1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have you applied to a film school? Add your application to the Application Tracking Sheet so you can compare with your peers and track progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Columbia University MFA Fall 2019

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Operator, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Operator

Operator Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +118
    That time of year again. Who's applying to Columbia U? Third time applying. This time I will be going for the Screenwriting concentration instead of Creative Producing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mitchomito

Mitchomito New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there! I will apply for the Creative Producing program. Do you know when the online application will be available?

3. Patrick Clement

Patrick Clement Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I'll be lurking around if anyone has questions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Operator

Operator Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Last year they opened in October. So you still have time. I applied last year and the year before for Creative Producing. The material was nearly identical except the writing prompt. So I'm sure you can go to past postings here and see what you should start getting ready. Contact the people you want to write your recommendations so they can be prepared. Columbia requires three letters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WriterK90

WriterK90 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm applying! I plan to work on USC and Columbia first since they are my top pics and very similar in the application process. I'm also going for the screenwriting MFA. I hope they post the prompt well before October.

:) Goodluck!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yuk

Yuk New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Online application will be available on October 1st according to their email

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mitchomito

Mitchomito New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Awesome. Thank you, Yuk!

8. Cool_Gurl

Cool_Gurl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there! Does anyone know if it is important to have an academic letter of recommendation or if it is okay that all three letters are professional?

9. Patrick Clement

Patrick Clement Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +191
    That's a good question. I had one teacher, one professional and one personal. I think it looks good to have a different voice for each letter. But if you don't have an academic letter, I wouldn't worry too much about it, make sure there is a something else in your application that can maybe counter balance it. Good luck!

10. Vindhya

Vindhya New Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hey!
    I am an English major from India. Got rejected by UCLA, USC and NYU last year. Got waitlisted by Columbia last year after the interview. My deal is that I don’t have much experience and I’m 22. Was it the lack of my experience or just that written material wasn’t good enough? Should I reapply or wait for another year to gain some experience?

11. tisa

tisa New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I see that you are at Columbia, and I want to apply there because of what I have seen on the website. But that's where my understanding ends. I was just wondering, what made you apply to columbia? what is the main difference between columbia and NYU? I'm sorry, but I live all the way in South Africa, and I don't even know anybody that has been to film shool, period. Sine you are there currently, what has your experiece been like? As in, what have you learned and how have you grown?

I'm sorry I bombarded you with questions. Please, answer as few as you wish to. But please, please, answer :)

12. LMNOP

LMNOP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Going to finally apply for the first time. Columbia really is my only choice so just going to focus on this application and if I have time for any other schools then cool, but I'm happy with just this one. Anybody have any info on if they ever give out scholarships and how those might look?

13. Cool_Gurl

Cool_Gurl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Patrick! I've enjoyed reading your insight on past threads :)

14. Cool_Gurl

Cool_Gurl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am kind of in the same boat! I pretty much only want to go to Columbia and although I may apply to NYU if I feel confident about my creative materials. I've looked into scholarships but haven't found too much. Will let you know if I find something!

15. RussellH

RussellH New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey, I'm new to the forum. I applied to Columbia 2 years ago, got an interview and then rejected. I'm going to apply again this year since I've been able to cut my teeth more in the industry. Creative Producing. I was super nervous during my interview and as soon as I walked out knew that I was rejected, I feel a lot more confident in my abilities to speak now. Any idea what part of the application holds the most weight for CP focus?

• Like Like x 1
  16. louweaver

louweaver Member

Ratings:
    +19
    hi Patrick, sorry if you've answered this already before, but i was just curious about the financial aspect. the tuition is staggering, and honestly scares the shit out of me. can i ask how you make it work? thanks again for being so helpful and available.

17. Fernando González Ortiz

Fernando González Ortiz New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, so I just applied to the UCLA Producers Program. Also, I will be applying to Columbia, NYU MBA/MFA and Chapman MBA/MFA. I'm still undecided on which are my top picks but I'm trying to treat them all as my #1 pick

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cool_Gurl

Cool_Gurl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone using Columbia creative material for the NYU app? Is it okay to use one script or film treatment for both...so long as it fits both prompts?

19. Fernando González Ortiz

Fernando González Ortiz New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So I think I might be using the film treatment for a couple, I don't think this affects the application. Let's see if someone else has more information.

20. Mitchomito

Mitchomito New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Great question. How about the Dramatic story? It's not in the screenplay format?