Columbia Film MFA, Fall 2020 Application

Hi all, I got the interview email for Columbia yesterday (Tuesday the 11th) around 10:30am EST, so the requests are definitely spread out. They said in the email "You will be interviewed by two faculty members who have read your application, who are interviewing on the specified dates," and my dates are on the later end, so that might be part of why the notifications are rolling.

Hi all, Does anyone have or know where I could find a general list of courses broken down per semester?
This is a basic breakdown of the curriculum for the MFA program.

You can browse through the "Film" link here for more details about certain courses, but the course listings are grouped together with the undergrad courses. The course numbers that begin with AF are generally the ones meant for MFA film students, but grad departments rarely ever include course descriptions on that site so your mileage may vary.

Hey everyone! I just thought I’d send out my update. I had an interview earlier today at Columbia for Creative Producing. This was my third time applying, third time interviewing, and was waitlisted last year. I’ve never posted before, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this subject. Since it’s my third time, I doubt I apply again if I don’t get it. Does Columbia tend to interview a lot of people for their film programs? Or am I getting closer than I realize and am just being tough on myself? It’s kind of getting to the point that I feel like Red in the Shawshank Redemption, going before the parole board hopelessly lmao

Hey everyone! I just thought I’d send out my update. I had an interview earlier today at Columbia for Creative Producing. This was my third time applying, third time interviewing, and was waitlisted last year. I’ve never posted before, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this subject. Since it’s my third time, I doubt I apply again if I don’t get it. Does Columbia tend to interview a lot of people for their film programs? Or am I getting closer than I realize and am just being tough on myself? It’s kind of getting to the point that I feel like Red in the Shawshank Redemption, going before the parole board hopelessly lmao

Damn! What other schools have you applied to? They need to accept you already! I know they interview quite a lot of applicants being that it is one of the top film schools. I think you are very close, have you made it to the interview stage before?

Damn! What other schools have you applied to? They need to accept you already! I know they interview quite a lot of applicants being that it is one of the top film schools. I think you are very close, have you made it to the interview stage before?
Lol that’s what I’m saying too, man. I do have interviews with UCLA and AFI at the end of the month, but I think Columbia is my top choice though. I’ve been interviewed by Columbia before, but this will be my first time for UCLA and AFI. those are the only three schools I applied to this year.

Lol that’s what I’m saying too, man. I do have interviews with UCLA and AFI at the end of the month, but I think Columbia is my top choice though. I’ve been interviewed by Columbia before, but this will be my first time for UCLA and AFI. those are the only three schools I applied to this year.
Good luck! Be sure to add your applications to the tracker. :)

This is a basic breakdown of the curriculum for the MFA program.

You can browse through the "Film" link here for more details about certain courses, but the course listings are grouped together with the undergrad courses. The course numbers that begin with AF are generally the ones meant for MFA film students, but grad departments rarely ever include course descriptions on that site so your mileage may vary.
Thanks a lot!!!

Hey! I don't want to alarm you but it is my understanding that Columbia doesn't allow you to re-apply after the third time. Some policy they have.. Have you asked for feedback since the other applications? I think you are entitled to that after putting in the time, money and effort towards an application two times already. You should also maybe reach out to those who have applied and gotten in and see if you can take a look at their application materials. There are great stories on this site about people who have applied 2 or 3 times before they've gotten in and their lessons from that, here is a good example:

How I Got In To Film School: Application / Interview Process Information and AMA

Hey! I don't want to alarm you but it is my understanding that Columbia doesn't allow you to re-apply after the third time. Some policy they have.. Have you asked for feedback since the other applications? I think you are entitled to that after putting in the time, money and effort towards an application two times already. You should also maybe reach out to those who have applied and gotten in and see if you can take a look at their application materials. There are great stories on this site about people who have applied 2 or 3 times before they've gotten in and their lessons from that, here is a good example:

How I Got In To Film School: Application / Interview Process Information and AMA
I had no plans of reapplying after this time anyhow, so that’s not alarming lol. Probably should’ve done some more digging before my interview this year, not much I can do now but wait and see. I’ll check out that link though, thanks!

I had no plans of reapplying after this time anyhow, so that’s not alarming lol. Probably should’ve done some more digging before my interview this year, not much I can do now but wait and see. I’ll check out that link though, thanks!

Ha, okay, that's good! I definitely don't think they interview that many by the way, you're obviously very close to what they're generally looking for. Unfortunately there are a lot of different factors at play when they pick their intake, some of which are pretty damn mysterious..

Hey everyone! Just had my interview today with David Klass and Eric Mendelsohn. They were both super friendly and tried to make the interview process as relaxed as possible. They asked several questions about my application materials, which they were very familiar with. We also talked a lot about what kind of films/tv I like and what I see myself making in the long term. The other thing we talked a lot about was the program itself. I also got the opportunity to talk to a current student who spent quite a while answering all of my questions. Just wanted to share with all of you, because these posts have been very useful for me. Best of luck everyone!

Hey everyone! Just had my interview today with David Klass and Eric Mendelsohn. They were both super friendly and tried to make the interview process as relaxed as possible. They asked several questions about my application materials, which they were very familiar with. We also talked a lot about what kind of films/tv I like and what I see myself making in the long term. The other thing we talked a lot about was the program itself. I also got the opportunity to talk to a current student who spent quite a while answering all of my questions. Just wanted to share with all of you, because these posts have been very useful for me. Best of luck everyone!

Thank you for sharing! Hope you nailed it. I have an interview next Friday, I'll share how was it too.

Had my interview today with Eric and David. They were both really lovely and were very familiar with my written materials. They asked me a about my current role and what I am doing right now, my influences, the type of stories I want to write, what I've written so far and what I am looking to gain from the program. They also asked me to elaborate on the writing sample I submitted and had some questions about the short films I've written and directed. I asked some specific questions about the program and the NY film industry in general.

Really just a lovely chat and something I would urge people to try to enjoy for what it is. You've got two really accomplished and experienced members of the faculty asking you questions and wanting to know more about you and your writing, it's rare chance to get all of sorts of valuable insight!

Had my interview today with Eric and David. They were both really lovely and were very familiar with my written materials. They asked me a about my current role and what I am doing right now, my influences, the type of stories I want to write, what I've written so far and what I am looking to gain from the program. They also asked me to elaborate on the writing sample I submitted and had some questions about the short films I've written and directed. I asked some specific questions about the program and the NY film industry in general.

Really just a lovely chat and something I would urge people to try to enjoy for what it is. You've got two really accomplished and experienced members of the faculty asking you questions and wanting to know more about you and your writing, it's rare chance to get all of sorts of valuable insight!
My interview was pretty much the same, except it was with Ramin and Ian. They were great and really made me feel at ease. Good luck, everyone!

Hey guys! Just wanted to ask if we will be given information on who will be interviewing us prior to the interview? I asked a grad student but have't received a reply yet.

This may be an odd question but what's the normal attire to wear for the interview. I'm not sure how formal to dress. I'm sure it doesn't matter much, but I'm a little lost.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back