Columbia 2021 MFA Screenwriting/Directing Applicants

kikis_delivery

I really want to go to USC! Is that not your first choice? And I haven't heard from NYU either!
yes, i’d say usc is my first choice as well!! i guess it doesn’t really matter if nyu or columbia want me but i’m worried that the fact they didn’t interview me means i’m not that strong of an applicant in usc’s eyes either??

katiebonnie

Supporter
no..... :( feeling despondent. i haven't received one from nyu either, only usc
Yeah me too :confused: I haven't heard from nyu either and I thought that was my strongest application so losing confidence in usc thinking I'm any good. Buttt trying to stay positive and maybe lots of people deferred from last year?
yes, i’d say usc is my first choice as well!! i guess it doesn’t really matter if nyu or columbia want me but i’m worried that the fact they didn’t interview me means i’m not that strong of an applicant in usc’s eyes either??
If it's any consolation, I haven't heard from nyu or columbia but I did interview for afi so every school looks for something different - don't give up on usc :)

silvercolored

It's very subjective. I got Columbia, UCLA, AFI but not NYU or USC. There's no point in comparing them. That school liked you and that's amazing news:)

Holly.A

Curious for anyone that has interviewed.

Did you send a thank you note and was it responded to?
If memory serves me correctly, I did and I received a response, but it didn't change the outcome. I was pulled off the waitlist later in the summer. Sending thank you notes is always good practice.

Holly.A

Hi there, Thanks for this info, really helpful and clarifying :) Just had a couple of queries if that's still cool to ask:

I was just wondering if you'd be able to speak a little bit about the kinds of equipment available to CU students as each year progresses. There had been some mention of their camera range being a little lagging behind - but then also some people mentioning that they had recently invested in more up to date cameras/lenses. Of course cameras are not the be and end all but just wondering what is available to you guys in terms of actual equipment (in a non corona world).

Also just wondering how your classes on cinematography are. I was definitely drawn to CU for their storytelling, writer/director emphasis but also interested to know if they offer much practical/technical training in camera and lighting?
Canon C200, Panasonic AU-EVA1, Sony PXW-FS5, and then towards thesis year you get access to more. There is a cinematography class, but I'm not in it so I can't speak on it. There is a half semester class your first year in Audio, Lighting, or Camera and the othe half of the semester is editing with AVID.

did people who got interview requests submit earlier in the cycle?
No. I submitted an hour before the deadline.

It's a tough year to apply to certain directing programs like Columbia or AFI. I surmise that quite a few applicants from last year deferred because of the pandemic. But at the same time, it feels like there are a lot less folks applying to film school then years prior.
This may not be what you want to hear but... Historically, if you look at the data on when Columbia sends interview offers, they do it all at once.

Last edited:

mikaobo

No. I submitted an hour before the deadline.

It's a tough year to apply to certain directing programs like Columbia or AFI. I surmise that quite a few applicants from last year deferred because of the pandemic. But at the same time, it feels like there are a lot less folks applying to film school then years prior.
This may not be what you want to hear but... Historically, if you look at the data on when Columbia sends interview offers, they do it all at once.
Sure, obviously not gonna be blindly optimistic at this point
But there has been cases where interview requests til mid March, right?

nvf101

Canon C200, Panasonic AU-EVA1, Sony PXW-FS5, and then towards thesis year you get access to more. There is a cinematography class, but I'm not in it so I can't speak on it. There is a half semester class your first year in Audio, Lighting, or Camera and the othe half of the semester is editing with AVID.
Thanks so much for this information. It’s really interesting to hear some of these details.
☺️

nvf101

Thanks so much for this information. It’s really interesting to hear some of these details.
☺️

Add your film school application to our Admissions Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Brooklyn College (CUNY) Feirstein - MFA in Cinematography
    1.00 star(s)
    A Mess
    It took me a while to write this review but when I saw there were none from current students I felt it was important to do so. I came to Feirstein...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Undergraduate Film & Television
    5.00 star(s)
    I had a great time here but that was back in the late 90s
    I loved NYU. I was a pre-med student who transferred in 1999 and graduated 2001. I received two scholarships, multiple grants and loans. They had...
    • anniewaits
  • Boston University - College of Communication (M.F.A. Screenwriting)
    4.00 star(s)
    Screenwriting Program Review by a Second Year Student
    Current student in the screenwriting MFA program at BU. There’s a lot to love in this program, I think overall it is one of the more underrated...
    • Cody Young
  • Hofstra University - Department of Radio, Television, Film
    5.00 star(s)
    Quality Facilities, Caring Professors
    Great school that prepares you for the New York film and television scene. The facilities are state of the art and the teachers are top notch.
    • joekgilberto
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications