1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

Greetings!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by RLH, Jun 7, 2017.

1. RLH

RLH New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I'm a NYC-based writer and analyst for a publishing company looking to apply to 1 or 2-year MA/MFA film production programs for Fall 2018. While I lack professional production experience, I've consistently been working on shorts and other creative projects for the majority of my 5+ years since graduating.

Looking forward to interacting with everybody on this site! I'm already finding it to be incredibly helpful, and am sure it will be a great place to trade questions, .

• Like Like x 2
  2. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Welcome! it's a little slow around this time of this year, but it will pick up closer to application season. I work in advertising and make short films (sparingly) in my spare time. Gearing up for my second round of applying to Film production programs. Any particular schools in mind?

• Like Like x 2
  3. RLH

RLH New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply, dvxdm! I'm looking mostly for programs with a mixed focus of both creative and commercial/industry aspects of production, but prefer it to lean towards the latter. Also, given that I'll be turning 30 during the first semester if (knocks on wood) I get accepted anywhere, I'm only looking at 1 or 2 year degrees. UNCSA has been at the top of my list since early in the research process, while Chapman and SCAD also seem to fit that bill. Open to any insights or suggestions, of course.

How about you, where do you have your sights set on your second round through the app process?

Best,
    RLH

4. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Currently I'm planning to reapply to NYU and Columbia College Chicago. Funding is one of my biggest priorities, and that's influenced my choices. If you're looking for an industry standard 2 year program, I'd suggest trying the AFI Conservatory as well. It's quite expensive though. CCC's Cinema Directing Program is also 2 years, but I must admit I know less about their orientation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RLH

RLH New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Appreciate the insight, BadouBoy -- I took your advice and looked in CCC, and it seems to be very much in line what I've been looking for. Are you applying to the Cinema Directing or the Creative Producing program?

Also, while AFI would be an amazing opportunity to pursue, the cost is a little daunting. Congrats on getting in there, I'm sure that's an indication of the quality of your work and here's hoping NYU sees that this winter. Good luck on the upcoming round of applications!

6. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate that. I'm applying to the Cinema Directing program, as I'd like to focus on that. Good luck to you as well!