Columbia Film MFA, Fall 2020 Application

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
This may be an odd question but what's the normal attire to wear for the interview. I'm not sure how formal to dress. I'm sure it doesn't matter much, but I'm a little lost.
Look well put together. Maybe business casual. Main thing is look like you care.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Look well put together. Maybe business casual. Main thing is look like you care.
Could be less than business casual.... You could probably pull off stylish jeans. As long as you look like you didn't roll out of bed and throw on a wrinkled shirt that was sitting for a week in your laundry hamper.

Look like you care is probably the best general advice to give.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Could be less than business casual.... You could probably pull off stylish jeans. As long as you look like you didn't roll out of bed and throw on a wrinkled shirt that was sitting for a week in your laundry hamper.

Look like you care is probably the best general advice to give.
Unless you go in a tux or a gown you probably can't overdress. Also you want to be comfortable and be you. If you're someone who likes wearing suits go for it... But it's not required at all.

Be comfortable and look like you care. :)

dkimg21

So, I'm wondering if a Thank You email would be a bit much? Debating because I do want to thank them for their time

xrisdelrio

Supporting Member
Columbia
So, I'm wondering if a Thank You email would be a bit much? Debating because I do want to thank them for their time
In my opinion a thank you email never hurts. The current student I talked to spent a long time answering my questions, so I sent her a thank you email afterwards. Didn't consider sending one to the faculty, but I think it would have been a good idea.

In my opinion a thank you email never hurts. The current student I talked to spent a long time answering my questions, so I sent her a thank you email afterwards. Didn't consider sending one to the faculty, but I think it would have been a good idea.
Does anyone know how long after the interview anyone hears what the results are?

Holly.A

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if Columbia provides any funding for school films? AFI, for instance, provides $4,700 for each Cycle film (so that's 3 times in the first year) and $13,000 for each Thesis film.
You fund your films for year 1, but then you own the rights to your film, not the school, which I have heard isn’t true of every program. In your second year and thesis films, you apply for production grants/your own money.

clairebo

Supporting Member
Columbia
I just had my interview with Ira and Lance - little over 30 minutes. I also spoke with a 3rd year student beforehand. Ira and Lance asked me why the Columbia Creative Producing program is the next logical step for me, what I’ve learned from similar past experience, and what films I would have liked to work on.

newbie2020

Supporting Member
Columbia
Also interviewed yesterday with Ira and Lance! They asked me about my background, why this MFA now, and about films I’ve enjoyed and what kind of work I’d like to be involved in. They gave me quite a bit of time to ask questions which was really nice! Best of luck to everyone!

steve.lay.97

Hi there (not super related to OP but didnt know where to post!)

I was wondering if anyone could help me?

Why on earth is the USC course ($35k-ish a year) so much cheaper than NYU and Columbia ($60-$70k a year)???? I may have the USC course completely wrong, but if not, could anyone explain to me why there is such a disparity in cost? Is USC only half as good as the other 2 or do you only take half as many credits/units???? I'm really new to all this so I may just be getting it wrong, so please let me know!!!!!!!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews