First Year LMU Graduate Film Student (MFA in Film and TV Prod.)-AMA!

andy001

Hey all!
I love FIlmSchool.org, and it helped me a lot when I was applying so I thought I'd check in and update on my first year in school! I'm liking my program a lot, and I find it helpful. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about applications, classes, workload, etc.

tls

Supporter
@andy001

Hi Andy! I have my interview scheduled for 2 weeks from now and am excited to learn more about the program.

A few Qs for ya:

School:
What's your favorite part of the program?
Least favorite part?
Do you feel that at LMU they will equip you with not only the technical skills/artistic craft(prob a given), but the business sense to know how to find employment after graduation? (This is important to me because I want to be a director....but I have no idea how to launch a career as a director, knowwhatimsayin?
Why did you choose LMU?

Interview:
Any hot tips for the interview?

Thanks a mill!

andy001

@andy001

Hi Andy! I have my interview scheduled for 2 weeks from now and am excited to learn more about the program.

A few Qs for ya:

School:
What's your favorite part of the program?
Least favorite part?
Do you feel that at LMU they will equip you with not only the technical skills/artistic craft(prob a given), but the business sense to know how to find employment after graduation? (This is important to me because I want to be a director....but I have no idea how to launch a career as a director, knowwhatimsayin?
Why did you choose LMU?

Interview:
Any hot tips for the interview?

Thanks a mill!
Congrats!

Answers:
1. I really like how LMU replaces the mystery of film with the practical. There's an emphasis on just writing a good story and going out to shoot it. I also really like the camaraderie of the students and how we stick together to work out our scripts. It's really helpful.
2. My least favorite part would probably be..well, frankly, as much as it helps to get the feedback I think some professors kind of beat it down to a pulp and you could feel like your writing's not great. But this is something you should know in film school; you have to defend your scripts and ideas to the last bone. They will critique the hell out of our ideas, so write good ones. I dislike it at times because I've made a lot of shorts without thinking too hard about the script, so it's something I'm getting used to. The feedback will only make you better.
3. Yea, I do. I'm still in the first year but they are always bombarding me with emails offering internship opportunities and the professors do a good job at getting down to brass tacks about the business. One thing they'll let you know; it ain't easy. Get to work, and utilize the opportunities offered through the program and its connections.
4. I chose LMU because it's a top 10 school and the tuition is way more reasonable then most of the other top 10 schools (NYU, Columbia, and USC are kind of nuts when it comes to tuition). It's also located in LA, has a fantastic network, and also has a kickass campus. it's really pretty. So the choice was obvious out of all the ones I had (I got into UMiami and CU Boulder, and got waitlisted for UCLA).

Interview:
Be yourself! Emphasize your goals and what you want to do with a career in film. I didn't think my interview was great on my part to be honest, I thought I didn't do great. I overthought it. But they will ask questions that might throw you off guard, so just answer them comfortably and don't think too hard about the answer. I think I talked their ear off on some questions, but apparently it worked. I showed a lot of enthusiasm too. Go forth and do your best.

Best of luck my friend! I'm sure you'll do fine and if you get in and choose it, you'll be in good hands. Best of luck!

tls

Supporter
Congrats!

Answers:
1. I really like how LMU replaces the mystery of film with the practical. There's an emphasis on just writing a good story and going out to shoot it. I also really like the camaraderie of the students and how we stick together to work out our scripts. It's really helpful.
2. My least favorite part would probably be..well, frankly, as much as it helps to get the feedback I think some professors kind of beat it down to a pulp and you could feel like your writing's not great. But this is something you should know in film school; you have to defend your scripts and ideas to the last bone. They will critique the hell out of our ideas, so write good ones. I dislike it at times because I've made a lot of shorts without thinking too hard about the script, so it's something I'm getting used to. The feedback will only make you better.
3. Yea, I do. I'm still in the first year but they are always bombarding me with emails offering internship opportunities and the professors do a good job at getting down to brass tacks about the business. One thing they'll let you know; it ain't easy. Get to work, and utilize the opportunities offered through the program and its connections.
4. I chose LMU because it's a top 10 school and the tuition is way more reasonable then most of the other top 10 schools (NYU, Columbia, and USC are kind of nuts when it comes to tuition). It's also located in LA, has a fantastic network, and also has a kickass campus. it's really pretty. So the choice was obvious out of all the ones I had (I got into UMiami and CU Boulder, and got waitlisted for UCLA).

Interview:
Be yourself! Emphasize your goals and what you want to do with a career in film. I didn't think my interview was great on my part to be honest, I thought I didn't do great. I overthought it. But they will ask questions that might throw you off guard, so just answer them comfortably and don't think too hard about the answer. I think I talked their ear off on some questions, but apparently it worked. I showed a lot of enthusiasm too. Go forth and do your best.

Best of luck my friend! I'm sure you'll do fine and if you get in and choose it, you'll be in good hands. Best of luck!
Lovely - so helpful! Thanks and best of luck to you with everything as well!

andy001

I thought tuition at LMU was fairly competitive with USC and AFI...isn't it in the 50k's?
No, maybe for undergrad but not for grad. In fact, I do believe their undergrad is significantly more. The first year is 30k, and the last two are at about 20k each for the three year MFA film and production program I'm in. USC is about 35k a year while AFI is at a larger amount of 65k a year, for two years.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member

aaaaa

No, maybe for undergrad but not for grad. In fact, I do believe their undergrad is significantly more. The first year is 30k, and the last two are at about 20k each for the three year MFA film and production program I'm in. USC is about 35k a year while AFI is at a larger amount of 65k a year, for two years.
thank you!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Have any thoughts on current admin change news? There's a discussion in the private LMU forum.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Data, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience data, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Data tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Brooklyn College (CUNY) Feirstein - MFA in Cinematography
    1.00 star(s)
    A Mess
    It took me a while to write this review but when I saw there were none from current students I felt it was important to do so. I came to Feirstein...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Undergraduate Film & Television
    5.00 star(s)
    I had a great time here but that was back in the late 90s
    I loved NYU. I was a pre-med student who transferred in 1999 and graduated 2001. I received two scholarships, multiple grants and loans. They had...
    • anniewaits
  • Boston University - College of Communication (M.F.A. Screenwriting)
    4.00 star(s)
    Screenwriting Program Review by a Second Year Student
    Current student in the screenwriting MFA program at BU. There’s a lot to love in this program, I think overall it is one of the more underrated...
    • Cody Young
  • Hofstra University - Department of Radio, Television, Film
    5.00 star(s)
    Quality Facilities, Caring Professors
    Great school that prepares you for the New York film and television scene. The facilities are state of the art and the teachers are top notch.
    • joekgilberto
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications