1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

Film School MFA Written Materials of Accepted Students; Personal Statements, Screenplays, Stories

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by mistah_P, Apr 4, 2018.

1. mistah_P

mistah_P Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey all,

Browsing through the forums here, I came across a few samples of SOPs, screenplays and so on of folks who have been accepted before and have graciously shared this stuff on the site, and couldn’t help but think what a great resource this would be for all current and future applications to make a kind of “Master Thread” with all those materials. And this is it!

I’ve copied the materials I found (and it’s not much, yet) to a Google drive folder which I wanted to share with y’all: Folder with Written Materials of Accepted MFA Applications.

The materials are organized by user name. I’ve taking the liberty of placing files already shared openly by the following users: @JLWilco, @Michel Lichand, @Olivia Song and @Teddy. So a hearty thanks goes out to you guys who have generously shared.

And since we are in a celebratory time for many of the users here who are just now getting their accepts, I thought this would be a great time to ask those who are willing to share their written materials here (I’ve seen other threads with Vimeo links, so thought it would be best to limit it to application materials):

- Resume
    - Statement of Purpose
    - Screenplays
    - Writing samples
    - Essays
    - Letters of reference
    - Portfolio List

So if you are willing (and that would be awesome) just post them here in the forum (as per your suggestion @Chris W), and copy them into the Google Drive Folder (best would be under your user name, as well as which school or schools the application was for).

I think most useful would be to share the applications “that worked” so we can get get insights into them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  2. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member Contributor

Top Poster Of Month

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Here's a link to one of 3 short films I submitted to Chapman. This is the longest. It was shot in 2011 during my undergrad at University of Michigan. My most recent shorts are in festival competitions so I am not able to share those publicly at this time.

Little Shadows (2011) -

I'd be happy to publicly share my resume also. As soon as I figure out what drive it's on haha. I will mention that I had to completely re-tool my regular film resume which is all my AD and PA credits and give it more of a grad school/traditional format which I was very out of practice doing.

#2 IndecisiveElle, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  3. Teddy

Teddy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hey, just a note - the file in JLWilco's folder that says UCLA_SOP_JoshuaStaman.pdf is actually Sabin's SOP.

4. mistah_P

mistah_P Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Whoops. I'll move that. Thanks for the note.

5. mistah_P

mistah_P Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +16

oh yeah....

6. IndecisiveElle

Top Poster Of Month

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Found my resume!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jason

Jason Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Attached are some items. The other school's essays were basically the same, a bit different.

. --- visual sample (shot just me, no artificial light (camera on tripod)

Attached Files:

• Love Love x 2
  8. Operator

Operator Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Here's my resume I used for Chapman's MFA in TV Writing and Producing. I'm not posting my essay or any writing samples, though. I removed my demo reel link because it has personal contact info on it. But I think my application was more weighted on my interview rather than my resume.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. mistah_P

mistah_P Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks! Added to google Drive.

10. IndecisiveElle

Top Poster Of Month

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +452
    This video won't be able to be embedded as I don't have it listed publicly yet, but this is the 5 minute short I made on the topic: A Discovery - for my AFI Application. I also submitted it to Chapman. Both schools had really positive feedback about it.

• Like Like x 1