Film School MFA course in Direction for fall 2018

Ray

Hi I an international student. I am applying for the courses in the US for Masters in Direction for fall 2018. I have following colleges in my preference list .

1. Please let me know if I need to add or omit any college from the list.
2. I have started the application now. Is it too late??
3. Is it fine if I apply to these many colleges??

1.University of Southern California
2.University of California Los Angeles
3.American Film Institute
4.New york University
5.Chapman University
6.Loyola Marymount University
7.Emerson College
8.Columbia College Chicago
9.Boston University
10.California Institute of the Arts
11. Ringling College of Art and Design

Thanks in Advance. Would appreciate any views or suggestions to apply.

Operator

First thing I have to ask is, are you going to back to your country after you graduate, or are you going to stay in the United States? If you are going to stay, I suggest you omit any schools that are not close to New York City and Los Angeles, as those are the main film/tv hubs in the US and have better connections for internships and a better alumni networks. Atlanta is a close third in my opinion since a lot of filming is being done there as well. Savannah College of Art and Design has an MFA in Film & Television at their Atlanta campus.

Now, I know some schools, depending on their program allow you do a semester or two in Los Angeles, such as Emerson College and Boston University. You'd have to call them and see if they line up any internships for you while you're there.

Ray

I am planning to stay in the US after my graduation. thanks for your help appreciate it. Do you think there is any other college in the LA that I have missed out and I should apply???

Operator

And an edit to my above post. Columbia College Chicago also has their final semester in Los Angeles. If you end up in Chicago, don't live anywhere in the southern part of the city. Stay north, or north west.

Ray

And an edit to my above post. Columbia College Chicago also has their final semester in Los Angeles. If you end up in Chicago, don't live anywhere in the southern part of the city. Stay north, or north west.
Thank you so much for your time. Really appreciate it.

Alok NR

thank you so much for this as I am currently considering joinging DePauls in Chicago. I have also gotten through San Francisco State University, Could you suggest which would be a better option ?

Operator

thank you so much for this as I am currently considering joinging DePauls in Chicago. I have also gotten through San Francisco State University, Could you suggest which would be a better option ?
I'd say Chicago just because there's a lot of filming there. Chicago PD, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire and Shameless all film there.

Alok NR

I'd say Chicago just because there's a lot of filming there. Chicago PD, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire and Shameless all film there.

Wonderful! Thats valuable information as I am an international applicant and I am not too familiar with the productions there. Also would you know how well are these colleges reputed in the industry? Another thing I wanted to ask was about how expensive Chicago and SF would be respectively. Any insights would be greatly helpful !

civetta

SFSU is #22 in the Hollywood Reporter's top 25 film schools, and they always feature in this annual list. Also, according to the THR, they accept only 15 students, so you should really research both schools

Operator

Wonderful! Thats valuable information as I am an international applicant and I am not too familiar with the productions there. Also would you know how well are these colleges reputed in the industry? Another thing I wanted to ask was about how expensive Chicago and SF would be respectively. Any insights would be greatly helpful !
Oh, that fact that you're international will make it very hard for you to get work if you're here on a student visa. In fact, you might not be allowed to legally work at all.
San Fransisco is the most expensive city in the United States. A studio or one bedroom apartment can be near $3,500 USD a month.

Alok NR

Oh, that fact that you're international will make it very hard for you to get work if you're here on a student visa. In fact, you might not be allowed to legally work at all.
San Fransisco is the most expensive city in the United States. A studio or one bedroom apartment can be near $3,500 USD a month.

Being a state school SFSU tuition is abt 8.5 k a year, which is crazy considering how expensive film school usually are. So I believe I can spare sm money I save there for housing. (Still in the process of finding housing info).

Could you tell me more abt the situation with international students getting a job post graduation? How hard is it to get legal work permits if your not from US? How do the tons of international students who come to filmschools in US normally go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated in this regard.

I'll post more info about DePaul and SFSU as I discover.

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya

Latest Accepted Applications