1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

Good cheap film schools??? Is it possible? I'm new BTW...

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Oquendo, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Oquendo

Oquendo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, My name's Matt. I just graduated high school and starting at a community college nearby. The desired plan is to build enough credits and transfer out to good film school. Adding to that I have been making movies for about 2 years now and have a won a couple awards.

http://vimeo.com/oquendo

I do everything myself so I know the basics on how to edit, shoot, light, write, and direct. I hope to write and direct in the future as my primary targets.

I went to a community college because unfortunately I don't have the money for school(I'm paying $300 a SEMESTER!:) and my counselor told the easiest way to transfer is through community colleges granted not having funding. My educational ammo was about 3.5 in high school, but that'S not EVEN enough for UC's or Private schools to consider you(maybe UCM or UCR).

Now I recently talked to my counselor(twice), I came to the conclusion of UCLA and USC as my top choices since they are both close to home and very prestigious. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. I looked at the admission prices and they range from roughly $30-60,000 a year(including housing).

2. I looked at some of their "award winning" shorts and wasn't too impressed. Some grads say it was a waste of time and money and the money spent could've been used to back a picture themselves.

3. I know for a fact the film industry is a wishy-washy business. Some say experiance > education, some say education first, experiance later.

4. I know film schools are GREAT for networking and meeting new people who are creative.

That's 3 cons to one Pro.

I was wondering what are some cheap(er) schools that offer film? It seems every school that offers it comes with a high price tag. Is it possible for film education to cost less than 10,000 a year?

Forgive my naiveness, I haven't even started college yet. Thanks to anybody who comments!

Matt.

#1 Oquendo, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  2. hoohaProductions

hoohaProductions Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey man... I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm looking into CSULA and CSULB as two possibilities of a decent film school with a lower price. Maybe you should check in to them too.

3. little_bastard

little_bastard New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Academy of Art (San Fransico) is cheaper than UCLA and USC. But I'm not 100% sure. You'll have to research that school on your own. I know there's some topics on the forum about it. Good luck.

4. Roy Hatts

Roy Hatts New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I came here after finding out my friend is attending SVA this fall (he's transferring from a terrible state school). The thing is, I got into NYU and SVA, but I can't afford either, the prices are ludicrous. I do not care about going to some well known school anymore, but I'm very very very interested in learning film and cinematography. Can't do that where I'm at. Can someone help me as well?

I'm in the NJ/NY area, though. Thanks.

5. Oquendo

Oquendo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where's SVA?

6. Roy Hatts

Roy Hatts New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    NYC, but unless you've got 40 grand plus a year to spend on school, I'd skip it.

7. Oquendo

Oquendo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bastards! Who knew "connecting" with people would cost this much???

8. FarhanAli

FarhanAli Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some affordable universities:

Hollins University (MFA Screenwriting)
    Savannah College of Art and Design
    College of Santa Fe

9. little_bastard

little_bastard New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is SCAD a good film school? I've always heard bad things about it. Not to mention the horrible location.

10. Philro

Philro New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I personally went to San Jose State, you can read my review of the school here: http://www.filmmaker.com/node/18119

(The review probably applies to most state film schools, at least in California.)

The school really didn't cost me a whole lot because my wife and I were poor and we received grants. I was in the same boat as you when I was first graduated high school and decided that this was what I wanted to do, USC and UCLA were my top picks as well. Then I got married and we both had to find a school to agree on- cost was also an issue.

Coming from someone who's only been interviewed by UCLA and now a Grad filmmaker at SDSU (paying $4k a year to shoot on Sony XD cams) I can honestly say that I really don't see how a prestigious film school is going to make your work better- other than the folks you're going to be surrounded with. But I don't go to UCLA, they talked like it was going to be a lot of hoops to jump through, in school six days a week, it didn't appeal to me.

Who you work and connect with is very important, yes, but so is knowing your craft. And you can find people to work with, you'll be surprised how just how far collaborating with a good DP and actors can get you. Read the good books on directing by yourself. Realize that there are also only a few select creative positions, about five or six, behind the camera. If you fill those positions with people you trust then you're golden, it doesn't matter what school you go to. Get that great short into a festival and talk with other filmmakers, pick their brains.

That's how I'm doing it at least and I'm having fun. I've got a little school debt, but not too much. Good luck man.

11. Professional Film School Mentor

Professional Film School Mentor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know, why the F*&# is film school so difficult!?
    I use to be a film school student. That lasted 1 year. I realized, im gonna pay like 40k a year and only then do I get to start to climb my way to the top ? ? But i want to be a director...

Any Idea What to do?

12. Jayimess

Jayimess Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

spam spam spam

13. Poplar Park Films

Poplar Park Films Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Capilano University, North Vancouver BC

around 9 G's a year (not including housing)

I'm doing my second year, love the place

14. Jayimess

Jayimess Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    There's Ohio University, as well. From what I hear, they work it out so it's practically free...

15. jared

jared New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  16. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +290
  17. Alexandrathegreatest

Alexandrathegreatest New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  18. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +290
  19. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +344
    @Chris W -- looks like this is more a question regarding undergrad? maybe the OP would get more advice if it switched forums?