DePaul vs Brooklyn College (Feirstein) for screenwriting

Dan

Not sure which would be the better choice, can anyone shed some light? DePaul is a little more established and seems to be gaining traction, New York seems like a better hub for opportunities post grad...anybody have experience or inside knowledge here? Thank you all

I interviewed at Feirstein in-person. The facilities are very impressive, two floors in the "Steiner Studios" building. There's literally TV and films shooting on the other floors, and you pass tons of production people in the coffee shop across the street, in the elevator, etc. It's a very new program (founded in 2015 I think? they had their first graduating class in 2018.)

Tuition is about 20k a year, for 3 years, in-state, more if you're not a NYS resident. So not radically cheaper compared to private schools with a good merit scholarship, especially 2yr programs. But if being in NY is important it could be worth it.

For screenwriting, having access to really good equipment, sound stages, etc. might not matter as much... I'd definitely look at the faculty and see if you think it's a good fit. I know one of their featured alumni did major in screenwriting and landed a professorship at NYU.

Overall I was really impressed by the physical school, it's just a very new program... But it's promising and a great asset for film in NY.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply, this is a really tough decision for me and its really helpful to have as much info as possible. This is prob one of the best posts regarding feirstein on this whole website, tbqh.

I interviewed at Feirstein in-person. The facilities are very impressive, two floors in the "Steiner Studios" building. There's literally TV and films shooting on the other floors, and you pass tons of production people in the coffee shop across the street, in the elevator, etc. It's a very new program (founded in 2015 I think? they had their first graduating class in 2018.)

Tuition is about 20k a year, for 3 years, in-state, more if you're not a NYS resident. So not radically cheaper compared to private schools with a good merit scholarship, especially 2yr programs. But if being in NY is important it could be worth it.

For screenwriting, having access to really good equipment, sound stages, etc. might not matter as much... I'd definitely look at the faculty and see if you think it's a good fit. I know one of their featured alumni did major in screenwriting and landed a professorship at NYU.

Overall I was really impressed by the physical school, it's just a very new program... But it's promising and a great asset for film in NY.
Keep in mind if you are a US military veteran, New York state law dictates that all public universities/colleges must charge you in-state tuition rates.

Yeah, my major dilemma here is that in NYC the GI Bill pays out like 3400 per month whereas in Chicago it’s only 2k. I know the cost of living is higher in NYC, but just renting a decent quality room somewhere (with roommates) at like ~1k will leave me more than enough to be comfortable with...however, DePaul’s program is only 2 years whereas Feirsteins is 3...so theoretically, I could pursue a secondary masters if I went to DePaul...I’m also not sure how disparate these two programs are in quality and reputation...I literally just need someone to say “school ____ is the better decision.”

If you get into DePaul and apply for housing before May 1st, you can get a guaranteed spot in campus housing. At least that's what they told me. Also keep in mind most places in NYC require you to pay a brokers fee which is almost equal to first months rent along with your first months and security deposit just to move in.

But there are some really nice places in Uptown in Chicago that would be easily affordable with your BAH.

Here is BC's screenwriting faculty:

I would compare it to DePaul's faculty for the most rational decision... Screenwriting is obviously less dependent on equipment, IMO, so academics/the people you're studying under should be pretty relevant toward your choice.

I was straight up told in a video call with a DePaul professor that the tv writing jobs are not in chicago, and its not the place for it ... so if that's what you ultimately want then don't go to chicago if you can help it I guess

I was straight up told in a video call with a DePaul professor that the tv writing jobs are not in chicago, and its not the place for it ... so if that's what you ultimately want then don't go to chicago if you can help it I guess

Which like yes is fairly obvious but like you are choosing a place you could potentially be living in for the next 3-4 years

true, but if you're doing the comedy concentration being in Chicago is actually great due to the fact SNL recruits from The Second City which is where half the classes are held. They also have an optional final quarter in Los Angeles.

@Chris W can you please tell me how to live my life sir it would be greatly appreciated
Be sure to add your Applications to the Application Tracker. :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back