Florida State 2010

Jubs

Didn't see a topic about this, but if one exists, feel free to delete this thread.

Anyways, anyone applied to FSU this year and hear back? I received an e-mail this morning, requesting an interview on Feb. 19 or 20. I applied for screenwriting, btw. Production/Directing will probably have later/earlier dates.

I bombed my interview last year at FSU, so I'm glad, almost grateful, that they want me back again for a round 2. Hopefully I won't stink it up as bad as I did last year.

Congrats Jubs.
I applied for production and received the same email.
I'm considering whether I should ask for a phone interview because I'm an international student (from Taiwan).
Would phone interview place me at some disadvantage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jubs,

Do you mine defining "bombed"? Also, do you mind sharing how much experience, background, and anything you might think help?

I'd really love to get into FSU, so, kind of curious.

Hey all,

I also got the email asking if I would be available for the interview weekend, but I'm living in Madrid and won't be able to attend.

I asked if I could do the phone interview, and they seemed open to it. To respond to Yiling, my take is that a phone interview probably does put us at some sort of disadvantage. With such a small class size (they only take 6 a year) I'm sure that they're not only looking at individuals, but also a dynamic between the students. Without the group interview it's hard to gauge how we would mesh in the group.

Jubs, if you can share any insight into the interview process I know I'd greatly appreciate it.

All the best to everyone who has applied...

I've heard that they've sent out e-mails from Temple and from Florida State, neither of which I received. I don't think this bodes well for my chances.

Wannabe2:

When I say bombed, I came in and just flat out did horrible. Like, I didn't have great, well-thought answers. Didn't give a lot of the questions much thought. It was pretty bad.

To answer your second question, I have zero experience with film. I do not have an undergraduate degree in film, never been on a film set, never read a script, nothing. The only thing I had was a want to be in film. That might have actually worked against me last year, since they drilled me about my lack of experience during the interview. But it does show they're willing to interview - and bring aboard - people who zero to little experience.

dfp7882:

It's a pretty straightforward process. You're interviewed for about 20-30 minutes, by a committee of four people. After that, everyone who is there for an interview is brought together for a group interview, which lasts about ten minutes. Then a tour is given out. And that's it!

Jubs- I hope you don't mind my asking, but what did you submit for your portfolio. No specifics necessary. The application doesn't state to include a sample, but a writing same is required. I'm just curious, because since they preface so much about the purpose statement, i'm wondering how much you and others submitted. But, feel free not to answer if this is too much info.

wannabe2:

Did you apply for screenwriting or production/directing? I applied for screenwriting, and they listed specific items they wanted for that concentration. Production/Direction requirements differed from screenwriting.

For screenwriters, an original creative writing sample was required, and I sent in a five-page short film screenplay to fulfill it. Other than that, they had two writing assignments, and the usual stuff that were required (GRE scores, transcripts, letters, etc.).

Hey Everyone,

I just got a call from FSU and I got an interview for Production!

I am shaking! So it looks like calls are going out. Good luck, everyone!

Just got the call too, for production. Also just realized that they called at what would be 6PM there. A little late, isn't it?

Hi all,
I emailed back to ask for a phone interview and got Ebonee's email that my phone interview may be scheduled on Feb 21. I'm getting nervous.

Christopher,
You should make a call to ask. I think they email to international applicants but call those who are in the US. It may take some time to inform all interviewees.

dfp7882,
Thanks for your response. It seems that all we can do is to show our best in the phone interview. Did you apply for production? I remember they admitted 24 or 25 per year since they emphasize on collaborative production.

Good luck to everyone!

Yiling,

I'm actually a screenwriting applicant, and I saw that you mentioned you were in production after I put up my post. Whooops!
In any case I'm doing the phone interview as well. It's not ideal, but hopefully they'll try to keep those of us who couldn't make it in mind when it comes to acceptances.

I went back and looked at some of the former FSU threads about the interview process to see if I could gleen anything about what to expect. I only found that the interview was intense and intimidating, but not anything on what sorts of questions to expect.

So I was hoping a fomer interviewee or current FSU grad student could shed some light on what sort of questions to expect. Thanks!

Hey, everyone! I'm new to the forum. I too got a call yesterday from FSU to interview for Production. Like everyone else, I'm hoping someone who interviewed last year can share their experience. I'm also surprised that I received the phone call because I never followed through with applying to the university so I assumed my application was dissqualified. Therefore I'm
also wondering if this has happened with other people previously & if I still have time to apply to the university. I know I will ultimately need to contact the school but was curious to hear other people's thoughts. Thanks and good luck everyone!!

This is really disheartening for me. I have not heard ANYTHING. I hope they will continue to make calls this coming week. I applied last year and got a notification that I was wanted for an interview, but I withdrew my application because I took a job. I got THAT notification on the 11th of February, so maybe there is still hope! Congrats to everyone who has heard something though!

Yeah Nicole,

I really wouldn't worry yet. They interview something like 96-110, which is impossible to notify in one day.

Really? They invite that many? I mean, it makes sense, because you want enough people to make the best class available, but that just means we'll all have to step it up even more! Especially those who are lacking in certain academic sections, I'd think.

I would very much like to hear from people who applied last year and had interviews. Knowing what to expect would help out some of us. I'd hate to drive from Missouri to Florida and bomb incredibly.

That being said, good luck to everyone! I hope I'll get to meet some of you on one of these weekends!

Nicole, just got the call, so they are def still making them. Here is my question: Is anyone driving down from somewhere in the the Northeast Feb 28, March 12, 13, 14, 19 or 20th?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back