Florida State 2010

Hi surrealfrog, I'm an international student, too. I'm in Taiwan. How about you?

I also finished my interview via Gmail Video chat. I guess I screwed it up. The questions were like what surrealfrog mentioned. Most questions came from my personal statement, so remember to review the materials you submitted before your interview.

I hope I still have the chance to get in, though the interview didn't go well...

i had my phone interview friday, february 19th. i'm a screenwriting applicant from the states, but i live in madrid now and it was impossible for me to get to florida.
the interview was...not great. i don't know if it's because i was on speakerphone with three people, but there were a lot of awkward pauses. and also sometimes they seemed to not like my answers.
good luck to everybody with future interviews!

I have yet to receive an email or a phone call about an interview. Does anyone know how long they take to notify students who got an interview? I'm starting to get nervous :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
free2swim: I received an interview invite on Friday February 5th for Production. I think I was one of the first people called. I think most others got invites the following week. However, I believe everyone on the forum who's been invited to interview are from out of state. I'm not sure if Florida residents follow a different time table. I would definitely give Ebonee Rudolph a call at the film school. I'm sure she would be straight up with you and then you can have peace of mind. I know how hard it is to wait and not hear anything. I got the call from Florida but I haven't heard anything from UCLA. Just keep plugging, be confident about your craft and you'll get into a school. Good luck!

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon.

Rejected :(

I was really hoping to get in. I guess now I'm depending on UCF. I'm a little more confident about getting in there because they accepted a portfolio of work. I wish FSU did the same (although I understand their reason for not doing so). I also provided a demo reel on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAV-UPkQBU. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey free2swim. Really impressive! Seeing you reel helped realize my rejection letter is in the mail.

All kidding aside, nice! I have much work ahead of me if I'm to become a film director.

free2swim: your portfolio is awesome! VT_Film is correct, no form of rejection can change that. I do believe that grad school interview invites can be somewhat of a crapshoot especially if the school does not require a lot in the way of application materials. Have you considered applying to Chapman U in CA? Most concentrations require you submit a reel upfront along with a bunch of other materials. Their app is a lot of work but I believe it's truly worth it. Their final deadline is April 1st and I heard that people who applied for the final deadline last year still got financial help from the school.

I have been lurking for about three months now. Are there any current FSU MFA students on this thread that could answer a few questions for me? Or anyone else for that matter... I think it's strange that none of the first interviewers have discussed their on-campus interview. My biggest concern is finances. I mean, they won't allow you to work so do they supplement with assistantships. My next concern is housing. Where should I live?

I am with you maker2010, I would like to hear more about the interviews from those who have already had theirs.

From what I read, FSU does have assistantships. There was actually a separate form you had to include with your application, you had to write like a page discussing why you would be a good candidate for an assistantship. So, if you didn't do that with your application, I don't know how likely it will be for you to get one now...

As far as housing, I am a clueless out-of-stater haha

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back