• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Columbia MFA Screenwriting/Directing 2021 -- autobiographical essay + other questions

acsiv

Supporter
Hi everybody,

I'm applying to Columbia's MFA in Screenwriting/Directing for Fall 2021, as well as a couple others. One of the required creative materials for CU is characterized as an "autobiographical essay," with the following prompt:

"Tell us something about yourself and your background, artistic experiences, creative influences, and professional objectives."

Assuming the prompt doesn't change for the 2021 admissions cycle (since I don't think it's been updated since 2020's cycle), I'm wondering whether this essay should be a straightforward, formal, cover letter type essay, or whether I can do something slightly more...experimental? For example, USC's MFA has a similar type of essay, which they call an Autobiographical Character Sketch:

"Write a creative essay or short story that evokes an understanding of how you became who you are. This should reflect your individuality. It's not a resume."

Basically, I have a strong concept for USC's prompt, and I'm wondering whether I could use it for Columbia's, or if they're looking for something more straightforward.

Also as a completely random aside: how do we think COVID will affect admissions cycles? I'm in the US, and I'd have to assume that there would be less international applicants, given how uncertain future travel restrictions will be, and also because our country is fairly fucked COVID-wise.

Do we think these programs will prioritize applicants who can pay in full, as opposed to those that require financial aid?

jeanluc

Do we think these programs will prioritize applicants who can pay in full, as opposed to those that require financial aid?
The main application and the financial aids application are separated, it will be reviewed by two different departments.

Also as a completely random aside: how do we think COVID will affect admissions cycles?
From what I know, it might be a little bit more difficult this year as a number of students have chosen to defer to Fall 2021 (myself included) and Columbia has a set number of people that they take every year.

quarantini33

For the essay, IMO, tell Columbia who you are as a person. Everyone in my cohort (I'm a second year CP) has a unique story and Columbia wants to hear yours.
Hey Holly, question for you. When you applied, did you present yourself as both a screenwriter and director? I really only have screenwriting experience, but because this program is so multifaceted i'm not sure if I should also be highlighting myself as a director. I somewhat have experience in the latter, but definitely not as much.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom