1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

Different personal statements for different universities?

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by gotenda, Nov 6, 2017.

1. gotenda

gotenda New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, graduate school hopefuls!

This may come off as a dumb question (I'm sorry), but are you all making different personal statements for each University?

I am currently applying to NYU and Columbia University (both MFA in Filmmaking / Directing), and had initially made different personal statements/autobiographical essay for each... but came to realize that one came out better than the other.

Although I realize each essay should somehow be tailored to a particular school, the mechanics of personal statements for the universities don't go far off. They basically ask you your goals as a filmmaker, and the stories you want to tell, etc etc.

I am freaking out, because I was thinking of using the better PS and just tweaking some parts a bit to cater to the particular universities. Am I the only one doing this? Is this an unwise decision?

Help, welp!

2. Kira

Kira MFA Screenwriter @UCLA

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +221
    If it is better, then use it.
    You don't need to make more work for yourself :)

3. Operator

Operator Active Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Keep in mind there maybe be professors who teach at both universities that may see the same letter.

4. Kira

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +221
    That's true. Take the aspects of the one that's better and apply to the former? Doesn't have to be a total replicant.

5. cakeislife

cakeislife Member

Top Poster Of Month

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But I thought only the admission officers would be able to see the PS?

6. Kira

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Well, I believe there is an admissions committee that's made up of screenwriting professors at the university. At USC, a professor read my application and brought it to the attention of the admissions committee. Same with UCLA - the screenwriting professor had read my application material before my interview.