Film Festivals in a time of Covid-19

ha. So - I thought I would start this discussion as it seems like on the side some interesting things are happening (or trying to) with regards to keeping the industry a live through online screenings etc. Stage32 is attempting to start something up, and festivals are agreeing to drop some strict premiere requirements for the 20/21 circuit.

I was pretty bummed when SXSW got cancelled 4 days before I was meant to fly over to go represent a film I produced and edited that was supposed to screen there - and I have a second short in the final stages of post now which, well, I guess the original festival strategy has to be thrown out the window.

I am also now sitting with non refundable airtickets (SXSW got cancelled before the global travel restrictions were in place and so I couldn't get a refund -could only place them on hold to be used before Jan '21).

Was wondering, from the general American and other cohorts on here; what are some of your favourite short film festivals that you've found valuable for your careers that's later on in the year and would be worth attending (hoping the world gets covid under control in the next three months or so)? If Palmsprings shortfest is still on, seeing as it is a market as well, I am considering attending that even if my short gets in or not - because I have about 4 more projects or so that would be valuable to market at the .. market?

Anywaays - thoughts, ideas, similar experiences?

Or has anyone here had any interesting experiences with online releases? Vimeo Staff Picks or Short of the Week or such. Or even the move of some film festivals to go online or new ones such as 'My Darling Quarantine'.

:)

As someone currently in the film festival industry, I'd say it's definitely a hard time.
Aside from the fear of getting rescheduled/ cancelled/ staff getting laid off, there are also many trivial things that get into the way. For example, the festival I'm working for now has trouble mailing back DCPs, delivering prizes and materials. We also aren't able to start inviting talents or guests or in this case, do anything because the industry is literally paused. So even if situation lightens up in the next 2 months, we are going to see a continuing list of festival cancellations due to travel changes, production shifts, etc.

As for short film festivals- I think all the academy-qualified shorts fests are great for filmmakers. Of course there are the obvious options (Sundance, SXSW, Tribeca, the European bunch, etc.) but I find a lot of local fests impressive, and some foreign ones are the best! Bogota in Columbia, Busan Shorts in Korea, and obviously, Short Shorts in Japan...

I remember Busan Short Fest having a short film market (if my memory didn't betray me) and Short Shorts screening some of their programmed films on their website, so those can be good resources. Even if you can't attend the festival, I believe it's great to get your film out there nevertheless. I would also suggest looking into agencies that represent short films. I've worked with a lot of them and they are amazing. You can find an incomplete list of agencies here

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back