Columbia 2014 Applicants

This message board has been a great help so thanks to everyone who has contributed. Also congrats to everyone who was accepted and wait-listed - that is a huge accomplishment. I know this is all speculation but some of you seem to have a decent idea on how this process unfolds (at least how it has in past years). So adding to what Fightclub said, is the consensus if you didn't hear anything at all chances are you didn't get in? I've read some posts that in the past people were accepted up to a week after the first call - is this year looking similar to past years? I realize this is all speculation but just curious what others thoughts are. Anyways congrats again to those that got the good news.

Well according to past threads it looked like the acceptance letters and calls were spread out. Someone was saying some people were informed a week later. So there's still a chance. Try logging in and seeing if there's a decision at the bottom.

GMF thanks a bunch for the response. I haven't heard anything and there has been no update to my application status. Out of curiosity, did any interview with Tom and Richard?

Hey everyone! I've been a lurker forever, but made an account to start paying it forward because this site has been so helpful! I applied to USC, NYU and Columbia (all for screenwriting). I'm in a state of shock because I got in to all 3 and now I have some decisions to make! As for Columbia, I didn't get a phone call or anything, so I thought it was bad news today when I got the e-mail to check my application for my admissions decision. Actually, I didn't hear anything from any of the schools really (except for the Columbia interview) until I got my decisions. So for anyone who hasn't received a phone call, don't be discouraged! I have no idea what I'm going to do, so if anyone has any insight to share with me, I'd be eternally grateful! I'm sorry to anyone who got bad news, film is such a grind and can be demoralizing but don't give up! To everyone on the wait list, count on at least 1 spot opening at 2 of those 3 schools! Sorry for any typos, I'm in line at a theme park but wanted to post in case it helps any lurkers or posters out there!

GMF thanks a bunch for the response. I haven't heard anything and there has been no update to my application status. Out of curiosity, did any interview with Tom and Richard?
I interviewed with Dan and Eric.
Hey everyone! I've been a lurker forever, but made an account to start paying it forward because this site has been so helpful! I applied to USC, NYU and Columbia (all for screenwriting). I'm in a state of shock because I got in to all 3 and now I have some decisions to make! As for Columbia, I didn't get a phone call or anything, so I thought it was bad news today when I got the e-mail to check my application for my admissions decision. Actually, I didn't hear anything from any of the schools really (except for the Columbia interview) until I got my decisions. So for anyone who hasn't received a phone call, don't be discouraged! I have no idea what I'm going to do, so if anyone has any insight to share with me, I'd be eternally grateful! I'm sorry to anyone who got bad news, film is such a grind and can be demoralizing but don't give up! To everyone on the wait list, count on at least 1 spot opening at 2 of those 3 schools! Sorry for any typos, I'm in line at a theme park but wanted to post in case it helps any lurkers or posters out there!

Wow, that's really awesome! Congrats! I got into NYU too (I assume dramatic writing?). PM me if you're planning on going. I'd love to connect with some more folks.

I had my interview with Tom and Richard :)

And I got wait listed as well. Disheartening, but at least it's not a rejection. Then again, just more stress until I actually hear a final decision. Hoping for the best, though. Congrats to all who got in!

Congrats to all those who got in, and good luck to those on the waiting list!!
cadencotard I hope you find a way to get to Columbia if this is really what you want, what with student loans and other scholarships... best of luck to you!
To those who got in several great film schools (lucky bastards ;)) and don't know what decision to make, I'd say go with your first instinct. What was the programme that made you the most anxious during this whole waiting trial even though the others are great?

Personally I haven't received anything, no phone call, no email, no nada, no nothing. It is quite nerve wrecking. Don't know if I'm in, on the waiting list, or out. When I saw people were getting their first phonecalls and that others knew they were waitlisted i figured i should expect a rejection, but that again, maybe not. There is no point in trying to understand how the admission process works, or why it takes up a week or more for all students to know. Anyway, i'm crossing my fingers haha :)))

I interviewed with Tom and Richard. It was on March 13th. I actually thought the interview went okay, not amazing great, but not horrible too. It was a nice pleasant middle, but looking back I know what I did wrong, or why I wasn't strong enough to get an acceptance, and getting wait-listed instead.

I hope you hear something soon! I know waiting sucks.

Does anyone have any idea how many people they interviewed? I know they accept like 42 students, and it sounds like if you didn't get an interview you weren't even considered.... So many unanswered questions! :confused:

I'm in the same situation as you deciding between USC, NYU, and Columbia. Are you leaning toward any program in particular? I'm mainly trying to decide between NYU and Columbia, but I'm having a rough time. They're both so great yet so different.

If you're in NYC this weekend, it might be good to drop by Columbia Saturday for the screening of an alum's film + Q&A, which you should've gotten an e-mail for. (I'll be there) I think it should be a great opportunity to ask questions and find more about the program. It's a tough choice, but I think the programs are different enough that if you know what you're looking for, the choice should be a bit easier.

I don't think you can go terribly wrong either way. I think it's just a matter of what program speaks to you more, for me the faculty and students really sold me on Columbia.

If you're in NYC this weekend, it might be good to drop by Columbia Saturday for the screening of an alum's film + Q&A, which you should've gotten an e-mail for. (I'll be there) I think it should be a great opportunity to ask questions and find more about the program. It's a tough choice, but I think the programs are different enough that if you know what you're looking for, the choice should be a bit easier.

I don't think you can go terribly wrong either way. I think it's just a matter of what program speaks to you more, for me the faculty and students really sold me on Columbia.

I'm feeling the same way. From what I've heard from the faculty and students, I'm really leaning toward Columbia at this point. Definitely let us know how this weekend goes! I won't be able to make it, unfortunately.

I'm feeling the same way. From what I've heard from the faculty and students, I'm really leaning toward Columbia at this point. Definitely let us know how this weekend goes! I won't be able to make it, unfortunately.

I applied last year for the MFA in Film to NYU, Columbia, Boston, USC and UCLA as an international student (from France). I was accepted in USC and NYU but wait-listed in Columbia. I visited NYU's campus many times and fell in love with their program every time. I had the chance to speak with faculty members and students enrolled there. I specifically liked how the department of design and the one of film collaborate together on projects. Some of the grad students there even told me they have students from Columbia asking for their help in projects.
Personally my heart goes to NYU and USC. Unfortunately I could not afford the programs, so I'm saving up to go in the following years. NYU/USC here I come!
I hope this was helpful... Good luck and Congratulations to all of you.

anyone who got into the Creative Producing course at Columbia and who wants to get in touch, discuss films and just talk in general I would love to hear from you. Just to figure out who ill be sharing classes with this fall! Email me at sashajohn21@gmail.com

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back