[Fall 2021] Help with choosing film schools... USC vs Columbia

laoyang

I thought it might be useful to start a thread for people trying to decide where to go now...

Personally, I'm having a hard time deciding between Columbia vs. USC. I'm definitely someone that values storytelling and writing more than access to great equipment (I know that, according to online information, Columbia is more writing-focused and USC much less so). With that being said, however, I worry that Columbia is so not production-focused that I might not get enough production experience and a well-considered portfolio. I also worry that Columbia doesn't have that much alumni connections and resources according to some of the alumni interviews. On the other hand, does USC really have much less emphasis on writing when compared to Columbia? ... I appreciate any kind of feedback or suggestions, whether related or not related to my questions!!

I cannot speak on behalf of USC, but I will argue on the opposite of most of what you have said for Columbia. When a pandemic is not causing chaos around the world, you will leave Columbia with about 7 films minimum (3-5, 8-12, D4, Thesis and Non-Thesis but also factoring in every film you crew on as well). Many of Columbia's films go on to the large name festivals, ex. Double Speak this year by Hazel McKibbin went to Sundance. Kevin Haeflin's 3-5 is still winning at festivals. Etc. Etc.

Alumni: Katherine Bigelow, Jennifer Lee, Andrew Hauser, Maureen Ryan, Greg Mottola, James Mangold, and "technically" Greta Gerwig. We also have professors like James Schamus.

Equipment varies, but we have Canon C200, Panasonic AU-EVA1, Sony FS5, and higher level films can also check out an ARRI. Sound Equipment is pretty basic Sound Devices. Tons of light packages to choose from, etc. However reminder, you're not going to school to be a boom op, so this equipment is great, but you can make art through a great story which Columbia focuses on.

Please DM me with any other questions specific to Columbia.

I cannot speak on behalf of USC, but I will argue on the opposite of most of what you have said for Columbia. When a pandemic is not causing chaos around the world, you will leave Columbia with about 7 films minimum (3-5, 8-12, D4, Thesis and Non-Thesis but also factoring in every film you crew on as well). Many of Columbia's films go on to the large name festivals, ex. Double Speak this year by Hazel McKibbin went to Sundance. Kevin Haeflin's 3-5 is still winning at festivals. Etc. Etc.

Alumni: Katherine Bigelow, Jennifer Lee, Andrew Hauser, Maureen Ryan, Greg Mottola, James Mangold, and "technically" Greta Gerwig. We also have professors like James Schamus.

Equipment varies, but we have Canon C200, Panasonic AU-EVA1, Sony FS5, and higher level films can also check out an ARRI. Sound Equipment is pretty basic Sound Devices. Tons of light packages to choose from, etc. However reminder, you're not going to school to be a boom op, so this equipment is great, but you can make art through a great story which Columbia focuses on.

Thank you SO much for answering my question! I watched some Columbia student films and loved them!

I thought it might be useful to start a thread for people trying to decide where to go now...

Personally, I'm having a hard time deciding between Columbia vs. USC. I'm definitely someone that values storytelling and writing more than access to great equipment (I know that, according to online information, Columbia is more writing-focused and USC much less so). With that being said, however, I worry that Columbia is so not production-focused that I might not get enough production experience and a well-considered portfolio. I also worry that Columbia doesn't have that much alumni connections and resources according to some of the alumni interviews. On the other hand, does USC really have much less emphasis on writing when compared to Columbia? ... I appreciate any kind of feedback or suggestions, whether related or not related to my questions!!
Your answer did help! Thank you! May I ask about the class size in CU since I really love the mentership. I wonder how many students would be in every class? Thank you!

Hey Holly! I know gear doesn’t REALLY matter, but I am curious about what you mentioned about it. I crewed on an 8-12 and wasn’t crazy impressed with what we were able to check out from Columbia. Do you get access to better lighting gear and cameras like an Arri after the 8-12, or are they more for thesis productions?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back