Columbia Film MFA, Fall 2020 Application

Adrian C

Waitlisted too. I know placing my self-worth entirely over external validations probably isn't very healthy. But after a string of rejections, I feel like it at least gives me some hope to go on.

Had an interview but was denied. It did not go very well, we were on completely opposite wavelengths. Of all my interviews, they seemed the least bit prepared or even interested in my material.

ams2020

Do you know if Columbia admits more students than they can actually accommodate with the expectation that a percentage of admitted applicants will not enroll, or if they admit around the number of students they can accommodate and pull directly from the waitlist to fill the other spots? I know most schools account for that, but not sure about smaller programs such as this.

lm9494

are people on the waitlist going to send a letter of continued interest? I was told by the admissions committee that they are not accepting additional materials, however, I am not sure if this includes a letter.

Holly.A

are people on the waitlist going to send a letter of continued interest? I was told by the admissions committee that they are not accepting additional materials, however, I am not sure if this includes a letter.

Not necessary. I emailed my interviewers thanking them and asking them of anything I can do to better prepare myself for the program should I get off the waitlist. They eventually did call me off the waitlist, but there's no need to do anything "extra".

Holly.A

Do you know if Columbia admits more students than they can actually accommodate with the expectation that a percentage of admitted applicants will not enroll, or if they admit around the number of students they can accommodate and pull directly from the waitlist to fill the other spots? I know most schools account for that, but not sure about smaller programs such as this.

Columbia holds people on the waitlist until spots are filled. I received a phone call asking if I would still be interested "should" a position open up. A week later I received a phone call that I was in. The semester started in early September and I was pulled off the waitlist in July.

mehrkaur

Has anybody gotten off the waitlist for this Fall? I was just offered a spot off the waitlist for Creative Producing. I've already made a deposit for the Stark producing program but I'm eager to get in touch with some current CP students to learn more about their experiences.

Holly.A

Has anybody gotten off the waitlist for this Fall? I was just offered a spot off the waitlist for Creative Producing. I've already made a deposit for the Stark producing program but I'm eager to get in touch with some current CP students to learn more about their experiences.
I am a current CP candidate finishing my first year. DM me and we can connect offline.

clairebo

Supporter
The film department sent out an email this week saying accepted students had until June 12 to defer.
The semester will be starting online in September 8 and the directing class will be starting mid semester, in person, and will last until July. This is so they can do decreases density classes.

luvsmoveeze

The film department sent out an email this week saying accepted students had until June 12 to defer.
The semester will be starting online in September 8 and the directing class will be starting mid semester, in person, and will last until July. This is so they can do decreases density classes.
do we know if anyone deferred?

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya

Latest Accepted Applications