COVID + MA Screenwriting Programs

vance_refrigeration

Supporter
I'm curious if anyone has been able to negotiate remote options for '21 intake MA screenwriting programs?

For full context: I've been accepted into a few programs abroad I'm extremely interested in, though given it's likely the Fall semester will be remote anyway (or at least a hybrid model), I'm curious if students can stay in their home countries and opt to travel when conditions are safer? Anyone have any insight here? I'm not sure how to broach the conversation, and don't want to uproot my life if I'll be at home throughout the Fall semester anyway.

katiebonnie

Supporter
I have asked for a deferral about three times from all the departments possible and they all said no... I was accepted to afi for screenwriting and they have maintained the fact that they think they will be fully back in person by the fall semester. It's a really difficult one because getting a visa appointment is nearly impossible and the thought of moving to a very expensive city when I might potentially end up doing everything online is not making me want to take out a mortgage to pay for it 😅

vance_refrigeration

Supporter
I'm quite shocked by that response from AFI - especially for incoming students whose home country vax rollouts may be suboptimal. The pandemic is still raging on, and to suggest otherwise feels like classic Western centrism.

Institutions need to be flexible moving forward. Remote learning (even for a few months, or a semester) is 100% possible.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
IIRC they into their reasonings for no deferrals in our interview with them:

How to Get Into AFI: Exclusive Advice From the Admissions Office (Part 1)

Ask anyone about where to go to film school, and you’re bound to hear the American Film Institute Conservatory. First established in 1967, AFI is world renowned for producing pioneers and trailblazers in the film industry. In 2020, the Hollywood Reporter ranked AFI as the top film school in...

katiebonnie

Supporter
IIRC they into their reasonings for no deferrals in our interview with them:

Ask anyone about where to go to film school, and you’re bound to hear the American Film Institute Conservatory. First established in 1967, AFI is world renowned for producing pioneers and trailblazers in the film industry. In 2020, the Hollywood Reporter ranked AFI as the top film school in...
Yeah and I do get that but they allowed deferrals last year and we're still in a similar situation so it feels a little unfair 🤷‍♀️

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications