Creative Portfolio Advice - Which Positions look best?

Sofacan

I'm in the summer before applying for an MFA in film & tv production, and I'm looking to help around Boston for some small productions (fyi I've never been on an actual set before which is what this summer is for). I'm responding to an advertisement online for a BU MFA student's production. For a creative/artistic portfolio, which position would an admissions officer for an MFA from a top film school deem most impressive from a student short film of the following? Thanks! If one could rank them in order and explain why that would be awesome!

-Camera Operator
-1st AC
-2nd AC
-Gaffer
-Grip
-Dolly Grip
-Sound mixer
-Boom Operator
-None of these, make your own stuff!

estherk

i think that doing whatever you are interested in is the best choice. if you have a specific discipline you are interested in, definitely do something related to that. but if you want to be a director, i am not sure it really matters, since it's important you know all aspects of production.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • AlcB
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Art + Science (B.A. & B.F.A.)
    3.00 star(s)
    Good undergrad craft school
    I'd like to preface this by saying I graduated a while ago. It's possible that the school has changed significantly since then so take what I say...
    • Anonymous
  • American University - School of Communication (B.A.)
    1.00 star(s)
    Very Unhappy with the Film Program
    I apologize for the very long post, but I have a lot of things to say about the Film and Media Arts department at AU. I am EXTREMELY unhappy...
    • Anonymous
  • LMU - Film & Television Production (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent choice for a well-rounded film education experience
    LMU's Film and Television Production MFA program is a great choice for students who want a well-rounded film education. You are able to make both...
    • A248
  • USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    2.00 star(s)
    Great Marketing, Subpar Reality
    I'm writing this review because there wasn't a lot of clear info when I was applying so I hope that this can offer some clarification beyond the...
    • Anonymous