Getting into USC School of Cinematic Arts: Advice and What Are My Chances?

Shmorca

Hello!
My name is Maia. I am a sixteen year old sophomore in high school, and I aspire to attend USC School of Cinematic Arts in some capacity, either for their Film and Television Production Program or their Screenwriting Program. Unlike most, it hasn't always been my lifelong dream, but now that I've become set on my goal I am intent on reaching it. If anyone has any advice for me, or things that I can do to up my chances or improve myself for attractiveness for the program, I'd appreciate any help. Film and Television is a conglomerate of everything I love, and my passion for it is vast. I apologize for my lack of tact, but I would like some advice on what I can do to improve my chances of attending. Below is a list of things I've done so far, and if any of you know what else I can add to my resume to make me seem attractive to USC SCA, please let me know! I'm not too versed in the cinematic arts just yet, but below is my creative and professional resume.

- 4.1 GPA
- Merit Scholar
- Honor Society
- Drama Student of the Year
- Black Belt in Karate ( 9 year training)
- Junior Olympic Qualifier for Karate
- Assistant teacher for Karate
- 2-year President of Creative Writing Club
- Worked on webcomics and entered Webtoon Contest 2018
- Organized and ran an cumulative single-narrative anthology with 20+ students
- Featured artwork in official cookbook and zine publications
- Treasurer of Comic Illustration Club, Creative Writing, and Art and Animation Club
- Leadership Council (Co-President)
- Summer Camp Junior Volunteer Counselor/Staff

Awards: Gold Key Regional Scholastic Winner in the Arts, Drama Student of the Year (x1), Relationship Award (x2), Servant Leadership Award (x2), Academic Excellence Award (x1), Merit Scholar (x1), Le Grand Concours French Contest Silver Medalist, Washington State Shudokan Karate Tournament Gold Medal, Canada Karate Tournament Silver Medal (x2), Honor Society.

I know it isn't an ideal, given that many of you have been studying and preparing for USC your whole lives. However, if you have any advice for a newbie and hopeful attendee, I'd really appreciate it, so I can prepare to apply in the next 2 years.
Thank you!

However, if you have any advice for a newbie and hopeful attendee, I'd really appreciate it, so I can prepare to apply in the next 2 years.
Thank you!
Moving to the Undergraduate forums but I reached to a couple of members of the site who are attending USC now and hopefully they'll be able to help you. Welcome to the site!

If there's anyone else out there who has insight please chime in too.

Although personally I always say that the biggest thing that you can work on is your story sense and your story telling ability. Learn the craft of how stories are told. Practice telling stories with pictures... practice various forms of dramatic writing... keep creating and keep trying new things. Filmmakers are storytellers and the more you can hone that craft the better your application, essays, and portfolio will be.

Last edited:
Hello!
My name is Maia. I am a sixteen year old sophomore in high school, and I aspire to attend USC School of Cinematic Arts in some capacity, either for their Film and Television Production Program or their Screenwriting Program. Unlike most, it hasn't always been my lifelong dream, but now that I've become set on my goal I am intent on reaching it. If anyone has any advice for me, or things that I can do to up my chances or improve myself for attractiveness for the program, I'd appreciate any help. Film and Television is a conglomerate of everything I love, and my passion for it is vast. I apologize for my lack of tact, but I would like some advice on what I can do to improve my chances of attending. Below is a list of things I've done so far, and if any of you know what else I can add to my resume to make me seem attractive to USC SCA, please let me know! I'm not too versed in the cinematic arts just yet, but below is my creative and professional resume.

- 4.1 GPA
- Merit Scholar
- Honor Society
- Drama Student of the Year
- Black Belt in Karate ( 9 year training)
- Junior Olympic Qualifier for Karate
- Assistant teacher for Karate
- 2-year President of Creative Writing Club
- Worked on webcomics and entered Webtoon Contest 2018
- Organized and ran an cumulative single-narrative anthology with 20+ students
- Featured artwork in official cookbook and zine publications
- Treasurer of Comic Illustration Club, Creative Writing, and Art and Animation Club
- Leadership Council (Co-President)
- Summer Camp Junior Volunteer Counselor/Staff

Awards: Gold Key Regional Scholastic Winner in the Arts, Drama Student of the Year (x1), Relationship Award (x2), Servant Leadership Award (x2), Academic Excellence Award (x1), Merit Scholar (x1), Le Grand Concours French Contest Silver Medalist, Washington State Shudokan Karate Tournament Gold Medal, Canada Karate Tournament Silver Medal (x2), Honor Society.

I know it isn't an ideal, given that many of you have been studying and preparing for USC your whole lives. However, if you have any advice for a newbie and hopeful attendee, I'd really appreciate it, so I can prepare to apply in the next 2 years.
Thank you!

Hi Maia,

It's so so cool that you know what you want to do at such a young age. YOU ARE NOT BEHIND.

I'm a graduate student at USC pursuing my MFA in Screenwriting. I'm an Annenberg Fellow, the recipient of the Edward Small Award and I've worked with some pretty big industry names in the last year. I'm also 28. I figured out that I wanted to be a screenwriter when I was 25. Before that I did "avant garde" theater and I was a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory.

Your resume is already fantastic. In fact, it's mind-blowing. It's okay to relax and just live your teenage life for a bit. You know what's going to make you an exponentially better writer? Reading a bunch, writing a bunch and, most importantly, having life experiences. Good, bad, weird, fun, holy sh*t life experiences. That's what's going to help your college essays stand out. At least for the screenwriting program. I'm not sure about production.

If you have any other questions please let me know. I'm happy to help :)

Your resume is already fantastic. In fact, it's mind-blowing. It's okay to relax and just live your teenage life for a bit. You know what's going to make you an exponentially better writer? Reading a bunch, writing a bunch and, most importantly, having life experiences. Good, bad, weird, fun, holy sh*t life experiences. That's what's going to help your college essays stand out. At least for the screenwriting program. I'm not sure about production.
This x10000 :)

Hi Maia,

It's so so cool that you know what you want to do at such a young age. YOU ARE NOT BEHIND.

I'm a graduate student at USC pursuing my MFA in Screenwriting. I'm an Annenberg Fellow, the recipient of the Edward Small Award and I've worked with some pretty big industry names in the last year. I'm also 28. I figured out that I wanted to be a screenwriter when I was 25. Before that I did "avant garde" theater and I was a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory.

If you have any other questions please let me know. I'm happy to help :)
Thank you so much for replying and giving me advice! I really, truly appreciate this so much, you have no idea. Thank you so much!

Moving to the Undergraduate forums but I reached to a couple of members of the site who are attending USC now and hopefully they'll be able to help you. Welcome to the site!

If there's anyone else out there who has insight please chime in too.

Although personally I always say that the biggest thing that you can work on is your story sense and your story telling ability. Learn the craft of how stories are told. Practice telling stories with pictures... practice various forms of dramatic writing... keep creating and keep trying new things. Filmmakers are storytellers and the more you can hone that craft the better your application, essays, and portfolio will be.
Thank you so much for helping and doing this for me. I am really truly appreciative. Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back