COVID-19 & Film School?

sarahkwUT

Supporting Member
AFI
Chapman
USC
I'm wrapping up week one of working from home and I'm not a fan despite being super efficient at home. I work for a business school at the moment and the dean today told us to expect being remote through April with hope that we get back in around May.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
The stories I hear about people having to die alone without their loved ones around them or able to comfort them or say goodbye chill me to the bone. :(

These are truly miserable times. Stay indoors people. Stay safe.

amh

This has drastically changed my life as I know it. 😔

I'm a senior in college right now and my school hasn't officially cancelled our graduation but all signs point to we wont be coming back this semester. I was also accepted to my dream school, and no one in my family has accomplished anything close to this. I was already looking forward to merely graduating but then I was promised a very bright future and now I just don't know what it's going to look like. My life feels like it's just been totally halted, and I've never been stopped like that before. I've been working nonstop towards my future since I was a child. Like I started college when I was 16 and I'll graduate when I'm 20. I've been hauling ass my whole life. 🤣

So this is so bizarre that now I'm just on pause.
I'm in the same exact boat as you. Except I wasn't accepted into my dream school lol. I got waitlisted

sguilford

I'm in the same exact boat as you. Except I wasn't accepted into my dream school lol. I got waitlisted
Oh wow! What I meant by accepted was I was actually waitlisted for USC (my dream school) but with an offer of admission for the spring. 🤣 So yeah we're in really similar situations!

asoller

Feeling a lot of anxiety around this too and the long-term implications behind it. I was accepted into an MFA program but wasn't awarded a substantial scholarship unfortunately. This would like mean I would need to take out a good amount in loans, which I'm wary of doing. I'm fearful of what the job market will look like after I graduate from an MFA program. I don't want to be left with immense debt but no job prospects. Curious how the film industry will be affected by this.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Curious how the film industry will be affected by this.
My show has been shut down for a while. Not sure when we're starting up again in the field. We're all able to edit the shows that were already in progress from home though. So I have work at least until May or June. Who knows after that.

magg6789

I did my undergrad in Economics. Found a passion for film and did a minor. Applied to a couple MFA programs. Haven't heard back from either. But my department accepted me into the MS in Economics program with a graduate assistantship and stipend...aka a full ride.
With all of this going down it's safe to say the job market won't look good at all. It already doesn't. This situation just de-railed me into going into an MFA program completely in order to have job security. As a first-gen American/college student, it's just safer for me to continue Economics to help my family.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
I did my undergrad in Economics. Found a passion for film and did a minor. Applied to a couple MFA programs. Haven't heard back from either. But my department accepted me into the MS in Economics program with a graduate assistantship and stipend...aka a full ride.
With all of this going down it's safe to say the job market won't look good at all. It already doesn't. This situation just de-railed me into going into an MFA program completely in order to have job security. As a first-gen American/college student, it's just safer for me to continue Economics to help my family.
Hey if it's a full ride that's awesome. You can always do film on the side.

truffleshuffle

Supporting Member
NYU
USC
And if things don't turn out the way you want them to, film and the MFA will always be there. You look at a lot of people getting accepted to top programs and they are not fresh out of college undergrad. They had other careers, other degrees, and decided it was time to go for it and that could very well be you if you still want it in a few years. Congrats on that MS program though.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
It's been over a week since I ventured out to a store for groceries. Or out of the house in general except to walk around the block and stay way away from people. Thankfully I'm able to work from home on my episode and I'm still working.

It's eerie walking around the street in my neighborhood. Almost no traffic and almost no people. It's straight out of 28 Days Later.

If my grocery delivery cancels this Saturday I might venture out again to the store for food. But we're pretty much fine. Only would need milk and eggs and flour.

Had to order a HUGE box of 60 toilet paper rolls because there was nothing in stores.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

sarahkwUT

Supporting Member
AFI
Chapman
USC
Doing okay in North Carolina. We have "stay at home" orders starting today, but we've been pretty good about it overall. My gym loaned equipment, so I've got a barbell, 80kgs worth of plates, and a kettlebell in my living room that I'm planning to haul out to the tennis court when its nice out/not in use so I can keep some form of training up.

A coworker has a pretty high anxiety level around all of this and I told her she wanted to "binge watch" Coronavirus, then realized that's very accurate - we all want to know when this is going to end and what its going to look like. But its not Netflix streaming where we know the end of the story as soon as we finish the series. It's like the "old days" when you had to tune in each week to know what happens next.

I'm certainly fretting over what moving from NC to LA looks like in a few months. I'd planned to fly out, visit neighborhoods, get a good feel... Now I'm not only trying to decide on a school but relying on the internet to help find a place to live.

Not the worst place to be in, but I'm certainly ready for this to take a bow - even if I realistically know its going to be a minute.

If I even make sense!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Just checking in to see how everyone's doing? We're still hunkered down here. My kids are now officially not going back to school this year but I knew that.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews