Columbia University - Screenwriting/Directing Fall 2022 entry

Sure - I'll be honest that my situation was a unique one in that my experience with film at the time was very limited (had directed approx. 3 short marketing videos for my theatre company to advertise and the only written materials in my portfolio were for Columbia's application). Instead, I'd been directing theatre for the past 6 years in NYC and abroad, so the questions mostly pertained to how I expected to be able to apply the theatre skills I had to film.

Beyond that, we spent some time discussing my personal statement and stories that could potentially come out of the experience I had written about. They were both very friendly and seemed to genuinely want me to feel comfortable so I wouldn't say it was a high stress conversation because of anything they did, however considering my specific circumstance I did feel that I had a lot to prove.

Hope that answers your question!
thank you!

Anyone have any idea when the application opens based on past years?
(In particular the updated film prompt & visual exercise)

New prompts are up guys! =D

"You may change the gender of any character in these prompts, but do not change ages or relationships.
  • INT. KITCHEN – LATE NIGHT
    • TWO TEENS sit silently at opposite ends of a kitchen table. Occasionally, each one of them glances up at a wall clock. Just as the hands of the clock reach midnight, both of them stand and look toward the FRONT DOOR.
  • EXT. BACKYARD – AFTERNOON
    • A WOMAN hastily exits the house leaving the noise and chaos of the party behind her. Finally alone, she relaxes her posture, exhales, then laughs to herself. After a moment, she realizes she isn’t the only one out there.
  • EXT. SMALL TOWN – NIGHT
    • The COUPLE walks through the empty streets of the town at midnight, eventually, arriving at the small bridge. One of the two reaches into a pocket, pulls out a wrapped OBJECT and is about to drop it into the water below."

Anyone have any thoughts post-informational admission session today? I was hoping they'd share a bit more about financial resources / scholarships given the recent, negative press on student loan debt from columbia mfa grads.

I attended. It was basically a general overview of the MFA program by the faculty directors. Then there were breakout rooms for each of the concentrations and an opportunity for Q&A.

I'm pretty sure they recorded the session and will probably upload it to their official Columbia SOTA YT channel for anyone who missed it. They did also mention they'd be having a separate informational session for both the Creative Producing and Screen / Directing Concentration in early Dec for any last minute questions.

How far is everyone with the application process? BTW is it okay for international students to submit their IELTS score post-deadline?
I'm kinda half-way there.
I only need to write the scene part of it. Rest it's done!

But I have NYU, AFI, and Chapman to handle this week, so I'm finishing those first (reviewing).
I'm an international student, but no idea about the scores. Since I've done my test in 2020, that was the first thing I uploaded to the application. If I find any information about it, I'll let you know :)

How far are you??

I'm kinda half-way there.
I only need to write the scene part of it. Rest it's done!

But I have NYU, AFI, and Chapman to handle this week, so I'm finishing those first (reviewing).
I'm an international student, but no idea about the scores. Since I've done my test in 2020, that was the first thing I uploaded to the application. If I find any information about it, I'll let you know :)

How far are you??
Woah. To be very honest, I’m just starting my application this week. 😰

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back