• IT'S HAPPENING! Celebrate interview season by becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $15! (25% off) by entering the coupon code "ITSHAPPENING" . Thanks for being a member of the site!

dnyc98

I'm a rising senior in an undergraduate architecture program (and minor in digital production arts). I want to work on set in film now so I'm trying to focus on graduate school for film.

I don't have a ton of experience but I currently have made a 15 second animation, helped produce an award-winning short film for Campus Movie Fest at my school, and do some drafting for theater sets (basically I draw out the set designer's design in an to-scale AutoCAD file for the theaters to use). I found a program at Syracuse called Television, Radio and Film, MA that I'm interested in but all the other programs I've seen are looking for people with much more film background than I currently have.

Is there anywhere that I can apply without trying to throw together a 10-minute film portfolio in a limited time or a program that is open to undergrad majors not in film-related programs?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Is there anywhere that I can apply without trying to throw together a 10-minute film portfolio in a limited time or a program that is open to undergrad majors not in film-related programs?
Alot of programs don't care if you didn't do film as an undergrad and in fact I think some prefer it as they can "mold" you their way.

@paolz317 is attending or just finished AFI screenwriting and had this to say:

My undergraduate degree was in biology and I had absolutely no prior set/film experience when I applied. Now this may be a little different since I'm a screenwriter and I did have moderate writing experience, but again, none that was directly related to film. When I spoke to an admissions officer at AFI and UCLA, they actually said they prefer applicants from diverse educational fields and, most importantly, applicants with 'life experience' meaning you did something beyond HS/college

This has been a common question over the years if you want more assurance:

Don't let lack of experience deter you.

Welcome the site!

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews