Chapman MFA TV Writing & Producing Applicants 2021

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
Didn't see a Chapman TV Writing & Producing thread yet so thought I'd create one.

Deadline is December 1st!

How many of you have turned it in? When do you plan on turning it in if you haven't?

I highly recommend not waiting to the last moment btw as one year technical difficulties caused someone to miss the deadline. 😬

Good luck everyone!

hi guys! the rush of applying has settled and now i'm just ready for the good news. i made an account on here to find some people who are in the same boat and maybe get ahead on making some friends :)

HI I know no one else has posted on here, but in hopes someone might see this anyway, I just got an interview! I am very excited! I am going to need to practice my interview skills, so if anyone has any tips, I would love to hear them!

Congrats! As a current student who interviewed last year let me know if you have any questions/need tips!
I would love to hear what you talked about in your interview. Also what kind of writing you do and what your experience level was going into the application process. I feel like I am definitely behind since I only have one draft of a pilot, but in an info session they said that experience doesn't make or break an applicant. Do you think that's true?

I would love to hear what you talked about in your interview. Also what kind of writing you do and what your experience level was going into the application process. I feel like I am definitely behind since I only have one draft of a pilot, but in an info session they said that experience doesn't make or break an applicant. Do you think that's true?

From what I remember is a really casual interview. They usually ask why you chose Chapman/the program and what you’re watching right now on tv. I vaguely remember also being asked if I was working on anything currently.

Prior to starting I did my undergrad in screenweiting and took a UCLA certificate program for a year in tv writing so I had some experience. I definitely don’t think your lacking, plus you managed to get an interview so that’s a great sign! Everyone comes into grad school with different skill levels/backgrounds and that’s what makes it an enjoyable experience.

From what I remember is a really casual interview. They usually ask why you chose Chapman/the program and what you’re watching right now on tv. I vaguely remember also being asked if I was working on anything currently.

Prior to starting I did my undergrad in screenweiting and took a UCLA certificate program for a year in tv writing so I had some experience. I definitely don’t think your lacking, plus you managed to get an interview so that’s a great sign! Everyone comes into grad school with different skill levels/backgrounds and that’s what makes it an enjoyable experience.
Okay, thank you so much! That's very encouraging. I am relieved to hear it is casual.

Also, just curious, is there a lot of overlap between your undergrad/ UCLA program and the Chapman program? Or I guess how are they different. Do you think this program is more hands-on when it comes to the writing and producing?

Okay, thank you so much! That's very encouraging. I am relieved to hear it is casual.

Also, just curious, is there a lot of overlap between your undergrad/ UCLA program and the Chapman program? Or I guess how are they different. Do you think this program is more hands-on when it comes to the writing and producing?
You’re welcome!

There’s definitely a certain level of overlap in terms of the writing courses because theres only so many ways you can teach the same structure. But so far it’s been really beneficial and I already feel like a stronger writer. But the program also has a lot of other classes that I’ve never been exposed to like a production management class.

In terms of hands on production things, it’s kind of all over the place right now because of COVID. I personally haven’t done any hands-on production things but there have been some productions going on hear and there I believe.

good luck to everyone on interviews this upcoming week! i hope that more people find this forum so we can either celebrate together or commiserate :)

How did your interview go?! What questions did they ask? I hope it went well!
It went very well! It was very conversational like people before me have said. We talked about what my experience was and why I wanted to go to Chapman. Then we talked about what kinds of TV shows I watch and that kind of thing. It definitely felt like they just wanted to get to know me instead of grilling me, which I thought was great.

It went very well! It was very conversational like people before me have said. We talked about what my experience was and why I wanted to go to Chapman. Then we talked about what kinds of TV shows I watch and that kind of thing. It definitely felt like they just wanted to get to know me instead of grilling me, which I thought was great.
That's great! Be sure to update your application with this info in its notes section. :)

Just did my interview! Thanks for relaying your experience, it was definitely helpful. Mine felt less casual than the one I did with Columbia College Chicago, but it still seemed to go pretty well (fingers crossed). They asked detailed questions about my experience in undergrad and in my internship to start and then transitioned into a more conversational structure about which TV shows I enjoy watching and my inspirations. All in all not too bad.

If there's anyone left still waiting to interview, I would recommend coming with 5-6 good questions ready to go. They covered about half of my questions through their explanations of the program, so I'm very glad I prepared many as I did. I'd say almost half of the interview was spent answering my questions.

Now comes the wait for decisions... Best of luck everyone!

I would recommend coming with 5-6 good questions ready to go. They covered about half of my questions through their explanations of the program, so I'm very glad I prepared many as I did.
If you want, can you share some of your questions and their responses?

If you want, can you share some of your questions and their responses?
I asked about the collaborative nature of their program and how students are paired together on projects. They said that graduate students work together throughout and that TV writers/producers will essentially work with a directing student to flesh out and develop projects. They also mentioned that you occasionally work with undergrads as well.
They had a lot to say about how they connect students to internships, but it generally seems that there is a robust program in place that helps connect and prepare students for opportunities in the industry, wherever it seems they are most interested in building a career, and that they offer a lot of direction and assistance.
My last question was about what makes for a successful student and how I can prepare myself before fall to be successful in their program. They really focused on how having an open mind and recognizing that you don't know everything is essential for their program. They want students to be receptive to their methods and to be prepared to learn things the way they want to be taught, or at least try things their way (even if you disagree).

Hope this helps!

I asked about the collaborative nature of their program and how students are paired together on projects. They said that graduate students work together throughout and that TV writers/producers will essentially work with a directing student to flesh out and develop projects. They also mentioned that you occasionally work with undergrads as well.
They had a lot to say about how they connect students to internships, but it generally seems that there is a robust program in place that helps connect and prepare students for opportunities in the industry, wherever it seems they are most interested in building a career, and that they offer a lot of direction and assistance.
My last question was about what makes for a successful student and how I can prepare myself before fall to be successful in their program. They really focused on how having an open mind and recognizing that you don't know everything is essential for their program. They want students to be receptive to their methods and to be prepared to learn things the way they want to be taught, or at least try things their way (even if you disagree).

Hope this helps!
I'm so happy your interview went well! These are such good questions. I had two prepared just about internships and about auditing classes and only got to ask about auditing. I realized after I should have prepared more, but I still think it was ok. We didn't have a lot to talk about when they asked for my experience since I haven't done much so far, which is maybe why we jumped right into the conversational part. :) Good luck!

Hey guys! Does anyone have a guess on when decisions might be out? On the application tracker it says today is the earliest day, but I'm assuming it will be later than that.
Plus I don't want to be sitting refreshing the page for them to not come out until mid-March haha

Hey guys! Does anyone have a guess on when decisions might be out? On the application tracker it says today is the earliest day, but I'm assuming it will be later than that.
Plus I don't want to be sitting refreshing the page for them to not come out until mid-March haha
I received an email right after applying saying decisions would be released on a rolling basis mid-March until the end of April. During my interview, they said decisions would be going out in the middle to end of March.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back