FAMU CIN KK Program 2019

ak47ksha

Hello! Has anyone else applied to FAMU's cinematography MFA? Has your interview been scheduled?

Hi there! I was going to apply this year, but I think I am going to wait either one more year or when they create the 3 year cinematography program. Congrats on your interview! How was your process of application? How was the interview?

ak47ksha

Hi there! I was going to apply this year, but I think I am going to wait either one more year or when they create the 3 year cinematography program. Congrats on your interview! How was your process of application? How was the interview?
Thank you! They have some pretty strict guidelines for their application assignments. The application process is quite smooth and they're willing to help you with any challenges you may have. The interview was harder than expected because their course is (I think) more theory oriented than other cinematography programs. I think mine went well though. I had an AFI interview last week so that was good prep 😅

elisasouza

I was also going to apply, but I was busy at the time, so if I don't go to AFI this year I'll try on 2020 :) But that made me very hesitant, I love theory and I think it's super important, I just keep asking myself what opportunities FAMU would bring me... I live in Brazil, I don't know if anybody here cares if you have a MFA or not hahaha
What do you mean harder? What did they ask you? I thought the AFI one was very chill, do you mean it was just more tense? lol

I was also going to apply, but I was busy at the time, so if I don't go to AFI this year I'll try on 2020 :) But that made me very hesitant, I love theory and I think it's super important, I just keep asking myself what opportunities FAMU would bring me... I live in Brazil, I don't know if anybody here cares if you have a MFA or not hahaha
What do you mean harder? What did they ask you? I thought the AFI one was very chill, do you mean it was just more tense? lol
My undergrad was super theoretical and critical theory as well. I went to UC San Diego in California. It wasn't a film program, more so a video art program. I got to learn under French New Wave filmmakers JP Gorin (worked with Godard) and Babette Mangolte. So it was a very bizarre program, but I learned how to be an artist, but I do miss the more technical camera training. What did you study in undergrad?

Thank you! They have some pretty strict guidelines for their application assignments. The application process is quite smooth and they're willing to help you with any challenges you may have. The interview was harder than expected because their course is (I think) more theory oriented than other cinematography programs. I think mine went well though. I had an AFI interview last week so that was good prep 😅
What do you mean by more theory orientated? What did they ask?

yisiling

it really depends. I feel like most of the industry doesn't care if you have a degree or not. But if you want to stay in America, work in the industry, that's a different story. Because having a MFA makes it easier to get your O-1 visa or H1B. But if you have a lot of experiences in Brazil, that may be a different story.

ak47ksha

I totally get the hesitation about going to FAMU. However, it is one of the oldest school's in Europe with a lot of history and culture surrounding it. It's not just theory (from what I can tell) and has a fair bit of practical training so I think it's a great option. When I spoke to the interview panel about prospects after the MFA, they suggested that Prague is probably not the place to stay and work because of the language barrier but Europe in general has a lot of scope in terms of working in productions. I guess, networking during those two years (or three, from next year) is key.

I thought AFI was pretty chill too, I guess it's my nerves talking 😅 I felt AFI was more interested in my personal history and work experience whereas the FAMU interview was more about trying to find out my knowledge of theory and cinematography.

My undergrad was super theoretical and critical theory as well. I went to UC San Diego in California. It wasn't a film program, more so a video art program. I got to learn under French New Wave filmmakers JP Gorin (worked with Godard) and Babette Mangolte. So it was a very bizarre program, but I learned how to be an artist, but I do miss the more technical camera training. What did you study in undergrad?
I did a BA in Mass Communication with a focus on Film and Television Production from India. It was a combination of theory and practical training so it was useful in that sense. But there wasn't enough of a focus on Cinematography which is why I'm hoping to do a post-grad degree.

What do you mean by more theory orientated? What did they ask?
Mostly about my knowledge of light, sensors and they asked me about some films and filmmakers.

I totally get the hesitation about going to FAMU. However, it is one of the oldest school's in Europe with a lot of history and culture surrounding it. It's not just theory (from what I can tell) and has a fair bit of practical training so I think it's a great option. When I spoke to the interview panel about prospects after the MFA, they suggested that Prague is probably not the place to stay and work because of the language barrier but Europe in general has a lot of scope in terms of working in productions. I guess, networking during those two years (or three, from next year) is key.

I thought AFI was pretty chill too, I guess it's my nerves talking 😅 I felt AFI was more interested in my personal history and work experience whereas the FAMU interview was more about trying to find out my knowledge of theory and cinematography.

Let me know if you get in and decide to go to AFI. I can shed some light into some of their assignments. They do this Cycle book for 3 cycle films in the 1st year and it's an intense analysis of your three films broken down into setups, exposures, light meter readings, etc

I did a BA in Mass Communication with a focus on Film and Television Production from India. It was a combination of theory and practical training so it was useful in that sense. But there wasn't enough of a focus on Cinematography which is why I'm hoping to do a post-grad degree.

Mostly about my knowledge of light, sensors and they asked me about some films and filmmakers.
Thank you for shedding some light into the interview process and FAMU in general. You pretty much confirmed what I've been suspecting all this time. And I think what you said about Prague and not staying there to work makes sense. But the prestige and the intense amount of learning is definitely there at FAMU. Milos and many other great Czech filmmakers went there too. The facilities look top notch too. A lot of emphasis in 16 and 35mm and digital too which will be fun. I'm going to try to visit sometime next year. Ideally, I want an MFA so I can teach at USA universities in the future as well as work in the industry too.

elisasouza

That's what's always on my mind when thinking about Prague, that I wouldn't stay and work there... But the course itself seems amazing, really.
My undergrad was in film in general, I didn't get to see a lot regarding cinematography. I took courses in other places, and I've been working as a 2nd assistant camera, so that has given me the (small) knowledge I have, not really my university course.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews