• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Columbia Film MFA, Fall 2020 Application

Adrian C

Waitlisted too. I know placing my self-worth entirely over external validations probably isn't very healthy. But after a string of rejections, I feel like it at least gives me some hope to go on.

Had an interview but was denied. It did not go very well, we were on completely opposite wavelengths. Of all my interviews, they seemed the least bit prepared or even interested in my material.

ams2020

Do you know if Columbia admits more students than they can actually accommodate with the expectation that a percentage of admitted applicants will not enroll, or if they admit around the number of students they can accommodate and pull directly from the waitlist to fill the other spots? I know most schools account for that, but not sure about smaller programs such as this.

lm9494

are people on the waitlist going to send a letter of continued interest? I was told by the admissions committee that they are not accepting additional materials, however, I am not sure if this includes a letter.

Holly.A

are people on the waitlist going to send a letter of continued interest? I was told by the admissions committee that they are not accepting additional materials, however, I am not sure if this includes a letter.

Not necessary. I emailed my interviewers thanking them and asking them of anything I can do to better prepare myself for the program should I get off the waitlist. They eventually did call me off the waitlist, but there's no need to do anything "extra".

Holly.A

Do you know if Columbia admits more students than they can actually accommodate with the expectation that a percentage of admitted applicants will not enroll, or if they admit around the number of students they can accommodate and pull directly from the waitlist to fill the other spots? I know most schools account for that, but not sure about smaller programs such as this.

Columbia holds people on the waitlist until spots are filled. I received a phone call asking if I would still be interested "should" a position open up. A week later I received a phone call that I was in. The semester started in early September and I was pulled off the waitlist in July.

mehrkaur

Has anybody gotten off the waitlist for this Fall? I was just offered a spot off the waitlist for Creative Producing. I've already made a deposit for the Stark producing program but I'm eager to get in touch with some current CP students to learn more about their experiences.

Holly.A

Has anybody gotten off the waitlist for this Fall? I was just offered a spot off the waitlist for Creative Producing. I've already made a deposit for the Stark producing program but I'm eager to get in touch with some current CP students to learn more about their experiences.
I am a current CP candidate finishing my first year. DM me and we can connect offline.

The film department sent out an email this week saying accepted students had until June 12 to defer.
The semester will be starting online in September 8 and the directing class will be starting mid semester, in person, and will last until July. This is so they can do decreases density classes.

The film department sent out an email this week saying accepted students had until June 12 to defer.
The semester will be starting online in September 8 and the directing class will be starting mid semester, in person, and will last until July. This is so they can do decreases density classes.
do we know if anyone deferred?

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous