Chapman MFA Screenwriting Applicants 2021

Yep! I'll be there. For a second I thought it was an interview notification haha. I did atttend the Judd Apatow masterclass back in December and really enjoyed it. Anyway, Chapman needs to hurry up with these notifications! I'm growing impatient. 🤬
I also attended the Judd Apatow Master Class! I thought it was fun and I enjoyed his anecdotes. Do you think this is a good sign about admission?! I really wish all these schools would hurry up with notifications toooooo!

I also attended the Judd Apatow Master Class! I thought it was fun and I enjoyed his anecdotes. Do you think this is a good sign about admission?! I really wish all these schools would hurry up with notifications toooooo!
This could be a good sign, but I don't know lol. At least we'll get 1 hour of Zoom time with Barry Jenkins so that'll calm my nerves for a few days.

Question to the group -- Just out of curiousity why did you all apply to this program? I know it's a top 10 film school (currently ranked 6th). I'd love to hear your thoughts. Pros/cons if any. I'll start.

Pros:
- Close to home, so if I got in (assuming I get in) I could live rent free (a big plus and money saver cause OC could be a little pricey)
- State of the art facility (although this does not mean much for screenwriters)
- Solid faculty plus some new lecturers with legit credts in film/TV
- Solid alumni (lots of Dodge alum work in the industry and really look out for each other)
- Great connection with Netflix
- Stephen Galloway was named Dean last year, which helps boosts Chapman's reputation

Cons:
- I believe they only give out a limited number of scholarships (at the most $20,000 for the duration of the program), which means we're responsible for the rest. So that means $$$$
- Chapman is located in Orange County, so roughly 45 minutes south of LA
- This one is a personal one, but for some reason I was unable to speak to a current MFA Screenwriting student at Chapman. The only person I manage to get a hold of was from the TV Writing/Producing student, but it's a slightly different track for Screenwriting

I'm not too jazzed about the Master Class being at 10pm my time (7pm California time) 😭I teach at 8am Thursday morning.
Right?? It’ll be midnight for me and I work at 8! But totally worth it!

Question to the group -- Just out of curiousity why did you all apply to this program? I know it's a top 10 film school (currently ranked 6th). I'd love to hear your thoughts. Pros/cons if any. I'll start.

Pros:
- Close to home, so if I got in (assuming I get in) I could live rent free (a big plus and money saver cause OC could be a little pricey)
- State of the art facility (although this does not mean much for screenwriters)
- Solid alumni (lots of Dodge alum work in the industry and really look out for each other)
- Stephen Galloway was named Dean last year, which helps boosts Chapman's reputation

Cons:
- I believe they only give out a limited number of scholarships (at the most $20,000 for the duration of the program), which means we're responsible for the rest. So that means $$$$
- This one is a personal one, but for some reason I was unable to speak to a current MFA Screenwriting student at Chapman. The only person I manage to get a hold of was from the TV Writing/Producing student, but it's a slightly different track for Screenwriting
I agree with everything you stated above. Besides that, for me, as an international applicant, Orange is easier and cheaper to live in than LA!

But the thing is, at least for me, I didn’t know a lot about Chapman before starting to search schools. So I was a little in the dark and I decided to participate in the info session. That was when I actually fell in love with the faculty and Dodge!

This one is a personal one, but for some reason I was unable to speak to a current MFA Screenwriting student at Chapman. The only person I manage to get a hold of was from the TV Writing/Producing student, but it's a slightly different track for Screenwriting
Try to reach out to @IndecisiveElle . She should be able to hook you up with a current screenwriting student. @WriterGirl33 is also a current student. @alanray as well.

Pros:

Cons:
I applied for a few reasons: it was in the top 10 MFA screenwriting schools (i told myself if I was going to sell my soul in the form of student loans it would have to be for a top program), I like that it's not in LA properly, I like the alumni associated with Chapman, and I think the current students at the info sessions were really helpful and seemed super nice. Those are my only reasons really 💁🏽‍♀️ well and the fact that I want to write screenplays for a living hahaha

Anyone remember the date or rough time frame that Dodge is sending out decision notifications? I honestly can't remember haha

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back