Columbia Fall 2010

robot_m

I interviewed with Ira and Maureen.

I am 100% attending, barring some catastrophic financial collapse in the student loan program, or the offer of a free or nearly-free ride at NYU. Neither of which seem very likely.

nyny4282

ah.

so... i was just wondering if eric only called people who he interviewed. but i guess that's not the case.

i am just really dying to get closure and figure out if everyone who got in got a call. but i guess i just have to wait.

EMDelMar

It seems like only a few people got calls. It may be that Eric only called people who specifically asked when the decisions would be coming out, or who had an unusually awesome interview.

Another option is that admissions files were divided among faculty to notify by phone at their discretion (I find unlikely that Eric had to make all 70 or so calls), and some just haven't had time or figure we can just wait.

Whatever the case, i guess letters are going out today so we'll know soon.

robot_m

It could also be that they only call people to whom the University is offering financial assistance, as I think everyone who got a call was offered some. They might be notifying everyone else (people who were accepted but didn't get financial assistance) via mail only.

Ira told me on the phone that official notices were being sent today and would arrive sometime next week.

New2you

Thanks Titus1, that's a very well reasoned and eloquent post. It's reassuring to see that not everyone has lost their sense of reason in the emotional fervor that these mystery acceptance calls have stirred up.

Suzako

They are aiming for a class of about 65 total, 25 of that class being creative producing.

Last year, Eric called everyone who was admitted (even those he did not interview). This year, it seems Ira is calling the Creative Producing people, which makes sense because its a new program and I imagine had a slightly different process than previously.

AnnieHall

Guys, I had the weirdest interview in Columbia, about 2 weeks ago. After reading about the interview here, and had had two interviews in different film schools, I knew, more or less, what to expect to - a friendly conversation with the faculty staff who want to see who you are. So I was totally surprised -
at the beginning of the interview I was *attacked* by one of the interviewers regarding the material I sent. He didn't give me the opportunity to reply and accused me I didn't know how to take criticism(!). Obviously, the rest of the interview didn't go so well. I pretty much blacked out and all the answered I had prepared, totally erased out of my mind. Oh well. I don't really care, though, because I later that day I found out I had been accepted to AFI, so the hell with them :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lvn

Annie, please excuse my morbid curiosity but I'm having a hard time trying to visualize your interview :)

What did you do, called him/her " neat "? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous