getting into nyu

Clea

hi guys i was just looking for some advice for what i should do in teh next couple of years of high school so i can have the best chance possible of getting into the tisch film school at nyu. most of my life ive been focusing on acting and it's only been recently that ive found my passion for filmmaking. i won the fresh films contest and am in the process of making a movie right now. what im wondering about is my classes for next year. my school kind of sucks in the art department and im starting to wonder whats more important. becuase im in band i have to take summer school (its really stupid theres not enough periods in the day) so that takes up valuable time that i could be at film camps during the summer. im wondering if i should quit band for next year. how much does extra curriculars matter? ill still have a bunch of community service and plays and thespian society things to put on my resume. should i quit band in order to have more time for film opportunity? or do i need it for my resume? and on a totally different topic how important are the sat IIs to get into nyu?
thank you so much.
<3

Hi :) I'm going to Tisch in the fall.

I think your portfolio and extracurricular stuff could be half of the decision! My advice would be to make sure you get good SAT scores and good grades, but also spend as much time as possible working on your film portfolio. They're very good at detecting potential ability, so just really work on your demo reel. Do a few shorts, maybe compile the best scenes from each of them or something.

I had to take the SAT IIs because I was homeschooled, but for high school; students they are not required. If you can do good on them I'd suggest doing three anyway. The more you can prove you are academically, as well as artistically, skilled the better they like you.

Don't worry about art and film at high school - colleges like people with initiative who start their own projects. Just get some people together, and some equipment, and make some awesome shorts. :)

Your resumé sounds pretty good, and well rounded as is. Of course it's good to try and get some more things in there, but I'd concentrate on good grades, and a good portfolio for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to get into NYU also, and just wanted to ask you titanium, or any other NYU people, whether or not I have a realistic chance at getting into NYU.

I've been on the A Honor Roll through all of high school, my unweighted average is probably around a 94, and my weighted about a 97. I'm in all Honors courses, and will be taking 3 AP courses(AP English, AP Physics, and AP Government & Economics) next year. I'm a scholar athlete (I play varsity ice hockey in the fall/winter). My SAT score was a 1900 flat (about a 1260 on the old SAT), and I'll be taking that at least once more. So far I have done two films, one is already on the site, and one is on its way. I'm really trying to build a strong portfolio, so I'll be doing short films all summer long and during my senior year.

So, do I have a shot?

really trying to build a strong portfolio, so I'll be doing short films all summer long and during my senior year.

I also want to go there but i only have a 3.3 and I dont think thatll be enuff...Maybe if my sta scores are high,can i get in? ive played sports like golf and basketball those are extra curriculurs but i dont knoe...My senior year is the one comin up im taking film production...I think my grades are gonna hamper my chances. i PLan on taking about 4 ap classes and Im gonna have more EC's and community service. I really wanna get in to that school. i hope i have a chance what do you think titanium?

Your film reel seems to be about half of the decision, so REALLY work on that. NYU isn't big on sports, but any extracurricular stuff is a good thing. I can't say about the grades, but I don't think 3.3 is going to kill it.

Hey people, where do u think i stand lol

for starters, i'm def not as smart as mark. my grades fall between a 2.8-3.0. I have been filming since i was 10 though. i am only going to be a junior this coming year, and responsible for practically any filming that has gone on in my school (i am the "go-to" guy) i filmed movies for students, teachers, school plays etc.

I've entered a film into my states international film festival (younger part), and working on another film right now. i'm also going to the nyfa 6 week film camp next summer, i just love filming, but is there anything else i should do titanium

Originally posted by Ike:
Hey people, where do u think i stand lol

for starters, i'm def not as smart as mark. my grades fall between a 2.8-3.0. I have been filming since i was 10 though. i am only going to be a junior this coming year, and responsible for practically any filming that has gone on in my school (i am the "go-to" guy) i filmed movies for students, teachers, school plays etc.

I've entered a film into my states international film festival (younger part), and working on another film right now. i'm also going to the nyfa 6 week film camp next summer, i just love filming, but is there anything else i should do

Id say youve got me beat

prob not

the things i did weren't that hard, all you have to do is let it known that u like filming. and people will start asking you to do projects with them around school and etc.

Writing is a big thing also, i just found that out. constantly write your ideas, and save them. i heard they will like them (not positive though, i just heard)

Originally posted by Ike:
prob not

the things i did weren't that hard, all you have to do is let it known that u like filming. and people will start asking you to do projects with them around school and etc.

Writing is a big thing also, i just found that out. constantly write your ideas, and save them. i heard they will like them (not positive though, i just heard)

Thanx for the tips :)

there's lots of film stuff going on in miami. find companies that you could work for on the weekend and stuff. doing any job you can. it's practical experience, not just for NYU, but for the future.

boca raton, i remember hating that town. but i grew up in miami and only went up there for shows.

Hey guys,

I'm tryin to get into MFA for Film Production (NYU) in fall 2006. I'll be done with my undergrad in Business Management from Purdue University at West Lafayette this Dec. I have made 2 short films and a documentary so far. I'm planning to include the documentary (around 25 mins) in my creative portfolio of the application.

Is there anyone who got into the MFA program for film production at NYU? Can any of you give me any advice on gettin into the program?

Thanks.

hey duders,

i read in a different post that u r an international student like me. what r ur suggestions to get funding for MFA in NYU? do u knw the process of applying for Teaching Assistantships or Fellowships?

Thanks a lot buddy!

I love everyone's advice, and how it conveniently alludes to actually watching movies (good ones at that). All this other stuff is nice, but if you can talk confidently about film, while also expressing your own ideas, you will be more then fine. I mean a portfolio is nice, but film schools aren't looking for good filmmakers, they're looking for potential great filmmakers, and all you need to be that is a good idea, and an understanding of how to articulate that idea visually. Also, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but film school is a bit of a joke. I mean it's a good base to help you find your bearings, but at the end of the day no one in the business gives a dam about your film degree. This business is all about what you have done, not what you should be able to do. So if your hell bent on film school just look at it as a four year work period intended for preparing your reel, and if your gonna lay out that kinda cash, you better make sure its good, because hey, your tuition money could just as easily have funded your first feature.

I love everyone's advice, and how it conveniently alludes to actually watching movies (good ones at that).

Huh?

Watching good movies, while enjoyable and good for you, won't get you into film school, and no one has really alluded to the fact that you should watch them... :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back