• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.
Hey all,

I hope everybody who celebrates Thanksgiving had a wonderful holiday. The application deadline is a few short days away so I wanted to create a thread for those of us interested in the Columbia MFA film program. It would be great to have folks to talk to during the next couple of anxious months. The Columbia MFA threads for last year and the year before that were really helpful and active. I hope this one will be as well.

Please share any thoughts, tips or opinions. Here's to Columbia's Fall 2017 incoming class!

Last edited:
just sent in my app. on my way to the post right now to drop off my DVD's... also, i accidentally sent two materials in times new roman, not courier...

Hey Jazz! Congratulations on getting everything in and on time

icygee

#JusticeForKatya #JusticeForBeyoncé
just sent in my app. on my way to the post right now to drop off my DVD's... also, i accidentally sent two materials in times new roman, not courier...

I did this when I applied two years ago and I got an interview, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

How is everybody feeling now that the applications are in?

Patrick Clement

Supporter
Hi everyone, I'm a current CU Film Directing MFA. I went through the same stress that all of you are going through. Let me know if you have questions and/or if I can help!

Christopher Gooley

Hi everyone, I'm a current CU Film Directing MFA. I went through the same stress that all of you are going through. Let me know if you have questions and/or if I can help!

What are they really looking for in a creative producing candidate? Also, when did they first contact you?

Patrick Clement

Supporter
What are they really looking for in a creative producing candidate? Also, when did they first contact you?
Well, i can't really speak about the Producing Program, but knowing my classmates there is a wide variety of experiences and backgrounds. Some have never made a film before and some have lots of production experience. I do know that Columbia Prides itself on diverse classes, so out of the 70ish acceptances (45 Scr/Dir and about 25 Producers) More than half are women and at least half are international.

You can look back on the google sheets to find out when the notification dates are. I think it is sometime in March? I think maybe I interviewed in January?

Boethius

I'm a first-year screenwriting/directing candidate at CU. I found this site very helpful for me when I was applying last year. Feel free to ask me any questions as well.

PrimaNYC

Hey all, I applied to Columbia's creative producing program. Also applied to Stark, UT Austin, and NYU. However, Columbia is my first choice. Now that everything is in, I'm going to try my best to forget about it entirely. I'll let the nerves settle in again in late January. Haha.
My portfolio links were 4 music videos for independent artists and 1 narrative short. Feel pretty good about my application over all.
Best of luck everyone!

Patrick Clement

Supporter
Hey all, I applied to Columbia's creative producing program. Also applied to Stark, UT Austin, and NYU. However, Columbia is my first choice. Now that everything is in, I'm going to try my best to forget about it entirely. I'll let the nerves settle in again in late January. Haha.
My portfolio links were 4 music videos for independent artists and 1 narrative short. Feel pretty good about my application over all.
Best of luck everyone!
I remember hearing from Austin Feb 1st!

glebski

Hi All,

Great to meet you! Very much looking forward to passing this awful 2016 year, and I hope that 2017 will be a successful year for all of us! Yes, Columbia MFA is my first choice. Directing emphasis is what I hope to get myself into.

glebski

Hey Patrick, congratulations on your acceptance! This is truly fantastic! Would love to know when did you hear first from them about your interview? How was it? And then when did you hear from them about the final decision if you still remember these things :))?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Hey Patrick, congratulations on your acceptance! This is truly fantastic! Would love to know when did you hear first from them about your interview? How was it? And then when did you hear from them about the final decision if you still remember these things :))?

The tracking Google sheet document is your friend for all this info. :) Be sure to add your info for this year too. :)

Tracking application status (Google Sheets)

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous