Columbia University - Screenwriting/Directing Fall 2022 entry

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
This is a thread for those of you applying to Columbia University Screenwriting/Directing for entry in Fall 2022. Reply below if you are planning to apply to meet your fellow applicants.

Here is our current admissions statistics for the program:

When you apply please add your application so we can improve our data.

Deadline is December 15, 2021 @ 11:59 PM​

Last edited:
I am planning to apply for 2022 !
The time has come after putting it off for so long, I'm applying this year. Finally. Good luck everyone!
Did you guys see this article?

It's an article on Columbia's high tuition. Curious to hear how you feel about it as applicants.

Did you guys see this article?

It's an article on Columbia's high tuition. Curious to hear how you feel about it as applicants.
Yeahhhh I did, unfortunately. The prices are absurd, yes. But IMO, film school at that high of a level is what you make of it. You will have the chance(s) to meet with people that want to get your movies made, and if you can't get any kind of traction with the kind of exposure Columbia attracts, it might just be your work isn't good enough. You know? Like sure there are people that get unlucky, but again, the opportunities will be there at a film school like Columbia. Good work will stand out no matter what in my experiences.

Or... I could be flat-out wrong, and be wasting 300,000+ in loans for no reason.

are there any statistics on how many people are applying on average each year?
Schools are usually pretty tight lipped on this (USC or AFI wouldn't tell us) but Columbia actually has it on their FAQ page:

How many students apply and how many are admitted?​

In 2016, we received approximately 600 applications for the Film MFA Program, and an average incoming class is 48 students in the Screenwriting/Directing program and 24 students in the Creative Producing program.

I saw you got accepted to a couple of programs last year? What were your reasons for not attending? Columbia's program is a better fit?

Good luck this year!
I am obsessed with Columbia. The way they emphasise on teaching the “Core of Filmmaking rather than just the surface”. I mean, they have a great faculty. Then it is New York City which is definitely a + point. Undoubtedly, one of the best programs for directors and screenwriters; I love how they bring out the best of you as a screenwriter. On a personal level, I dream to be a director, and I feel Columbia’s direction/screenwriting program is one of the few programs that let you emphasise on directing, but at the same time teaches you screenwriting like you are going to be a screenwriter. In my opinion, directing and screenwriting go hand in hand. If you want to be a good director, you need to have a stronghold on screenwriting. I can go on and on about Columbia. Also, yes, I did get into a couple of programs, and I tried but couldn’t move on from Columbia.

🤞🏻 PS I am still hoping to be pulled off the waitlist. I still jump to check my mail if I get a notification, hoping that it is from Columbia.

Last edited:
New Columbia AMA had been posted from recent graduate @Boethius :

I was curious if anyone has statistics on application rates due to Covid? based on last years numbers and moving forward if there was a decrease or influx of applicants? and how the pandemic is affecting the applicant pool.....

Reapplying for 2022 after interviewing last year and being rejected!
Elaine, I was wondering if you could give any tips about the interview process / insight having gone through it last year. What were they most focussed on discussing and did you feel it was a high stress meeting or more of a fluid conversation?

Elaine, I was wondering if you could give any tips about the interview process / insight having gone through it last year. What were they most focussed on discussing and did you feel it was a high stress meeting or more of a fluid conversation?
Sure - I'll be honest that my situation was a unique one in that my experience with film at the time was very limited (had directed approx. 3 short marketing videos for my theatre company to advertise and the only written materials in my portfolio were for Columbia's application). Instead, I'd been directing theatre for the past 6 years in NYC and abroad, so the questions mostly pertained to how I expected to be able to apply the theatre skills I had to film.

Beyond that, we spent some time discussing my personal statement and stories that could potentially come out of the experience I had written about. They were both very friendly and seemed to genuinely want me to feel comfortable so I wouldn't say it was a high stress conversation because of anything they did, however considering my specific circumstance I did feel that I had a lot to prove.

Hope that answers your question!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back