FSU MFA Motion Picture Arts – Production 2020

I had my Skype interview yesterday as well! While the interviewers were friendly, it honestly felt more like a test than an interview. Sometimes when I answered questions like “What’s your Favourite movie?” they responded with “good” as if I had given a worthy answer. They asked the same questions that Gokuladharsan mentioned but they were phrased differently and I got asked quite a lot of follow up questions based on my responses and about my submitted materials.

I actually found many of the questions to be critical and at times, it really just felt like one of the interviewers disagreed with the way I saw the world? For example, I talked about my personal experiences making the short film I submitted and one of the interviewers responded by pointing out what they saw as contradictions in my experience.

At the end, I got the chance to ask questions about the program and personally didn’t feel excited by their answers. I got the vibe that I wasn’t the kind of candidate they were interested in? I also think I realized that FSU might not be a great for me.

I strongly agree with you! Because I mentioned Parasite film, but they did not like my answer. In fact, I think that film's message is found simple by them. their mail told me I will not need to prepare anything special for your interview but I was forced to answer many questions about cinema 101

I strongly agree with you! Because I mentioned Parasite film, but they did not like my answer.
tenor.gif

Sometimes when I answered questions like “What’s your Favourite movie?” they responded with “good” as if I had given a worthy answer.
I mentioned Parasite film, but they did not like my answer. In fact, I think that film's message is found simple by them.
Ok now I'm genuinely curious... What film was deemed "worthy"?

Parasite was an amazing film. It was a little predictable in that it was all certainly going to come tumbling down but I certainly didn't expect it to happen the way it did.

I had my Skype interview yesterday as well! While the interviewers were friendly, it honestly felt more like a test than an interview. Sometimes when I answered questions like “What’s your Favourite movie?” they responded with “good” as if I had given a worthy answer. They asked the same questions that Gokuladharsan mentioned but they were phrased differently and I got asked quite a lot of follow up questions based on my responses and about my submitted materials.

I actually found many of the questions to be critical and at times, it really just felt like one of the interviewers disagreed with the way I saw the world? For example, I talked about my personal experiences making the short film I submitted and one of the interviewers responded by pointing out what they saw as contradictions in my experience.

At the end, I got the chance to ask questions about the program and personally didn’t feel excited by their answers. I got the vibe that I wasn’t the kind of candidate they were interested in? I also think I realized that FSU might not be a great for me.
Do you mind me asking what questions you asked about the program and what their responses were?
Also I'm super sorry the interview went the way it did, it sounds kinda strange!

Do you mind messaging me too? I’m supposed to interview in person in a couple weeks, but hearing your story makes me wonder if it’s the right school for me as well. Really sorry you had that experience.
Will do! And I hope my experience doesn’t deter anyone too much! I think I just wasn’t the type of candidate they’re looking for.

Sounds like my interview went similarly to yours. Sometimes their follow-up questions were honestly a little aggressive, and I get that they wanted to challenge me but it left me with an uneasy feeling after the interview was finished-- kind of like they weren't satisfied? Anyways, glad it's over and now just have to hope for the best! :)

It's a little bit of a silly question to "test" someone on and you certainly don't want people to think they need to think of a critically acceptable movie to say. Then you aren't being real and you are second guessing everything you say.

For example one of my favorite films of all time is definitely not on an "approved" list. It's Throw Momma from the Train because it's a hilariously genius adaptation of Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train directed by Danny DeVito, written by Stu Silver, and is extremely clever. The phonebooth scene is one of my all time favorites. Maybe it's just my sense of humor. I don't know.

Or maybe they're testing you to see if you'll say something off of the beaten path like that and not something that is "approved". See! Second guessing. It's not good. Oh well.
They also said to pick something I think they would've seen. I understand, but then I felt like I couldn't answer genuinely either because my favorite film is We Are Little Zombies, a Japanese film that I saw in a festival in Asia last year and which is only just now being distributed in Japan.

Last edited:
They also said to pick something I think they would've seen. I get why, but then I felt like I couldn't answer genuinely either because my favorite film is We Are Little Zombies, a Japanese film that I saw in a festival in Asia last year and which is only just now being distributed in Japan.
I saw this film at a North American festival! It was great, such a wonderful choice!

Other things asked in the interview included an example of a teamwork situation I'd experienced where I had to work out a disagreement, an example of a film that I'd aspire to make which also reflects my interests/aesthetic tastes, and whether I had a particular area of filmmaking that I'd like to specialize in down the line like editing or cinematography.

When I answered the teamwork question they brushed me off and said like it sounded like my whole team (not just me) had a hard time in the situation I described and asked me to give another example, so I'd suggest preparing some backup answers in case they don't like what you said....

Thanks for the details!
Those really work.

I have been trying to think of how would I answer all these questions.
It is so hard to think of if I should speak deeply from my heart or think of an answer the interviewers would like.
I actually have a question about the film I dislike.
Currently, I would like to answer a Taiwanese film.
But I think they would never watch that before.

Should I pick something a little more famous? Or maybe an American film so they would know that better?

Thanks for the details!
Those really work.

I have been trying to think of how would I answer all these questions.
It is so hard to think of if I should speak deeply from my heart or think of an answer the interviewers would like.
I actually have a question about the film I dislike.
Currently, I would like to answer a Taiwanese film.
But I think they would never watch that before.

Should I pick something a little more famous? Or maybe an American film so they would know that better?
Maybe have two examples- one that you're sure they'll know (because it's what they asked), and one more if you have strong feelings about it and are able to describe the problem clearly enough that they can understand without having seen it.

Thank you so much, that would be great!! :)
Done! You now have the FSU badge and can now access their Private Forums. :)

If anyone else wants to be able to have the badge and private forum access please see this post here:

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back