COVID-19 & Film School?

Memz

hey! Our of curiosity, did Columbia ever send that email? What did they say?

They did although not with heaps of information. They said that if classes would have to be online we have a right to either get a refund or defer until next year. Nothing about how those online classes would be structured though, considering we are meant to take directing and production classes the first semester. But I guess if they do end up being online they will need to follow up with this kind of information later on.

I have no idea what I am going to do, I change my mind like every other day..

hey! do you guys think that COVID will affect the admission process for 2021 applicants? do you think universities might change requirements such as portfolios and what not?

I feel like if anything, it might change class size? But I can't see how it would change the actual application process... who knows, though.

They did although not with heaps of information. They said that if classes would have to be online we have a right to either get a refund or defer until next year. Nothing about how those online classes would be structured though, considering we are meant to take directing and production classes the first semester. But I guess if they do end up being online they will need to follow up with this kind of information later on.

I have no idea what I am going to do, I change my mind like every other day..

That's tough, although that's great that they're offering options? And communicating!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
@Kira just wrote a great article on this:

Film School during COVID-19

Film School during COVID-19

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during this uncertain time. This article today is going to be a little different from the norm! Chris had the wonderful idea of writing up a little something about how different film schools are handling the COVID-19. I jumped on board immediately...

bean

Hi, I've been planning to apply later this year for the Fall 2021 semester but I'm definitely concerned there will be a significantly fewer spots due to deferrals. Financial aid offerings and scholarships will also likely be tight. Also I'm not sure if film school applications this year will be up (because people have time to write) or down (because of the economy). Pretty anxious about how this will go.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Cal State cancels all Fall classes due to COVID

Cal State cancels all Fall classes due to COVID

According to the LA Times all in person classes are canceled for the fall for all Cal State programs, including film. https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-12/coronavirus-reopening-csu-fall-online-classes For more info on the Cal State Film Schools check them out in our=Cal+State']...

melonballer

Supporter
I feel like if anything, it might change class size? But I can't see how it would change the actual application process... who knows, though.
Hi, I've been planning to apply later this year for the Fall 2021 semester but I'm definitely concerned there will be a significantly fewer spots due to deferrals. Financial aid offerings and scholarships will also likely be tight. Also I'm not sure if film school applications this year will be up (because people have time to write) or down (because of the economy). Pretty anxious about how this will go.
Hi, I agree. I do think applications will be up higher than ever before (anecdotally, my friend who just started at an MBA program with rolling admissions from January - May 2020 this year said that their school mentioned having the highest # of enrollment since 2008, i.e. the last recession, eek.)

I've been working on my Fall 2021 MFA Producer Program applications and while this may not be singularly affected by Covid, I saw that UCLA's TFT MFA Producers Program is now not accepting any Fall 2021 applications either. The timing just seems to be more than a coincidence even though they are "reviewing curriculum" per the website. Overall, I'm concerned about the health of colleges in general.

Some interesting reading: USS University | No Mercy / No Malice

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews