News Discussions COVID-19 & Film School?

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
Man... didn't see this coming. How is this going to affect the current school year? Admissions? Next year? Who the heck knows.

Stay safe everyone out there.

In the meantime... can anyone spare a square?

giphy (15).gif

Has any schools officially announced any changes in regards to this? How are you guys going to do telework film production classes? Or is it going to switch to theory?

I presume not much will change for screenwriters.

USC is now remote until the end of the semester. We just heard today and it's spring break, so we're still waiting to hear from our professors how the rest of the semester will go. Fingers crossed everything returns to normal by the time fall term begins!

USC is now remote until the end of the semester. We just heard today and it's spring break, so we're still waiting to hear from our professors how the rest of the semester will go. Fingers crossed everything returns to normal by the time fall term begins!
How's that going to work? I heard in another thread that they're kicking people out of graduate apartment housing in NYU? That must suck.

My brother is at UC Irvine (sophomore) and was kicked out of undergrad apartment housing. There was a fun bit of time where they tried to charge them for breaking their lease but that quickly went away for obvious reasons. I'm cautiously optimistic that we're being proactive enough with this self-quarantine and social distancing to start to resume some semblance of normalcy in a few weeks or so, but I'm nothing if not annoyingly optimistic.

My undergrad - Tennessee - went virtual for the rest of the semester and canceled commencement. Heartbroken for the seniors.

My brother is at UC Irvine (sophomore) and was kicked out of undergrad apartment housing. There was a fun bit of time where they tried to charge them for breaking their lease but that quickly went away for obvious reasons. I'm cautiously optimistic that we're being proactive enough with this self-quarantine and social distancing to start to resume some semblance of normalcy in a few weeks or so, but I'm nothing if not annoyingly optimistic.

My undergrad - Tennessee - went virtual for the rest of the semester and canceled commencement. Heartbroken for the seniors.
I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be more than a few weeks. It's going to be months. And America will be forever changed.

Maybe I'll be wrong. But I think we at least need to prepare for it.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be more than a few weeks. It's going to be months. And America will be forever changed.

Maybe I'll be wrong. But I think we at least need to prepare for it.

As a NYS/NYC resident, I’ve heard 6 months as being a realistic timeframe (at least here). If so, that would definitely impact the fall semester.

Part of me is holding out hope things might be a little better in LA, and that somehow things will have improved by July, so I can start apartment hunting in August. But maybe that’s overly optimistic.

Since I didn’t get a scholarship from the Uni I was accepted to for this fall semester, I am depending on private scholarships from organizations and companies. I’m applying for these now because most deadlines are by end of March or in April. It almost seems cynical to apply now. The economy will definitely be affected, maybe very badly, maybe there’s an inflation in summer. Scholarships will be the first thing to be canceled then because these companies have to take care of their workers first of course and to not go broke. I am very concerned about my future, going to this school has been my biggest dream for years but I might not be able to afford tuition during this time. Biggest priority is of course to stay healthy, stay as financially stable as possible for our basic needs, college is a luxury and comes second. Especially since film business is unpredictable for the next years. People might not be spending money on movies when they’re trying to feed their families and mourning for loved ones they lost. Could of course be the opposite, no one can say at this point. But it’s stupid to presume that everything will go back to normal after this or count on old laws.

Unrelated to COVID, but go Vols(!). Yes, this is very sad news though. Sorry to hear.

Hello! Chiming in from Canada here! We have taken pretty drastic measures up north in most of our provinces. The big ones (Quebec & Ontario) have shut down schools, daycares, universities, courts, restaurants, movie theatres, places of religious worship, public parks etc. Malls and public transit are operating on limited hours and most stores have shut down of their own accord. All gatherings of more than 50 people have been banned as well. Only essential services and office businesses are operating now. Self-isolation is being practised by most (75% - 90%) here & public transport continues to run with 1/10th of the amount of people using it. I don’t know if things are getting better for sure but there are certainly less people on the street, roads, and using public transit. Our leaders are optimistic that things will get better and that we’ll make it through this together. It seems like our anticipated goal is mid-April (it could very well go longer though). Personally, seeing the way people have come together and really made an effort, I truly believe that come fall we should be in some state resembling normal! My hope now is that our friends in America follow suit, these strict measures really help! Stay safe everyone and if you can, please stay home!

Today is our 11th day of lockdown, we were supposed to go back to “normality” on April 3rd but the government has already warned us that it will be extended until no one knows when. I don’t want to scare anyone but if only the world saw how things truly are over here, they’d act in a much quicker way.
Please let us know what it's like @Ep317 !

It's crazy here in LA. Stores are sold out and someone from work tested positive this week. I've been home for almost 2 weeks though. Still feeling a little sick myself but I don't think it's covid but who knows for sure because they won't test.

The doctor said I don't have a high fever, my cough is productive (not dry) and my lungs are clear on x-ray so that's good.

I think I don't have to leave the house for a while though again because I got a bunch at the store yesterday after delivery was cancelled and ordered another delivery for next week. Hopefully that one wont be cancelled. Also ordered this from Amazon:

Screenshot_20200319-081044.png

Since I didn’t get a scholarship from the Uni I was accepted to for this fall semester, I am depending on private scholarships from organizations and companies. I’m applying for these now because most deadlines are by end of March or in April. It almost seems cynical to apply now. The economy will definitely be affected, maybe very badly, maybe there’s an inflation in summer. Scholarships will be the first thing to be canceled then because these companies have to take care of their workers first of course and to not go broke. I am very concerned about my future, going to this school has been my biggest dream for years but I might not be able to afford tuition during this time. Biggest priority is of course to stay healthy, stay as financially stable as possible for our basic needs, college is a luxury and comes second. Especially since film business is unpredictable for the next years. People might not be spending money on movies when they’re trying to feed their families and mourning for loved ones they lost. Could of course be the opposite, no one can say at this point. But it’s stupid to presume that everything will go back to normal after this or count on old laws.

Same here. All great points. Given the timeline of estimated quarantine/stay at home, I'm expecting that fall semester will be impacted at all universities. I'm not sure if it would be the best time to go to school then as a new student. And especially for production classes, I can't imagine how they are teaching them online... and how anyone would justify paying thousands for that.

How's everyone's life changed because of this damn thing? I'm working from home on my Avid.

This has drastically changed my life as I know it. 😔

I'm a senior in college right now and my school hasn't officially cancelled our graduation but all signs point to we wont be coming back this semester. I was also accepted to my dream school, and no one in my family has accomplished anything close to this. I was already looking forward to merely graduating but then I was promised a very bright future and now I just don't know what it's going to look like. My life feels like it's just been totally halted, and I've never been stopped like that before. I've been working nonstop towards my future since I was a child. Like I started college when I was 16 and I'll graduate when I'm 20. I've been hauling ass my whole life. 🤣

So this is so bizarre that now I'm just on pause.

Yup, we just got the email that graduation was cancelled. We all knew it was coming of course. Although it’s sort of devastating to end this shared journey in isolation, my primary thoughts are revolving around the vulnerable both physically and financially. The market is decimated, and people are losing their income, retirement accounts getting wiped clean, small businesses being shuttered. And those poor sick and elderly people who have to watch arrogant narcissist youth shrug their shoulders as they go out to party, then later take up all the respiratory machines when they get sick while the old rot in the hallways. If I have to take the first semester online or defer a year then so be it. I’m just glad to be alive.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back