No Ivy day is for undergrads which tends to happen at the end of March. Graduate schools don't always follow the same conventions as the undergraduate programs. Grad schools will send out batches of interviews. I'd hate to get your hopes up in case it doesn't work out, but there is still a chance you'll get an interview. So stay positive! I'd wait till the end of the week before you start feeling gloom.

All the best, no matter what
Yes. I didn't mean they sent it out on ivy day, I was just comparing. The day and time was pretty predictable because it's been the same for a couple years now. But there's always a chance, I agree. I hope everyone still waiting gets an interview! :)

I got up in the middle of the night to check my email on the toilet and still no invite. I guess Columbia has shut the door for me. But CONGRATS TO ALL THE APPLICATIONS WHO GO AN INTERVIEW. Good Luck!

Hey everyone! Congrats if you got an interview. And if you didn't (and I know this is going to sound trite) who gives a shit? Keep working. There are lots of great filmmakers in film school and lots of great filmmakers NOT in grad school.

They said they accept a total of 72people (24 for each discipline) in their online info session. I have no clue about how many they interview, but based on past spreadsheets and threads they seem to interview quite a huge portion of applicants in comparison to other schools.

Technically they accept about 50 as Dir/Screenwriting and students move into either screenwriting or directing after the first year. Unless they've changed it. I know they've been moving towards completly separating disciplines for the past couple of years.

So this might be a really silly question but my anxiety about my interview tomorrow is making me a nervous wreck and would love your opinion...

I have my nose (nostril) pierced and usually wear a small hoop in it. should I put a stud in tomorrow for the interview? or will MFA professors not care?? is anyone in the same boat with facial jewelry???

[I feel like this should be the least of my concerns but I just can't turn my brain off but any words of advice will be immensely helpful!!!!]

OMG, this doesn't matter AT ALL. I have tattoos on my hands and neck. I'm a chunky, almost 40 years old former convict with a weird haircut. Don't let that stuff throw you off your game!
How is everyone feeling after their interviews? Mine is on 2/19 and I'm a nervous wreck! I'm researching and practicing my responses, but still nervous something will take me by surprise. Any advice on the questions I should prepare answers for?

Be cool.
Be honest.
Be relaxed.

Everything after that is out of your hands!
Had my interview yesterday. Lance and Jack are amazing. They asked me about my background, films and plans. Just be yourself, this is the most important thing. You're gonna be fine. Good luck to all of us! :)

Great advice!
Hey @Patrick Clement can you discuss how classes work? For example, how many classes do you take in your first and second semester? Also, I heard something about "blocks"....like having your classes during the "2-9 block" and films that are optional to watch on Sundays, but that will be discussed in your morning lecture. Can you expand upon this more?

I already read your discussion thread from last year about how much time you put into your week between classes and projects, but I was wondering the actual breakdown if you could relatively speak on it.

Thank you.
Yeah I sort of broke it down in a previous thread.
Basically classes are 3 hours long and run through the day from like 10am until I think the latest class is 9pm?
The department sets your schedule for the first year, I think. So you don't pick. I think you CAN take more classes. One or two more if you want.

I'd have to look back, but I'm pretty sure I took extra classes so my last semester was lighter. Basically if you take four classes each semester you will be on to graduate. It's not super complicated. Each discipline Dir/Scr/Prod has their own requirements in your 2nd/3rd years.

I don't know what that "blocks" thing is. Sorry?

Dan Kleinman has a screening series on Sundays where he screens short films. It's not a class it's just a series. You should go if you can!

In the second year Eric Mendelsohn also has a thing called "film club" on some Saturdays. Worth checking out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone! Congrats if you got an interview. And if you didn't (and I know this is going to sound trite) who gives a shit? Keep working. There are lots of great filmmakers in film school and lots of great filmmakers NOT in grad school.

Technically they accept about 50 as Dir/Screenwriting and students move into either screenwriting or directing after the first year. Unless they've changed it. I know they've been moving towards completly separating disciplines for the past couple of years.

OMG, this doesn't matter AT ALL. I have tattoos on my hands and neck. I'm a chunky, almost 40 years old former convict with a weird haircut. Don't let that stuff throw you off your game!

Be cool.
Be honest.
Be relaxed.

Everything after that is out of your hands!

Great advice!

Yeah I sort of broke it down in a previous thread.
Basically classes are 3 hours long and run through the day from like 1am until I think the latest class is 9pm?
The department sets your schedule for the first year, I think. So you don't pick. I think you CAN take more classes. One or two more if you want.

I'd have to look back, but I'm pretty sure I took extra classes so my last semester was lighter. Basically if you take four classes each semester you will be on to graduate. It's not super complicated. Each discipline Dir/Scr/Prod has their own requirements in your 2nd/3rd years.

I don't know what that "blocks" thing is. Sorry?

Dan Kleinman has a screening series on Sundays where he screens short films. It's not a class it's just a series. You should go if you can!

In the second year Eric Mendelsohn also has a thing called "film club" on some Saturdays. Worth checking out.

THANK YOU!!!! ?????? you’re the best!

do you know by chance how many they admit for creative producing? is it less than screenwriting/directing???

Congrats to all who got the emails and best of luck.

So does it mean that those of us that haven’t received any interview emails aren’t successful? ?

Does anyone knows if there any chance that another waves of invite will go out?

Will it be proper to contact team?

It’s strange to figure out whether to follow this website or the university . When I called them to ask about the notification, they asked me to wait until March and here most of them have already got the mail. ‘Such websites are not reliable’ is what they said. Now, I’m in a fix.

It’s strange to figure out whether to follow this website or the university . When I called them to ask about the notification, they asked me to wait until March and here most of them have already got the mail. ‘Such websites are not reliable’ is what they said. Now, I’m in a fix.
March is when the final admission results come out which is probably why they told you so. The email notifications coming in now are for interviews :)

I was accepted for an interview but it's not until the middle of March (over a month away). Why is it so late? Don't they send acceptance letters around that time? I applied for screenwriting/directing.

I was accepted for an interview but it's not until the middle of March (over a month away). Why is it so late? Don't they send acceptance letters around that time? I applied for screenwriting/directing.
Did you get the email on Monday? Based on last year, a lot of people interviewed in mid March and decisions came out around the 24th.

Did you get the email on Monday? Based on last year, a lot of people interviewed in mid March and decisions came out around the 24th.
Hi! Yes, I received the email and sccheduled my interview on monday. I scheduled it as soon as I received the email but there were only a few slots available. Maybe my interviewers are only available those days?

Hi! Yes, I received the email and sccheduled my interview on monday. I scheduled it as soon as I received the email but there were only a few slots available. Maybe my interviewers are only available those days?
by "those days" I meant the three days in March I was able to choose from

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back