Choosing the best MA Filmmaking Program for Documentaries. Goldsmiths or UCL?

Which is the best MA Filmmaking program for Documentaries in the UK?

• Goldsmiths (MA in Filmmaking)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • UCL (MA Ethnographic and Documentary Filmmaking)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Edinburgh College of Art (MA Film Directing)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

docfilmmaker12

Hi! I'm shortlisted for a full-time scholarship award in the UK and now I have to pick the postgraduate program I would like to join. I'm keen on programs that focus on documentary filmmaking and so far I've narrowed down to 2 choices: Goldsmiths (MA Filmmaking--Screen Documentary Pathway) and UCL (MA Ethnographic and Documentary Filmmaking).

They both to have their pros and cons and now I'm really having a hard time picking my top choice. I've already received an unconditional offer from Goldsmiths, I'm just waiting on UCL (University College London), which I hope will be positive as well.

Can anyone who has attended any of these programs give some input? Thank you!

IndecisiveElle

Contributor
FilmSchool.org Writer
Chapman
Unfortunately we don't seem to have a lot of members that attend non-US film schools. But please keep us updated on what you decide! Hopefully you can be a good resource for future applications to both schools.

xLorenzoM

Chapman
Hi! I'm shortlisted for a full-time scholarship award in the UK and now I have to pick the postgraduate program I would like to join. I'm keen on programs that focus on documentary filmmaking and so far I've narrowed down to 2 choices: Goldsmiths (MA Filmmaking--Screen Documentary Pathway) and UCL (MA Ethnographic and Documentary Filmmaking).

They both to have their pros and cons and now I'm really having a hard time picking my top choice. I've already received an unconditional offer from Goldsmiths, I'm just waiting on UCL (University College London), which I hope will be positive as well.

Can anyone who has attended any of these programs give some input? Thank you!
Hey, so at one point I was considering doing film school in London. All the schools didn't seem very helpful though as when I emailed them for information it took ages for them to get back. My mom's side of my family lives in London so I go there a lot.

I randomly I visited Goldsmith's when I was in London in December. It seemed interesting but I never got a chance to go inside the building or anything. The interior seemed like a mini Hogwarts but idk I didn't really get the best vibe when I was there. I know this doesn't help at all but I thought I'd just throw in my $0.02.

The NFTS has the most notoriety in London so I'd check there first.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    2.00 star(s)
    Great Marketing, Subpar Reality
    I'm writing this review because there wasn't a lot of clear info when I was applying so I hope that this can offer some clarification beyond the...
    • Anonymous
    1.00 star(s)
    Hollywood Trash
    Overall, this school is what 'quantity over quality' means. The network they brag about is absolutely not as they market. The filmmakers who come...
    • soybean
    1.00 star(s)
    Questionable Investment
    If you don’t get a scholarship to attend USC I would advise against going. It’s too much money to throw away for a school with so many problems...
    • Anonymous
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    BEST use of your time!
    Thanks to professor Carl Haber I was able to learn the fundamentals of screenwriting and how to implement them. For the first time in my life, I'm...
    • pcasmur
  • UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous