Fall 2012 Applicants

Just wondering who will be applying this Fall and Winter/Spring for Fall 2012 admission. What's your background?

I'm starting my applications this summer and I hope to be accepted into an MFA program in Fall 2012. Ideally, I want to be a TV writer, so I'm trying to focus on TV specific programs if possible.

I plan on applying to:
USC (MFA Screenwriting - TV Emphasis)
LMU (MFA TV Writing and Producing)
Pepperdine University (MFA Screenwriting - TV Emphasis)
Chapman University (MFA Screenwriting)
CSU Fullerton (MFA Screenwriting)
CSU Northridge (MFA Screenwriting)

Currently finishing my undergrad at UC Berkeley. 2.9 GPA. Film Studies major. Disability Studies minor. Don't have any industry-related internships or experience, but I do have a paid internship with a disability rights organization and I write articles and have done 2 video projects with them.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I plan to in August, though I know my scores won't be very good.

I've spent the last 2 years of my undergrad building my scriptwriting portfolio and, with the exception of a feature-length screenplay I started writing for a Screenwriting class, I have developed my portfolio completely on my own (4 short film scripts, 2 TV spec scripts and a work-in-progress TV drama pilot) and am currently working on more scripts for the applications. I think I can manage strong essays, personal statements and writing samples (hopefully), but still not sure I'll get in anywhere.

I also know that I'm gonna ask for letters of recommendation from 2 professors and my internship supervisor.

Anyone else hoping to get into an MFA program in Fall 2012?

JKL

hey trucherrygirl! i'm also applying for Fall 2012.

Will be applying to NYU, USC, LMU, Chapman, UCLA, Columbia, AFI, FSU, and maybe Temple. I'm interested in Directing. I'm a film minor.

Hey!
I'm applying for fall '12 as well!
I plan on applying to usc ucla, nyu,lmu, boston, and possibly columbia!
I'm hoping to major in screenwriting for tv and film.

I attend Marshall University in WVa, and am a English-creative writing major, with a minor in history and political science.
I have script supervised for a small indie film, and pa'd on another one...i am currently interning with the same production company, plus i have interned for 2 newspapers, and write for my school paper.
I have alot of writing samples, but not many in script format, i have one script from a playwriting class, that i plan on polishing and submitting for my applications.

I dont know about you guys, but i am a nervous wreck hoping i get in!

JKL

Originally posted by trucherrygirl:
Awesome! What is your major?
I'm a Biology major--declared it thinking i'd be a doctor, but I discovered my passion for filmmaking the beginning of my junior year.

Do any of you plan on visiting some of the film schools you'll be applying to?

Welcome lovelaymedown!
I'm not quite nervous yet, but I know i'll be come march/april.

rcv

I'm looking for a school in Boston for an MFA in filmmaking. You mention that you are applying to a school in Boston. What school?

Originally posted by lovelaymedown:
Hey!
I'm applying for fall '12 as well!
I plan on applying to usc ucla, nyu,lmu, boston, and possibly columbia!
I'm hoping to major in screenwriting for tv and film.

I attend Marshall University in WVa, and am a English-creative writing major, with a minor in history and political science.
I have script supervised for a small indie film, and pa'd on another one...i am currently interning with the same production company, plus i have interned for 2 newspapers, and write for my school paper.
I have alot of writing samples, but not many in script format, i have one script from a playwriting class, that i plan on polishing and submitting for my applications.

I dont know about you guys, but i am a nervous wreck hoping i get in!

Dimos

I'm also going to apply for the Fall '12 year. For the usual culprits; USC,NYU,Columbia,AFI... Not sure how spread out I should go, each additional application I feel adds a lot of more work and consumes more time... So debating to do more or not.

I have a business undergrad. Interesting in Directing and editing... But also interested to a lesser degree to the other aspects such as cinematography.

yea i was talking about boston u, though Emerson college appears to have a pretty good screenwriting program as well, so i may look into it as well.
What is everyones credentials?

cellardoor

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. Going to be preparing to apply for producers programs for fall '12. Also considering the MFA/MBA dual degree. Still trying to find my bearings.

Starting to send in my Fall 2012 applications now!

Updated background info/stats: 25 years old. BA in Film Studies with a minor in Disability Studies. 3.0 cumulative UC GPA.

MFA Screenwriting applicant. Schools I'm officially applying to:

CSU Fullerton
CSU Los Angeles
CSU Northridge
Pepperdine University
Chapman University

Taking the GRE on Thursday cuz I had a borderline 2.9/3.0 GPA for awhile. I know my GRE scores won't be high at all (should I worry?), but I feel very good about my personal statement, writing samples (a short film script and/or sitcom pilot, depending on the department's requirements) and I think I have some good letters of rec as well.

No direct entertainment industry experience, but I've spent the last 3 years (well, it'll be 3 years in March) teaching myself scriptwriting. I took my first screenwriting class a year ago, but I taught myself a lot before and since then. Also had a paid internship for over a year at a disability rights non-profit organization, so I have non-profit experience and I hope to use that along with my scriptwriting skills.

Though I still worry about my chances of being accepted somewhere. Anywhere, really... /:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews