Chapman - Television Writing & Production Undergraduate 2020

oliviaaa

Hey everyone! I'm setting up some threads for undergraduate programs as we get started with our applications/portfolios over the summer :) I'm trying to brainstorm my Personal Statement and Major Requirement Essay but when I sit down to write, my mind goes blank!

What's the major requirement essay?

Not sure if this is helpful as mine was for the grad program, but:

For my personal statement I talked about how I started in filmmaking and why I love cinematography. Then I dabbled a bit of personal things of why the timing is right for me to attend now, and the type of person I want to be. "With the help of Chapman, I can obtain these goals and be provided the tools needed to succeed." etc etc

What's the major requirement essay?

Not sure if this is helpful as mine was for the grad program, but:

For my personal statement I talked about how I started in filmmaking and why I love cinematography. Then I dabbled a bit of personal things of why the timing is right for me to attend now, and the type of person I want to be. "With the help of Chapman, I can obtain these goals and be provided the tools needed to succeed." etc etc

These are the two prompts:
Dodge College Personal Statement

In 500 words or less, tell us what about your distinct experiences/background/values makes you a unique candidate for the program for which you are applying. Please focus on what makes you unique as a person beyond any direct experience you may have in your intended field of study. Use this prompt to talk about aspects of yourself that are not already covered in other parts of your application.

Major Requirement Essay

Prompt: In no more than two (2) pages. Describe a television episode about your family. Is it a comedy or a drama? Who is the main character and why? What is the central conflict or problem dealt with in the episode? How is it resolved?

And yeah, I think what you did is a good idea! I think I just gotta clear my mind, clear out a time, and run through some first drafts :)

Hey! I'm applying to this major as well, and I think I might apply Early Decision, because the only school I would turn down Chapman for is USC, but ofc I'm probably not getting into USC. Do you think that's a good idea?

(also because Chapman would probably be cheaper than USC. I should be eligible for some scholarship money at Chapman)

Also, does anyone have any advice for the Chapman personal statement and/or TV episode essay? I'm trying not to overthink it and just go with my instinct, but I'm weirdly scared I'm gonna do something wrong

Hey! I'm applying to this major as well, and I think I might apply Early Decision, because the only school I would turn down Chapman for is USC, but ofc I'm probably not getting into USC. Do you think that's a good idea?

(also because Chapman would probably be cheaper than USC. I should be eligible for some scholarship money at Chapman)

Hey! Awesome to have more undergraduates on the forum :)

I think if you really wanna go for ED, go for it. I was trying to figure out the same but I think I'm only gonna apply EA because while Chapman's one of my top schools, I'm still holding out hope for USC lol. But especially if money is a problem, Chapman might be a better bet since I've heard they give good aid. The USC application deadline for SCA is the same as their merit scholarship deadline so it wouldn't hurt to still apply though.

I'm also with you on being scared to start my essays! It kind of made me feel better to think about it as them just wanting to get to know you, no pressure. Especially with collaborative, small majors like these, they want to create a diverse class so being yourself and telling your story is all they want really.

Hey! Awesome to have more undergraduates on the forum :)

I think if you really wanna go for ED, go for it. I was trying to figure out the same but I think I'm only gonna apply EA because while Chapman's one of my top schools, I'm still holding out hope for USC lol. But especially if money is a problem, Chapman might be a better bet since I've heard they give good aid. The USC application deadline for SCA is the same as their merit scholarship deadline so it wouldn't hurt to still apply though.

I'm also with you on being scared to start my essays! It kind of made me feel better to think about it as them just wanting to get to know you, no pressure. Especially with collaborative, small majors like these, they want to create a diverse class so being yourself and telling your story is all they want really.

Ya haha, the only reason I hesitate to apply ED for Chapman is because part of me thinks I'll magically get into USC AND be able to pay, but that probs won't happen and I really do love chapman. But yeah, I'm still gonna apply to USC no matter what, just in case. Thanks for the advice!!

Haven't started on this app but I've been brainstorming in my head! I need to get on it though since I'm applying EA ?

Haven't started on this app but I've been brainstorming in my head! I need to get on it though since I'm applying EA ?
When is the due date? (I really need to get to updating the site's Application deadline data for this year... Ha)

When is the due date? (I really need to get to updating the site's Application deadline data for this year... Ha)
The EA date is November 1st

Thanks! Just submitted yesterday :)

Thanks! Just submitted yesterday :)
Awesome! Good luck!

Be sure to add it to the application tracker.

See this for an example of how to add the application.

Check out our new LONG interview with the Chapman Film School Admissions department:

How to get into Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts: Tips from the Department of Admissions (Part 1)

How to get into Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts: Tips from the Department of Admissions (Part 1)

Rising to number 4 on The Hollywood Reporter's annual rankings of the top 25 American film schools in 2022, Dodge College of Film and Media Arts at Chapman University offers top-notch filmmaking courses in an intimate learning environment. Notable alumni include the Duffer brothers...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back