Hi all,

I'm applying this year as well to Columbia. I applied two years ago and got an interview but alas was not accepted. I did not apply last year to Columbia but am thinking of giving it a shot again this year. Like one other poster mentioned on this site, when I previously applied two years ago, I knew right after the interview that I bungled it. I have a lot of interview anxiety in general, which isn't a good trait to have and something I need to work on. Hoping for better luck this time.

A couple of questions, one of which is general and one of which is more specific.

1). As a repeat applicant who actually made it to the interview stage two years ago, do you think it would be a good or bad idea to reuse those portions of the application that I previously used (and "worked!" insofar as they did the trick of getting an interview)? I know the prompt part changes but aside from that, the writing sample and the film treatment and the autobiographical essay (as well as the visual submission) would at least in theory be able to be the ones previously used. Not trying to overthink it, but as the old adage goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", right? or do people disagree? I'd be curious specifically to hear the outcomes of repeat applicants who received interviews their first time applying and who either did or didn't reuse prior parts of their initial application when they reapplied. I.e., did they tend to get invited for interviews on their second applications as well? I was told by the student liaison who helped guide me after I received my interview invite that each year's decision making is essentially a two-stage process. First, they make initial cuts as to whom to invite to interview and then, at the interview stage, everyone starts off in the same position (i.e., everyone equally ranked), i.e., kind of like a beauty pageant, where they throw out the results of the prior stage and treat everyone at the final round as initially equal, such that those who perform better on the interview are the ones who get the offers over those who don't interview as well. If this is the case, it would seem like the name of the game at least initially is to just get to the interview stage. If your initial materials are strong, as evidenced by them working when you first applied, why change them up? I was also told that even though the committee may know you've previously applied, they essentially view each year's application afresh, so, for better or for worse, they wouldn't really know what you previously submitted anyway (unless they dug it up for some reason, which would be unusual). At least that's what I was told, though I wonder if anyone could confirm.

2). My second question is more general. My first time applying (when I got the interview), I listed Screenwriting alone as my intended concentration. This time around, I was thinking of putting Screenwriting/Directing. I may have a generally stronger interest in Screenwriting still, but I've developed an additional interest in Directing that I didn't have the first time around. Overall, is there any benefit, or downside, to listing my intended concentration as Screenwriting/Directing as opposed to just Screenwriting, even if I ultimately may end up being Screenwriting focused at a later date? Also, what's changed this year is that I have a visual submission to provide, which I didn't when I previously applied as a Screenwriting applicant. Do you think an applicant with a strong visual submission would be better off listing their concentration as Screenwriting alone or Screenwriting/Directing? Any thoughts or suggestions regarding the above would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Also, theres not way to know if you got in from the interview. I know some people who did horrible and got it. Just be yourself and if they want you they want you. I applied twice before and got an interview both times. You just never know.

Do we know when they send out notifications/invites for interviews?
Thanks!!

Welcome to the site! Please see this article for data colated from previous applications in the tracker:

Film School MFA Acceptance Rates, Minimum GPAs, Decision Dates, and more...

Columbia - Creative Producing
  • FilmSchool.org Acceptance Rate: 68.09% (32 out of 47 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 3.13
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: January 16
  • Earliest Interview Date: February 1
  • Earliest Decision Date: March 9
Columbia - Directing/Screenwriting
  • FilmSchool.org Acceptance Rate: 29.5% (41 out of 139 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 2.8
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: February 5
  • Earliest Interview Date: February 20
  • Earliest Decision Date: March 21

You can also check out the tracker for previous applications to Columbia using the advanced search:

Search results for query: columbia

Anyone hear anything for CP focus? Interview notifications should be coming out any day now.
Nothing for me yet. The application deadline was about a week later than the previous year, it could be the case that results will be out a bit later as well.

Hello everyone,

Just to ask if anyone received any invite for interview yet? January is almost over and going by previous yes people should have scheduled interviews already.

I guestimated the date Columbia will notify for interviews being Feb 11th. I based it off of the previous years for the screenwriting/directing tract. It could be a week sooner or later but it looks like Monday is a popular day of the week. I'm not sure about ofther MFA's though. Hang in there, we'll all likely hear something in the next two weeks! :)

Typically they notify creative production candidates first, then screenwriting/directors candidates a week or so after.
I applied for creative production, I'm tempted to email the school and see if they sent out invites but I don't want to be a hastle. Hang tight everyone!

Typically they notify creative production candidates first, then screenwriting/directors candidates a week or so after.
I applied for creative production, I'm tempted to email the school and see if they sent out invites but I don't want to be a hastle. Hang tight everyone!
I didn't know about this order. I applied to creative. So we should be hearing from them soon :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back