervous I cant anwer their quetion at all.
Yeah, they just asked me to tell them a bit about the conception of the idea and we went on to discuss the themes, some of the choices I made to achieve the tone, what some of the reference points were, etc.
I think if you are passionate about your project and know what you were trying to say with it, that will come through when you speak. So I wouldn't stress about it! You got this!

cheeeese3cake

I didn't, my guess is they're mostly finished (they sent a link to a calendar with available dates to schedule the interview and I chose one on the later side). But I may be totally wrong! There could be another cycle of interviews before mid-March.
I see I see. Thank you.

Hey, I just mailed the admissions department about the decisions and they told me that they will be out somewhere in mid March. Although, I haven’t really received an interview notification. Should I be worried about it? Most of the people here have already been interviewed here

yd_new

Same, I haven’t heard back from Chapman at all. It seems like the interview request were sent out from reading the comments here.

Vicky H

I received an invitation of the event, introducing the school and program. but my friend who also applied Chapman didn't receive it. DOes it mean anything?

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Brooklyn College (CUNY) Feirstein - MFA in Cinematography
    1.00 star(s)
    A Mess
    It took me a while to write this review but when I saw there were none from current students I felt it was important to do so. I came to Feirstein...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Undergraduate Film & Television
    5.00 star(s)
    I had a great time here but that was back in the late 90s
    I loved NYU. I was a pre-med student who transferred in 1999 and graduated 2001. I received two scholarships, multiple grants and loans. They had...
    • anniewaits
  • Boston University - College of Communication (M.F.A. Screenwriting)
    4.00 star(s)
    Screenwriting Program Review by a Second Year Student
    Current student in the screenwriting MFA program at BU. There’s a lot to love in this program, I think overall it is one of the more underrated...
    • Cody Young
  • Hofstra University - Department of Radio, Television, Film
    5.00 star(s)
    Quality Facilities, Caring Professors
    Great school that prepares you for the New York film and television scene. The facilities are state of the art and the teachers are top notch.
    • joekgilberto
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications