DePaul University Screenwriting - Should I attend?

Cd23

Chapman
I wanted to start this post for accepted students to talk about DePaul, because I haven't found much about it on this site. I got admitted to the Comedy concentration, but am waiting to hear from some other schools before I make a decision. I wanted to know how many others are in the same boat and maybe we can help each other decide!

Zach0323

I wanted to start this post for accepted students to talk about DePaul, because I haven't found much about it on this site. I got admitted to the Comedy concentration, but am waiting to hear from some other schools before I make a decision. I wanted to know how many others are in the same boat and maybe we can help each other decide!
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm accepted into the standard concentration. Do you have any idea on when the decision deadline is?

I'm going to Chicago in 3 weeks to see the campus in order to get a better feel of DePaul vs. The LA universities. Definitely feels like they could still be a great program, though.

Cd23

Chapman
I haven't gotten anything talking about the deadline. I'm hoping it's around the beginning of May. Another school I was accepted to has a deadline of May 1st, so I'm hoping it's similar! Feel free to post your thoughts on your visit!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Updated title to better reflect content of thread.

Should we great a forum for all of the "decision where should I go" threads?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Updated title to better reflect content of thread.

Should we great a forum for all of the "decision where should I go" threads?
Done. :)

Congrats everyone!

Last edited:

Operator

Chapman
I think you should attend. You're going to be learning comedy from a top comedy theater that has so many success stories in their history. Not to mention, the Second City theater (where half of your classes will be at), is one of the theaters SNL recruits from.

Last edited:

Dan

Deadline to accept offer is April 15, you’ll probably get a packet in the mail soon (I got mine yesterday)...I went with standard concentration too and also am hesitant because it isnt like a “big name” program, though it definitely appears to be on the come up and is already considered a top 15 program which is definitely nothing to sneeze at. Really glad you made this thread though, for some reason when I’m making a decision like this I love to focus on the reasons not to do it, the potential negative consequences, etc. Great to have a thread where we can explore our doubts. I’ve always loved Chicago and think going to school there would be awesome, but I wonder about the opportunities it may or may not lead to upon graduation. I will say, for a comedy concentration, Operator makes a great point, Second City is legendary.

Cd23

Chapman
I agree, I'm trepidatious because it's not as well known as others but yeah at the same time it's up there with them. The Second City thing is the main reason I applied. I'm basically holding out for if I get into a school in LA like UCLA, and my idea is to take improv classes there anyways if I end up there. And because hypothetically its a better school. What I'm realizing through this process is the main thing I want is to be employed in some way that has to do with film haha. Which for me where I'm at undergrad is not an option at all basically. So what it will come down to is which school will have the best opportunities for me

Zach0323

I wanted to bring up something they said in the interview that continues to bounce around in my head... They spoke about the freedom at DePaul being different than any of the LA schools. By this they meant/said you can enroll in a one-time 3-hour class on camera equipment on your first week, and be renting the equipment from there. The BIG benefit they spoke about was how these rentals are free. On top of that, you can also shoot almost anywhere in Chicago for free. This is of course different than Los Angeles where everything has a price and permit requirement.

To me, this is one of the most valuable things that DePaul has going for it. I'll be studying screenwriting, but am very much looking forward to collaborating with producers and directors within whichever program I choose. If I'm able to leave school with a large amount of real and tangible short films that have been made and have my name on them as a screenwriter, then that could potentially be just as valuable (if not more) as being in Los Angeles for graduate school...

Just something I've been thinking about lately for those accepted or interested in DePaul.

Dan

I wanted to bring up something they said in the interview that continues to bounce around in my head... They spoke about the freedom at DePaul being different than any of the LA schools. By this they meant/said you can enroll in a one-time 3-hour class on camera equipment on your first week, and be renting the equipment from there. The BIG benefit they spoke about was how these rentals are free. On top of that, you can also shoot almost anywhere in Chicago for free. This is of course different than Los Angeles where everything has a price and permit requirement.

To me, this is one of the most valuable things that DePaul has going for it. I'll be studying screenwriting, but am very much looking forward to collaborating with producers and directors within whichever program I choose. If I'm able to leave school with a large amount of real and tangible short films that have been made and have my name on them as a screenwriter, then that could potentially be just as valuable (if not more) as being in Los Angeles for graduate school...

Just something I've been thinking about lately for those accepted or interested in DePaul.
Excellent point Zach. Please be sure to let us know about your impressions when you visit, too, I for one won’t be able to go check it out in person and it’d be great to have an objective opinion from another prospective student.

Zach0323

Excellent point Zach. Please be sure to let us know about your impressions when you visit, too, I for one won’t be able to go check it out in person and it’d be great to have an objective opinion from another prospective student.
I absolutely will, Dan! I'm looking forward to going and will be very open-minded with my experience and opinion.

DylanR

LMU
Do any of you know exactly how it works with DePaul and their priority deadline in December and their much later final deadline of June 15th? So clearly they've accepted and waitlisted and rejected people already. But I feel like with that kind of system they couldn't have sent out as many acceptances as there are spots, most likely less. Do you think they've filled up like two thirds of their cohort at this point and depending on what other applications trickle in this Spring, they gradual let a few more later apps and waitlists in?

Cd23

Chapman
Do any of you know exactly how it works with DePaul and their priority deadline in December and their much later final deadline of June 15th? So clearly they've accepted and waitlisted and rejected people already. But I feel like with that kind of system they couldn't have sent out as many acceptances as there are spots, most likely less. Do you think they've filled up like two thirds of their cohort at this point and depending on what other applications trickle in this Spring, they gradual let a few more later apps and waitlists in?
I truly have no idea. I just had a call with one of the professors and they said the cohort is anywhere from 18-24 people. I'd guess they have a majority of spots saved for priority deadline but definitely a certain amount open for the later one, otherwise it wouldn't really make sense to have the second deadline, right? Try and get a fee waiver!

Dan

Just got an interview request from Brooklyn college, is depaul better tho? Can someone please just make my life decisions for me

Cd23

Chapman
Updating this because I did not receive a scholarship and I’m pretty basically nothing from DePaul which 1) not only pisses me off and tbh drops it on my list but 2) how tf am I supposed to pay for this lol? Like they only gave me unsibsidized loans- which are the WORST kind! Emerson and BU have given me some form of scholarship and maybe that’s because they’re bigger programs? But yeah.... f that

Cd23

Chapman
Updating this because I did not receive a scholarship and I’m pretty basically nothing from DePaul which 1) not only pisses me off and tbh drops it on my list but 2) how tf am I supposed to pay for this lol? Like they only gave me unsibsidized loans- which are the WORST kind! Emerson and BU have given me some form of scholarship and maybe that’s because they’re bigger programs? But yeah.... f that
So I guess this is a future heads up for people that they have VERY limited scholarship money and opportunity.

Operator

Chapman
Just got an interview request from Brooklyn college, is depaul better tho? Can someone please just make my life decisions for me
Brooklyn's program has only been around for about three years. They are one of the newest and youngest film schools in the country. However, I have seen some of their final production work they have made and some of it is pretty damn good. The classes are also on an actual film studio lot and not in a traditional college class room.

Dan

Brooklyn's program has only been around for about three years. They are one of the newest and youngest film schools in the country. However, I have seen some of their final production work they have made and some of it is pretty damn good. The classes are also on an actual film studio lot and not in a traditional college class room.
Thanks for the response. Adding to the difficulty here is that im actually gonna be using the GI Bill, so cost isnt really a factor. Id leave with a more comprehensive portfolio from Depaul, but maybe better career opportunities in NYC? Anyway I’m kinda putting the cart before the horse, I’ll see if I’m even accepted at Feirstein first. But its a hard decision.

Operator

Chapman
Thanks for the response. Adding to the difficulty here is that im actually gonna be using the GI Bill, so cost isnt really a factor. Id leave with a more comprehensive portfolio from Depaul, but maybe better career opportunities in NYC? Anyway I’m kinda putting the cart before the horse, I’ll see if I’m even accepted at Feirstein first. But its a hard decision.
DePaul is a private school so you have to see if they participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program so you don't end up paying out of pocket if their tuition is higher than the GI Bill cap. Brooklyn is a public school and by state law they are required to charge you in-state rates which Post 9/11 will cover 100% of.

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews