1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

Chapman University Film School Applications Fall 2018

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Operator, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Operator

Operator Active Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Anyone here apply for Chapman University? The deadline was December 1st, but I spoke to them today and they said I can still apply. I applied to the MFA in Television Writing and Producing.

2. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +453
    I did! - MFA Production - Directing. Waiting anxiously to see what happens next. I submitted Dec 1st and they watched some of my content before winter break.

They're a conservatory program so like AFI, they are sometimes flexible with their deadlines. And I have to say, I'm very impressed by how affordable Chapman is too (compared to other private schools especially).

3. Operator

Operator Active Member

Ratings:
    +110
    True, but if you wanna see cheap tuition check out U of Central Arkansas they have an MFA in Digital Filmmaking that is about $12k per year for out of state students. March 1st is their deadline.

4. IndecisiveElle

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +453
    I saw your post on the program a while back. Sounds interesting but it's not for me. Thanks though!

5. snoopdog

snoopdog Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I applied to MFA Production - Directing as well and was just wondering how you know they watched some of your content before winter break? Did they tell you or were you able to see this on the application portal? Just curious :)

Also, does Chapman have an interview round?

6. IndecisiveElle

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Yes they do interviews. Based on the tracking sheets of previous years where on the forums, they start sending invitations for interviews around now but they seem to be rolling so you could hear at anytime. Doesn't look like anyone is ever admitted without an interview, at least for Directing.

I have Vimeo Pro so I get statistics about when and where my videos are viewed. I also submitted different links to each school I applied to so i can track if they're being viewed. I do the same things for film festivals when I can.

7. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I think that the Screenwriting program doesn't require an interview. Maybe it's different for the Film Production program.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Operator

Operator Active Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Interview scheduled for Feb 20th. :)

• Congratulations! Congratulations! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. IndecisiveElle

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Mine is March 1st! You'll have to share your experience. I was really surprised how they make an all day event out of it and I'm really looking forward to it.

• Congratulations! Congratulations! x 3
  10. Anja

Anja Member

Ratings:
    +24
    @Operator @IndecisiveElle Congratulations! I hope everything goes well! I applied to Chapman as well (but a different program) and haven’t gotten an email yet :(

• Hang in there! Hang in there! x 1
  11. IndecisiveElle

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +453
    What program did you apply to? Not all of theirs have interviews according to previous accepted applicants. Stay patient and don't give up yet! It's still early.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fudso

Fudso Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I think I applied to the same program as you, FILM/TV Producing, and I haven't heard anything back either. Now, I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not, but I figured it would bring some peace of mind. I think ours come out soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dorothy

Dorothy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I applied to the Writing and Producing for Television program. Since I selected Screenwriting as my second choice program to be considered for in the application and I know screenwriting program doesn't do interviews, I assumemed writing/producing wouldn't do interviews as well. Lol.

14. hellobfoan

hellobfoan Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I applied for the same program as you, Fudso and Anja. Haven't heard back either.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Anja

Anja Member

Ratings:
    +24
    @IndecisiveElle Thank you for the kind words! :)

@Fudso @hellobfoan Cool, Thanks for sharing! I thought I was the only person in this forum who applied for that program haha Although I’m sorry you haven’t heard back yet either it does make me feel a bit better that maybe they haven’t sent out mails for this program yet - I hope we hear back soon! :)

16. Cameron Patel

Cameron Patel New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, does anyone know if the video editing emphasis has interviews?

17. Operator

Operator Active Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I suppose that would depend if you're going for an editing concentration for the production major.

18. IndecisiveElle

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Check the spreadsheets from the previous couple years or do a search in the forum. I can't remember off the top of my head what I've read on here about the editing program and interviews, but I'm sure someone has posted the info your looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Operator

Operator Active Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Just had my interview. Was easy. It was with three of the faculty via Skype. Very casual, they were very interested in hearing what TV shows I've been watching, what path led me in life to come to want to write for television. They said admissions decisions for the MFA in Television Writing and Producing are expected to go out first week of March, but may be later than that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cameron Patel

Cameron Patel New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for the past few days if the Editing Program for production has an interview but can’t really find any of the spreadsheets or information on it. Does anyone else know anything about it?