News Discussions COVID-19 & Film School?

I'm wrapping up week one of working from home and I'm not a fan despite being super efficient at home. I work for a business school at the moment and the dean today told us to expect being remote through April with hope that we get back in around May.

The stories I hear about people having to die alone without their loved ones around them or able to comfort them or say goodbye chill me to the bone. :(

These are truly miserable times. Stay indoors people. Stay safe.

This has drastically changed my life as I know it. 😔

I'm a senior in college right now and my school hasn't officially cancelled our graduation but all signs point to we wont be coming back this semester. I was also accepted to my dream school, and no one in my family has accomplished anything close to this. I was already looking forward to merely graduating but then I was promised a very bright future and now I just don't know what it's going to look like. My life feels like it's just been totally halted, and I've never been stopped like that before. I've been working nonstop towards my future since I was a child. Like I started college when I was 16 and I'll graduate when I'm 20. I've been hauling ass my whole life. 🤣

So this is so bizarre that now I'm just on pause.
I'm in the same exact boat as you. Except I wasn't accepted into my dream school lol. I got waitlisted

I'm in the same exact boat as you. Except I wasn't accepted into my dream school lol. I got waitlisted
Oh wow! What I meant by accepted was I was actually waitlisted for USC (my dream school) but with an offer of admission for the spring. 🤣 So yeah we're in really similar situations!

Feeling a lot of anxiety around this too and the long-term implications behind it. I was accepted into an MFA program but wasn't awarded a substantial scholarship unfortunately. This would like mean I would need to take out a good amount in loans, which I'm wary of doing. I'm fearful of what the job market will look like after I graduate from an MFA program. I don't want to be left with immense debt but no job prospects. Curious how the film industry will be affected by this.

Curious how the film industry will be affected by this.
My show has been shut down for a while. Not sure when we're starting up again in the field. We're all able to edit the shows that were already in progress from home though. So I have work at least until May or June. Who knows after that.

I did my undergrad in Economics. Found a passion for film and did a minor. Applied to a couple MFA programs. Haven't heard back from either. But my department accepted me into the MS in Economics program with a graduate assistantship and stipend...aka a full ride.
With all of this going down it's safe to say the job market won't look good at all. It already doesn't. This situation just de-railed me into going into an MFA program completely in order to have job security. As a first-gen American/college student, it's just safer for me to continue Economics to help my family.

I did my undergrad in Economics. Found a passion for film and did a minor. Applied to a couple MFA programs. Haven't heard back from either. But my department accepted me into the MS in Economics program with a graduate assistantship and stipend...aka a full ride.
With all of this going down it's safe to say the job market won't look good at all. It already doesn't. This situation just de-railed me into going into an MFA program completely in order to have job security. As a first-gen American/college student, it's just safer for me to continue Economics to help my family.
Hey if it's a full ride that's awesome. You can always do film on the side.

And if things don't turn out the way you want them to, film and the MFA will always be there. You look at a lot of people getting accepted to top programs and they are not fresh out of college undergrad. They had other careers, other degrees, and decided it was time to go for it and that could very well be you if you still want it in a few years. Congrats on that MS program though.

It's been over a week since I ventured out to a store for groceries. Or out of the house in general except to walk around the block and stay way away from people. Thankfully I'm able to work from home on my episode and I'm still working.

It's eerie walking around the street in my neighborhood. Almost no traffic and almost no people. It's straight out of 28 Days Later.

If my grocery delivery cancels this Saturday I might venture out again to the store for food. But we're pretty much fine. Only would need milk and eggs and flour.

Had to order a HUGE box of 60 toilet paper rolls because there was nothing in stores.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Doing okay in North Carolina. We have "stay at home" orders starting today, but we've been pretty good about it overall. My gym loaned equipment, so I've got a barbell, 80kgs worth of plates, and a kettlebell in my living room that I'm planning to haul out to the tennis court when its nice out/not in use so I can keep some form of training up.

A coworker has a pretty high anxiety level around all of this and I told her she wanted to "binge watch" Coronavirus, then realized that's very accurate - we all want to know when this is going to end and what its going to look like. But its not Netflix streaming where we know the end of the story as soon as we finish the series. It's like the "old days" when you had to tune in each week to know what happens next.

I'm certainly fretting over what moving from NC to LA looks like in a few months. I'd planned to fly out, visit neighborhoods, get a good feel... Now I'm not only trying to decide on a school but relying on the internet to help find a place to live.

Not the worst place to be in, but I'm certainly ready for this to take a bow - even if I realistically know its going to be a minute.

If I even make sense!

Just checking in to see how everyone's doing? We're still hunkered down here. My kids are now officially not going back to school this year but I knew that.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Personally, this is seriously affecting my decision-making for school - not sure I want to risk a big move from LA to NYC in the midst of all this, especially since we're running on limited information that is constantly in flux. Not to mention, the idea giving up employment to go back to school when everything is turning upside down is freaking me out... Am I the only one?!

Personally, this is seriously affecting my decision-making for school - not sure I want to risk a big move from LA to NYC in the midst of all this, especially since we're running on limited information that is constantly in flux. Not to mention, the idea giving up employment to go back to school when everything is turning upside down is freaking me out... Am I the only one?!

To be honest at this point I think it would be bizarre not to take it into consideration.

True! I just haven't seen as many folks as I expected posting about it

Yeah I’ve noticed that too. I’ve also noticed that some schools are asking for deposits as normal while providing little update to students. That is strange, and not right in my opinion.

Thankfully my school has been hugely communicative and given students extra time to decide. I’m just weighing everything up at the moment. I currently work as a journalist and have been pretty much knee-deep in Covid-19 news so am probably more aware than most of how significant this situation stands to be.

I think at this point, everyone is kind of awaiting developments because no one really knows what this fall will look like. It could go several different ways. I am concerned and worried but I don't think there is any conclusion that can be made right now. So I think it's really important for schools to be flexible and either extend deposit deadlines or allow for deferrals if need be further down the line. To not do that would be quite arrogant with regards to the position they are putting potential students in. Which school are you planning on attending?

Decided to jump in as the topic affects me in a great manner.
I got admitted into the USC MFA program.
The country I reside in - Poland - has closed its borders, cities, everything is shut down. This means all of the institutions supporting educational endeavors have postponed their actions until further notice.
This means no funding or scholarships.
Now, the deposit for USC itself equals double my rent (ye its cheap here) so without the info on the possible deferral or classes going online/tuition reduction, it's a shot in the dark.
It's getting almost cynical how these institutions approach the situation, closing in to the deposit deadline, when the communication on the administrative-level is close to zero (I've sent 3 emails on this topic with no answer)
At some point they just have to make a stance on the matter as so many people depend on it right now.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back