I just called and whoever I spoke to said they’ll still be making calls all day today and tomorrow, as well as try to get out as many waitlist notifications as possible. She also said they’ll let people know in rejections if they should reapply or not.
Oh shit, is that true? Seems rough to be like "please don't reapply."
Guys, just got a call this morning! 11 am (NY time).
Good luck everyone!!
Conquackulations!
I’m in! 1 pm NY time, Eric called. Hopefully I’ll meet some of you guys in person on Saturday! He verbally confirmed there’s more calls coming today/tomorrow. Fingers crossed for everyone else here!
Confabulashunz!
I got in!!! I am so happy. He did mention the reception on Saturday and acknowledges it is very short notice. If like to go, but not sure I can logistically.

I'm excited to meet you all!
Komgrapluations!
Eric is the sweetest!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Let's revisit this comment after your first year.

Hi guys-- just found out I've been put on the waitlist! Not the best case scenario, but not the worst. Does anyone know if they will accept supplemental material at this stage?

Got denied! I wonder if it was the interview that got me, or if my portfolio wasn't as strong from the start. The interview, conducted by an 80-year-old man with no sense of humor and another gentleman that never blinked, could have been better. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming year!

Hi guys-- just found out I've been put on the waitlist! Not the best case scenario, but not the worst. Does anyone know if they will accept supplemental material at this stage?
My advice is to just hang tight. They pull from the waitlist throughout the summer.
Got denied! I wonder if it was the interview that got me, or if my portfolio wasn't as strong from the start. The interview, conducted by an 80-year-old man with no sense of humor and another gentleman that never blinked, could have been better. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming year!
Honestly, don't think too deep about it. Getting accepted and/or not accepted isn't actually a reflection of you as a person or applicant. There are LOTS of reasons for a rejection that may or may not have anything to do with you. There's always next year!

Congrats to everyone who received your call. I got a call from Eric and I was out in the country so he left me a voicemail. I remember him telling me my voicemail sounded like I was a character in a Christopher Guest film. I still don't know what that means. :)

After you've bragged on the internets and called you Nana, your elementary school teacher (to rub it in their face) and your childhood best friend who think they're better than you cause they have a bean-shaped swimming pool and an office chair with lumbar support (lets see if anyone gets that), you'll need to sit down and make a list of to-do's.

Here are a couple of things you should put on that list:

1. Make sure you've filed your taxes for 2019. You'll need them for:
  2. Your FAFSA. Fill it out ASAP and select Columbia University in the City of New York.
  3. Once you recieve your acceptance packet in the mail you will get your CUID #. You should immediately register for the CU housing lottery through the CU Housing Portal. If you think you are going to need near-campus housing. Do it even if you arent sure. Get in que.
  4. If you are a US independent student, without a bankruptcy, you will be able to take out US GOV Grad Plus Loans to cover your tuition, housing, food, travel, supplies and to fund some of your CU film projects. Basically, you will be able to be a fulltime filmmaker for the duration of your time at CU, if you want.
I am going to check in more often for the next month or so to help anyone with questions.
Again, congratulations and welcome to the CU community.
I have a question regarding getting loans for living expenses: do we make an estimate and submit it to the school, or....? I didn't do that for undergrad, so not sure. Still waiting for my packet, but trying to do some preliminary planning.

Waitlisted. Not what I hoped for, but not the end of the world. Now I just have to wait over the next few months and hope a spot opens up at AFI, my first choice, or Columbia, my second. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and to those who are in the same boat as myself. Waitlisters UNITE!!!

Guys, how r international students get a loan for study? are there ways? As from what I heard its nearly impossible
Normally you should try getting a loan in your own country. I haven't looked into it but I'm sure I won't be able to get a loan in the US as an international student.

Hi everyone- this place has been keeping me sane during the application process; I’ve also been waitlisted for Columbia, so maybe I will see some of you if I’m taken off of it- if not, I’ll meet those of you going to USC!

Normally you should try getting a loan in your own country. I haven't looked into it but I'm sure I won't be able to get a loan in the US as an international student.

yeah, I ve already checked it in my countrey. not an option. 20+ % and very small chance to get a loan

Waitlisted. Not what I hoped for, but not the end of the world. Now I just have to wait over the next few months and hope a spot opens up at AFI, my first choice, or Columbia, my second. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and to those who are in the same boat as myself. Waitlisters UNITE!!!
It's really a bummer not knowing yet, but I'm sure you will have at least one of these amazing schools to choose from! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Has anybody been notified of being on the "high waitlist"? I read in earlier years that they sent out notifications that just said "waitlist" as well as "high waitlist".. Mine just says waitlist, but wondering if anybody received the 'high' distinction/ if Columbia still does that..

Has anybody been notified of being on the "high waitlist"? I read in earlier years that they sent out notifications that just said "waitlist" as well as "high waitlist".. Mine just says waitlist, but wondering if anybody received the 'high' distinction/ if Columbia still does that..
From what I read, they stopped doing that. Having been through this last year, nobody I knew who was on the waitlist had a high or low in their waitlist notifications. Even though there's most probably secret ranking, they claim that the waitlist is made of a small group of people and that it is not ranked.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back