Getting ready for Film School MFA - Books & Films

Maybe current students can help out with this one. What books or films do you suggest we read/watch before starting grad school?? About film directing, screenwriting, producing, creative writing. (If a thread about this topic already exist, could someone point me in the right direction?)

Awesome thread idea! This happens to be one of the topics I want to write an article for on the site, but not sure when I'll get around to it so here are my top 5.

1) Getting it Write: An Insider's Guide to a Screenwriting Career by Lee Jessup
2) Getting It Done: The Ultimate Production Assistant Handbook by Joshua Friedman
3) Fearless Negotiating by Michael Donaldson (all his producing and legal books are fantastic)
4) lots of produced scripts. Many are published but you can also find the online fairly easily if they were ever award nominated. Don't read transcripts, only read the actual script.

Movie wise, I'd watch lots of documentaries about films. This is a pretty great list to check out. The 15 Best Documentaries About Making a Film
Hearts of Darkness and Lost in La Mancha are two of my personal favorites.

As I can only speak for screenwriting...
  1. Come up with tons of ideas! For both feature and TV. Drama and comedy. Life at grad school happens f a s t. You may write or develop 2-5 feature/TV ideas in a single quarter. Help future you out by developing the habit of 1 idea a week, if not 1 a day. It doesn't have to be good or thorough either. Just a few words is fine.
  2. Read lots of scripts. Read feature scripts and TV scripts. Read scripts from the Black List and whatever else you can find. Read good, professional scripts and not as good scripts. Think of what they did well and what they could improve upon.
  3. Watch some movies and TV shows. Mix it up between the classics and new stuff. Start keeping a master list of good writers / directors / editors / cinematographers that you enjoy and why.
  4. Write! Or maybe not! TBH you don't have to write a lot this summer. If it's stressful, you have 2 more years to be stressed so don't really worry about it. A lot of writers I know didn't actually do that much writing between getting accepted and starting the program. I didn't. But if you are super eager and never wrote a feature or TV pilot, you can give it a go :p

I suggest watching video essays as well. The best ones out there really teach a lot about the craft of filmmaking and analysing the stylistic choices of different filmmakers.
Some channels I recommend:
- Lessons for the Screenplay (for writing)
- Channel Criswell & Every Frame A Painting for Film Form/Aesthetics
- Nerdwriter for a variety of topics, in the "Understanding Art" section.

Also check out Nofilmschool's best video essays of 2016 and this reddit compilation of the best video essay channels out there.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back