Columbia University MFA Fall 2019

Operator

That time of year again. Who's applying to Columbia U? Third time applying. This time I will be going for the Screenwriting concentration instead of Creative Producing.

Patrick Clement

I'll be lurking around if anyone has questions.

Operator

Hi there! I will apply for the Creative Producing program. Do you know when the online application will be available?
Last year they opened in October. So you still have time. I applied last year and the year before for Creative Producing. The material was nearly identical except the writing prompt. So I'm sure you can go to past postings here and see what you should start getting ready. Contact the people you want to write your recommendations so they can be prepared. Columbia requires three letters.

WriterK90

Supporting Member
I'm applying! I plan to work on USC and Columbia first since they are my top pics and very similar in the application process. I'm also going for the screenwriting MFA. I hope they post the prompt well before October.

:) Goodluck!

Cool_Gurl

Hi there! Does anyone know if it is important to have an academic letter of recommendation or if it is okay that all three letters are professional?

Patrick Clement

Hi there! Does anyone know if it is important to have an academic letter of recommendation or if it is okay that all three letters are professional?
That's a good question. I had one teacher, one professional and one personal. I think it looks good to have a different voice for each letter. But if you don't have an academic letter, I wouldn't worry too much about it, make sure there is a something else in your application that can maybe counter balance it. Good luck!

Vindhya

Hey!
I am an English major from India. Got rejected by UCLA, USC and NYU last year. Got waitlisted by Columbia last year after the interview. My deal is that I don’t have much experience and I’m 22. Was it the lack of my experience or just that written material wasn’t good enough? Should I reapply or wait for another year to gain some experience?

tisa

Hi!

I see that you are at Columbia, and I want to apply there because of what I have seen on the website. But that's where my understanding ends. I was just wondering, what made you apply to columbia? what is the main difference between columbia and NYU? I'm sorry, but I live all the way in South Africa, and I don't even know anybody that has been to film shool, period. Sine you are there currently, what has your experiece been like? As in, what have you learned and how have you grown?

I'm sorry I bombarded you with questions. Please, answer as few as you wish to. But please, please, answer :)

LMNOP

Going to finally apply for the first time. Columbia really is my only choice so just going to focus on this application and if I have time for any other schools then cool, but I'm happy with just this one. Anybody have any info on if they ever give out scholarships and how those might look?

Reactions: ETA

Cool_Gurl

That's a good question. I had one teacher, one professional and one personal. I think it looks good to have a different voice for each letter. But if you don't have an academic letter, I wouldn't worry too much about it, make sure there is a something else in your application that can maybe counter balance it. Good luck!
Thanks Patrick! I've enjoyed reading your insight on past threads :)

Cool_Gurl

Going to finally apply for the first time. Columbia really is my only choice so just going to focus on this application and if I have time for any other schools then cool, but I'm happy with just this one. Anybody have any info on if they ever give out scholarships and how those might look?
I am kind of in the same boat! I pretty much only want to go to Columbia and although I may apply to NYU if I feel confident about my creative materials. I've looked into scholarships but haven't found too much. Will let you know if I find something!

Reactions: ETA

RussellH

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I applied to Columbia 2 years ago, got an interview and then rejected. I'm going to apply again this year since I've been able to cut my teeth more in the industry. Creative Producing. I was super nervous during my interview and as soon as I walked out knew that I was rejected, I feel a lot more confident in my abilities to speak now. Any idea what part of the application holds the most weight for CP focus?

louweaver

hi Patrick, sorry if you've answered this already before, but i was just curious about the financial aspect. the tuition is staggering, and honestly scares the shit out of me. can i ask how you make it work? thanks again for being so helpful and available.

Fernando González Ortiz

Supporting Member
Hi guys, so I just applied to the UCLA Producers Program. Also, I will be applying to Columbia, NYU MBA/MFA and Chapman MBA/MFA. I'm still undecided on which are my top picks but I'm trying to treat them all as my #1 pick

Cool_Gurl

Is anyone using Columbia creative material for the NYU app? Is it okay to use one script or film treatment for both...so long as it fits both prompts?

Fernando González Ortiz

Supporting Member
Is anyone using Columbia creative material for the NYU app? Is it okay to use one script or film treatment for both...so long as it fits both prompts?
So I think I might be using the film treatment for a couple, I don't think this affects the application. Let's see if someone else has more information.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews