Fall 2023 Brooklyn College Feirstein Acceptance - Now What?

My talk with an alum went great & here are some key takeaways I thought were worth sharing with the caveat that this is one person's experience/opinion:
-- the professors really care, are artists/professionals/know what they're doing & a lot of them work at NYU/Columbia as well (meaning you receive a similar education at least in their classes)
-- the network (professors and peers) is real- the way everyone works together in the first semester helps you get close with each other, they stay in touch post-graduating, and many graduates are working in the industry despite how hard it can be to break in
-- this school may not help you find your voice but if you know your voice already, it will help you learn how to use it (ie. its a craft school); similarly, they did a good job of helping the incoming class all get to the same level by so everyone spoke the same language despite varying experience levels coming in
-- the track system can be tricky since after the first year you're in your major pretty much all the time but if you're able to hustle for your work, that is less of a hindrance (felt like this is more for screenwriters)
-- if you go, go with a plan for what you want out of the experience; that will set you up for success in your thesis and beyond
-- overall, they said they would do it all over again if they had the chance

some of these feel specific to this program while others felt like just generally good grad school advice. hope this helps in making decisions!

------

also just a note on NYC since I see some people are talking about it...I've lived here for seven years & it's definitely a unique place, filled with film opportunities (it's up there w LA imo), but it is expensive, like really expensive. it got worse during the pandemic & there are no signs of it letting up soon, however, in my experience, there's always a way to make it work if it's your dream or you just want to try it out. & in relation to the other cities most people talk about in these subs (LA, Boston, Chicago) cost of living is not that different.
Awesome, thanks for sharing all this! Really gives a better sense of the place and instills more confidence for sure. And yeah NYC is expensive, just how it goes. I've lived in other places that are cheaper, but there's usually such a dearth of film opportunities. Anyway, thanks again for posting all this info!

Hi guys, I'll be attending BC Feirstein (for Directing) this upcoming Fall 2023 semester. Looking to connect with anyone else who's attending. I'm from NC, I'll be moving to Brooklyn this summer! :)
Hey I'm also going to be at Feirstein for Directing this fall, great to connect with a future classmate! Especially since I can't make it to the incoming students open house in May. I'm from VA, moving to Brooklyn in July. Were you able to get into all the class sections you wanted on Monday?

Hey I'm also going to be at Feirstein for Directing this fall, great to connect with a future classmate! Especially since I can't make it to the incoming students open house in May. I'm from VA, moving to Brooklyn in July. Were you able to get into all the class sections you wanted on Monday?
Nice! Yes I was able to get registered on Monday, how about you? I won't be able to make orientation in May either, but Matthew told me Feirstein has its own orientation sometime in August before classes begin.

Oh nice, yeah I was able to get registered for everything I wanted. Most of my sections haven't filled up, although the production workshop is almost full (11 of 13 seats), that's the Thursday morning section with Lessovitz. Good to hear Feirstein has their own orientation in August, that I could actually make. Wonder if we'll have any classes together!

That's cool. I love Monticello. I'm from Western New York but I went to William & Mary.
Oh awesome yeah I almost went there! Williamsburg is cool, and Monticello is nice too, I went there a few years ago. In western NY I've only been to Buffalo, haven't been to Rochester. I think there's actually another student in the directing track from Rochester.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back