Columbia 2021 MFA Screenwriting/Directing Applicants

are there specific questions asked to prepare? this is my first round of apps.

i got an interview request feb 18 and set if for march 9

thanks!
Congrats on interview request! We have a new interview questions forum FYI:

Also be sure to add your application to our database when you can with the interview dates etc. The more applications we have the more accurate the site's data is and therefore the more helpful it is. :)

Does anyone know when we'll be notified of our final admissions decision?
Should be around May. Last year I received an interview request Feb 2nd, interviewed March 17th, the day after NYC shutdown, and received a Waitlist notification on April 6th. Since the pandemic was in full swing, a lot of deferrals happened. The openings got filled off the waitlist - except me 😢 and my final came around June... Congratulations to everyone who made it this far - it was a small pool this year. Maybe next year for me. Be safe!

Should be around May. Last year I received an interview request Feb 2nd, interviewed March 17th, the day after NYC shutdown, and received a Waitlist notification on April 6th. Since the pandemic was in full swing, a lot of deferrals happened. The openings got filled off the waitlist - except me 😢 and my final came around June... Congratulations to everyone who made it this far - it was a small pool this year. Maybe next year for me. Be safe!

You never know! Stay positive.

Do you think they interviewed less people to compromise for the deferrals?

You never know! Stay positive.

Do you think they interviewed less people to compromise for the deferrals?
Fingers are too cramped from crossing LOL

My understanding is that all programs will interview more in the event of deferrals, or if the student rejects the program for another so it does go both ways! But in fairness to everyone, you get a short period of time to decide what todo if accepted.

Right, but I meant it seems that 20 or so students deferred. Would that mean the interview pool would in turn be smaller?

I guess no way to really know.

Fingers are too cramped from crossing LOL

My understanding is that all programs will interview more in the event of deferrals, or if the student rejects the program for another so it does go both ways! But in fairness to everyone, you get a short period of time to decide what todo if accepted.
Yeah we're supposed to find out from AFI on March 15th and scholarships the same week, and I'm worried that I'll need to make a decision before Columbia even notifies us because May seems really late.

Right, but I meant it seems that 20 or so students deferred. Would that mean the interview pool would in turn be smaller?

I think that's fair to assume. It makes sense to apply a formula like 2 choices per opening: 1 offer and 1 waitlisted. But yea, no way to know...

Do you think there might be any point in contacting them? I wish they put us out of our misery if they know already that all the interviews went out. Are they also conducting a study of people's "breaking points" in tandem with Columbia's school of psychology? I heard that school is also really good... 😅

Do you think there might be any point in contacting them? I wish they put us out of our misery if they know already that all the interviews went out. Are they also conducting a study of people's "breaking points" in tandem with Columbia's school of psychology? I heard that school is also really good... 😅
Being a lab rat is part of the application!

Update us if you do contact them! Would be great to just rip the bandage off instead of anxiously refreshing our emails every 5 seconds minutes :(

Based on this site's admission tracker, only 12 users/applicants received an interview email. That's less than it was the years before (~32 users/applicants got interviewed last year), so maybe this theory on the pool reduction due to deferrals might be true?

Update us if you do contact them! Would be great to just rip the bandage off instead of anxiously refreshing our emails every 5 seconds minutes :(

Based on this site's admission tracker, only 12 users/applicants received an interview email. That's less than it was the years before (~32 users/applicants got interviewed last year), so maybe this theory on the pool reduction due to deferrals might be true?
I can’t speak to the number of interview requests in years’ past, but when I signed up for a slot the interviews only extended through this upcoming week. It also looked like there were anywhere from 20-30 slots available. Some days only had 6 slots and some only had 3 so I didn’t get a solid count. I’m not sure how that compares, but it didn’t seem like many to me, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were far less openings this year.

I can’t speak to the number of interview requests in years’ past, but when I signed up for a slot the interviews only extended through this upcoming week. It also looked like there were anywhere from 20-30 slots available. Some days only had 6 slots and some only had 3 so I didn’t get a solid count. I’m not sure how that compares, but it didn’t seem like many to me, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were far less openings this year.
Same- when I interviewed it only had options on 3 days. But I have a friend who is interviewing in mid-March.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back