Current NYU Tisch Graduate Film Student - AMA!

Buusey

Hi folks, good luck to everyone applying this year. Just wrapped up my first semester. AMA.

All in all, amazing experience. I know these next ~2 months can be a waiting game and quite excruciating but take this time to just relax, maybe get a little writing done here and there, wrap up any loose ends, etc.

Hi folks, good luck to everyone applying this year. Just wrapped up my first semester. AMA.
Welcome back!

How's it been? Has it met your expectations? Anything surprise you? What's your day to day?

Thanks for doing this I'm sure alot of people will appreciate it. :)

Hey thanks for doing this!

What kind of self-funding did you have to do for your first couple of projects?

Is there anything you wish someone had told you about before you began Fall semester? Perhaps about scheduling, professors, collaborators, budget in NYC, etc.?

Hey thanks for doing this!

What kind of self-funding did you have to do for your first couple of projects?

Is there anything you wish someone had told you about before you began Fall semester? Perhaps about scheduling, professors, collaborators, budget in NYC, etc.?

The first year’s projects are entirely self funded. And the amount these films costs is generally more than the administration leads on. But of course, if you do good producing work, you’ll always find ways to save money. The school gives you a little something starting Year 2, from what I’ve heard. Be sure to start budgeting now though.

For your second question, the budget one is a big thing that caught a lot of my classmates off guard. Also, you’ll be spending a LOT of time at Tisch. 8 hours on the low end to 12+ hours a day depending on your class schedule, which picks up even more as you get into production period and beyond. All the professors have their own niches and you can’t really go wrong with any of them. We’re told to just explore the faculty and see who you mesh with. In terms of collaborating, I can’t stress the importance of just being a good, friendly person and to put in the work for your classmates. If you do, they’ll put in the work for you every time.

Welcome back!

How's it been? Has it met your expectations? Anything surprise you? What's your day to day?

Thanks for doing this I'm sure alot of people will appreciate it. :)

Probably not helpful but if anyone wants to know more specifics, feel free to ask. But to summarize...

Amazing. Exceeded all expectations. Surprised by financial stuff (answered above but I’m lucky to have a job that takes no time outside classes— generally I do NOT recommend holding an outside job), and day to day is class, class, writing, editing, catching up/hanging out with friends/classmates.

Hello again, @Buusey ! I hope your OCS project is going well. A few questions, good sir!

1) How soon after an admissions decision were people notified about financial aid awards?

2) Do most folks live near campus or farther away to save costs? Did you feel the folks in Brooklyn or Queens were at a disadvantage socially or logistically?

3) I know First Year is incredibly busy, but is there ANY feasible way to continue an artistic commitment I have just one evening a week?

Thanks again for doing this despite what I'm sure is a crazy schedule.

Last edited:
Thanks and no problem!

1) We heard about aid almost immediately. There’s an award letter that comes with your admissions letter BUT the award was constantly readjusted since there’s scholarships the faculty automatically apply you for that you may receive which adjusts your award from Tisch itself. At least this was my case.

2) I’d say it’s a mix. Very few people live on the Upper East/West side in my class. Some folks around campus/downtown Manhattan. I’m in Brooklyn Heights. Many folks in the Bushwick/Bed Stuy area. Some in Jersey, some in Williamsburg. The folks that lived in deep Brooklyn hosted get together at times and many folks will stay after for social stuff since we’re all there for so long anyway. It’s really dependent person to person how much of a commute you're ok with/late you’re willing to stay.

3) Ummm as long as it doesn’t conflict with your class schedule, possibly. Better if you can do everything remotely. I’m working as a copywriter but it really doesn’t take much time and I work all from my laptop. I’d feel it out if possible.

Hello again, @Buusey ! I hope your OCS project is going well. A few questions, good sir!

1) How soon after an admissions decision were people notified about financial aid awards?

2) Do most folks live near campus or farther away to save costs? Did you feel the folks in Brooklyn or Queens were at a disadvantage socially or logistically?

3) I know First Year is incredibly busy, but is there ANY feasible way to continue an artistic commitment I have just one evening a week?

Thanks again for doing this despite what I'm sure is a crazy schedule.

Hi Bussey! Congratulation on your first year! A quick question:

Is it possible to delay going to the program (for one year) after being accepted by NYU?

Thanks so much!

Olivia

Hi Bussey! Congratulation on your first year! A quick question:

Is it possible to delay going to the program (for one year) after being accepted by NYU?

Thanks so much!

Olivia

While it’s not unheard of, I think they really don’t like that and you would need a really special circumstance to delay your enrollment.

Hi Buusey! Is there collaboration between different cohorts (I’m applying for the screenwriting mfa), and also what is the average age/ level of experience or film industry involvement that most people have prior to coming to NYU? Thanks again!

Hey! There’s no built in collaboration between the programs except a little with the Production Designers. We were actually told that the Grad Acting division specifically wants to keep their program distinct from Grad Film. HOWEVER, if you can find the time, you can definitely work on personal projects outside the program. also the average age/experience levels vary so much. My class for example leans pretty young but also pretty experienced. Other classes lean older but could include many folks who have barely touched a camera, for example.

FYI a lot of questions I’m seeing would be great questions for the faculty for your interviews. Invites should be coming in the next few weeks! Good luck all.

Hi Buusey! Is there collaboration between different cohorts (I’m applying for the screenwriting mfa), and also what is the average age/ level of experience or film industry involvement that most people have prior to coming to NYU? Thanks again!

Hey! There’s no built in collaboration between the programs except a little with the Production Designers. We were actually told that the Grad Acting division specifically wants to keep their program distinct from Grad Film. HOWEVER, if you can find the time, you can definitely work on personal projects outside the program. also the average age/experience levels vary so much. My class for example leans pretty young but also pretty experienced. Other classes lean older but could include many folks who have barely touched a camera, for example.

FYI a lot of questions I’m seeing would be great questions for the faculty for your interviews. Invites should be coming in the next few weeks! Good luck all.

thank you so much! :)

Hey Buusey, thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

Once students have tackled shooting their first few films in the program, do they typically collaborate with a cinematographer on their second year film (or even their spring narrative film in the first year)? I ask because I'm looking forward to working with someone behind the camera that I can trust, since I feel a little spread thin on my projects when I need to shoot and direct at the same time. I'm totally excited to shoot my MOS and OCS shorts myself, but it would be awesome to develop a relationship with a great student DP. What has your experience at NYU been like in this area?

Once students have tackled shooting their first few films in the program, do they typically collaborate with a cinematographer on their second year film (or even their spring narrative film in the first year)? I ask because I'm looking forward to working with someone behind the camera that I can trust, since I feel a little spread thin on my projects when I need to shoot and direct at the same time. I'm totally excited to shoot my MOS and OCS shorts myself, but it would be awesome to develop a relationship with a great student DP. What has your experience at NYU been like in this area?

I feel similarly about producing. Have you been able to build strong working with relationships with producers in the program?

Hey, no problem! So the only project you shoot yourself is the OCS (and possibly your thesis if you choose to make one?). You’re required to shoot someone ELSE’S MOS and it’s the only project you’re required to DP on. I actually was terrified going in of this since we shoot the MOS on film, but ended up having a ton of fun being a DP. Personally, my class has a ton of DPs or those interested in DPing so it’s been great working with folks on directing exercises and in class exercises so I can learn from them. I’m personally not interested in DPing as a career but working with others, developing a similar language, and such has only made me a better filmmaker. Hope that answers your question.

I feel similarly about producing. Have you been able to build strong working with relationships with producers in the program?

Hey, so the Dual Degree students are required to produce two MOS films and unfortunately I wasn’t assigned one. But someone in my group was and it seemed to be incredibly beneficial. Those students are stretched pretty thin the first year which is a shame. However, there are TONS of student producers in undergrad that are very talented and I know a few people who have worked with them. There are also several non-dual degree students in my class who have producing experience, including myself, so luckily producing my first two projectA solo wasn’t too bad since they’re relatively smaller scale. Currently in the process of finding an outside producer for my spring narrative. You can pick someone in your class or outside so it opens up. Hoping to develop those relationships soon but not too stressed since there’s so many resources between the school and NYC in general.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back