Columbia Film MFA, Fall 2020 Application

dkimg21

Supporting Member
UCLA
Got a decision! I'm waitlisted, which is better than nothing. Hope ya'll are staying safe out there!

Adrian C

Supporting Member
Waitlisted too. I know placing my self-worth entirely over external validations probably isn't very healthy. But after a string of rejections, I feel like it at least gives me some hope to go on.

Georgie Boyy

Chapman
LMU
Had an interview but was denied. It did not go very well, we were on completely opposite wavelengths. Of all my interviews, they seemed the least bit prepared or even interested in my material.

ams2020

Do you know if Columbia admits more students than they can actually accommodate with the expectation that a percentage of admitted applicants will not enroll, or if they admit around the number of students they can accommodate and pull directly from the waitlist to fill the other spots? I know most schools account for that, but not sure about smaller programs such as this.

lm9494

are people on the waitlist going to send a letter of continued interest? I was told by the admissions committee that they are not accepting additional materials, however, I am not sure if this includes a letter.

Holly.A

are people on the waitlist going to send a letter of continued interest? I was told by the admissions committee that they are not accepting additional materials, however, I am not sure if this includes a letter.
Not necessary. I emailed my interviewers thanking them and asking them of anything I can do to better prepare myself for the program should I get off the waitlist. They eventually did call me off the waitlist, but there's no need to do anything "extra".

Holly.A

Do you know if Columbia admits more students than they can actually accommodate with the expectation that a percentage of admitted applicants will not enroll, or if they admit around the number of students they can accommodate and pull directly from the waitlist to fill the other spots? I know most schools account for that, but not sure about smaller programs such as this.
Columbia holds people on the waitlist until spots are filled. I received a phone call asking if I would still be interested "should" a position open up. A week later I received a phone call that I was in. The semester started in early September and I was pulled off the waitlist in July.

mehrkaur

UCLA
USC
Has anybody gotten off the waitlist for this Fall? I was just offered a spot off the waitlist for Creative Producing. I've already made a deposit for the Stark producing program but I'm eager to get in touch with some current CP students to learn more about their experiences.

Holly.A

Has anybody gotten off the waitlist for this Fall? I was just offered a spot off the waitlist for Creative Producing. I've already made a deposit for the Stark producing program but I'm eager to get in touch with some current CP students to learn more about their experiences.
I am a current CP candidate finishing my first year. DM me and we can connect offline.

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21